“Finally, Great New York style Pizza in Philly!!”

Gennaro's Tomato Pie
Ranked #907 of 4,461 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Pizza
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I'm from northern NJ, just outside of New York. I've lived in Philadelphia for 12 years. When I first moved into Philly, there was a Lombardi's Pizza on 18th Street, just off of Rittenhouse Square. Unfortunately, when 10 Rittenhouse was being built, the location closed to make way for new condos. The owners were going to open another restaurant, but a family illness forced them to run the New York location of Lombardi's in Little Italy. Since 2005, Philadelphia has been without great New York style pizza. I learned to like Zavino and Mama Palma's, but the sugary sweet crusts and sugary sauces that make traditional Philadelphia pizza, even those places that call themselves New York pizza, left me unsatisfied until I made trips back to New York. I have looked forward to the day when great pizza would return, and thank God it has! We visited the new location (as of January 2013) on May 31, 2013, after I did some research on new pizza in Philadelphia. I didn't know beforehand that the former owner of Lombardi's Philly opened Gennaro's Tomato Pie! Michael and his wife are as friendly as ever, and the pizza is delicious!! Amazing thin crust done crispy, with just the right acidity to the sauce! It doesn't taste sugary sweet, like most Philadelphia pizza. The decor it really cute, done in 1940s style, really feels like small Italian restaurants in Little Italy or Brooklyn. It's also BYOB, so you can bring your favorite beer or red wine. I highly recommend this pizza and am overjoyed to have these guys back in Philly making the best tasting pizza in town! They do not deliver, but you can order to go.

1  Thank Michael S

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Was in town for business and heard that Gennaro's opened up! I went with a friend of mine and we met up with Mike the owner who is scion of the the famous Lombardi's pizza restaurant in New York City and used to operate the Lombardi's in Philadelphia before the old location on 18th Street was closed down, demolished and turned into condo's. Gennaros' is named after the founder of Lombardi's. This new concept restaurant is based on the menu from Lombardi's from the 1940's period. In fact, the restaurant interior, and music playing through speakers is also from that time. The pie, actually tomato pie is closely reminiscent of the Trenton style pizza (Delorenzo's) and is a very different offering to the typical styles of pizza offered in Philly. It's a very good pie and you can also ordered it charred like Lombardi's style. We split the pie with one half pepperoni and the other sausage. Both were excellent. The tangy sauce and the unique mozzarella cheese were great!. It's a good handling pie crisp and easy to fold and eat.

Mike had the waitress bring over a sampling of their three desserts on the house. My favorites were the pineapple upside down cake and cookies and cream dessert, but my friend liked the chocolate mousse cake. All Mike's grandmother's recipes. You can pre-order trays of dessert for parties to go I was also told. All food is made in house.

Keep in mind that this is a BYOB cash only restaurant and delivery service will be starting soon. I was told that menu items like sandwiches will eventually be added. There was a party of 16 ladies who shared some Limoncello with us and helped enhance the mood. So depending on time of day and day of the week, this place although small can hold a good gathering of people but if this palce takes off it's going to get harder and harder.

Although Mike would have loved to reopen Lombardi's in Center City, rents are too steep and this neighborhood especially with East Passyunk being the new hotbed for aspiring chefs the location is actually perfect. Hopefully Mike's concept will become a successful franchise and do well. I sure think it will.