“If IKEA Made a Hotel.....”

Home2 Suites by Hilton Philadelphia - Convention Center, PA
Ranked #14 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 15, 2014

... this would be the place. Seriously, I love this place. I wish I could have stayed more than just the one night. Right across the street from the Convention Center and Reading Terminal Market, it's really right where you'd want to be.

My room was really quite nice. Queen bed (or maybe it was a king) with a sofa. Full kitchen with keurig and complimentary K-cups. The decor was mod and made me think of the displays at an IKEA. That's why I made that comment.

I found the front desk personnel to be courteous and helpful. The only thing I did not care for was housekeeping's professionalism. At 857 on the morning of my checkout, someone from housekeeping knocked on my door. I was still in bed. Checkout isn't until noon. I am sure a lot of guests leave early, but I'd appreciate it if I could actually finish my beauty rest. At 1012am, someone knocked on the door again. This time I yelled, "GO AWAY!" I called down to the front desk to request a late checkout and there were no more knocks on my door.

I do not know if they have some kind of electronic system showing which rooms have been vacated. I know it's important to clean the rooms quickly so they can be turned over, but really, 857AM?

Also, a housekeeper on the 5th floor was talking on her cell phone in the hallway quite loudly. I could hear most of her conversation. I know it was a housekeeper because after someone knocked on my door at 1012AM, I decided to just give up trying to sleep in (I almost never get to sleep in) and decided to go across the street to Reading Terminal Market for a butter bar. The whole time I was getting dressed, she was on the phone and when I came back from the market about 20 minutes later, she was still on the phone. I don't care about her talking on the phone while working (people can multi-task), but I do care that she was making a lot of noise.

Despite this, it wasn't enough for me to knock my rating down a point. This was an isolated incident that would not at all affect my decision to stay here again--which I most certainly would!

Oh yes, quite crowded in the breakfast area but it's not a big deal. Most people just want coffee anyway and there's a sideboard for that, if you don't want to use the Keurig in your room.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank WorfsBabyMama
Write a ReviewReviews (1,638)

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Staying here on day 4 of a 5 night trip. Day 1 hotel had no milk at breakfast and ran out of fruit as I arrived. Chaotic breakfast facilities with no manager to be seen. Reception could not care and when I asked for a manager ignored me. Day 2 there were no sandwiches available and literally thirty people waiting for 4 microwave ovens.

Could not spend 15 minutes heating up an egg sandwich that mcdonalds would be ashamed to serve. Went to get coffee but only decaf was available and guess what they ran out of milk.

Last two days I skipped breakfast and bought fruit juice the night before from the 7 eleven around the corner.

I paid extra for a one bedroom suite which is large but is oddly arranged and soulless. There are only two pillows for the king size bed. Asked the cleaning lady if I could get another but nothing was left.

Looks like it will be dated and broken quickly. There is only one light in the front room so you cannot read when sitting on the sofa and instead are stuck sitting at the desk.

Bathroom is very basic to Hampton inn or below standard. No soap just the liquid soap containers you get at the gym.

The concept is a complete ripoff of the newer comfort inns but hilton cut corners and instead have bright colors but no finishing touches that complete the room. Would not stay at this chain again

The marriott, leowes and holiday garden inn are all within 2 blocks. My staff got rooms in these and loved them. Spotless, great service and no more expensive.

View from the one bedroom suites overlook a carpark so your better off not booking these

2  Thank luischable
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Difficult to fault this hotel. Clean spacious rooms with lots of facilities--the kitchen meant i could shop in Reading market and prepare my own snacks. The work desk is great ( although would have preferred a stronger desk lamp--it looks trendy but needed more light!). The staff are cheery and say hello and clearly want to provide a good service. Overall a very good experience at a good price

Reviewed August 12, 2014

The location was perfect! Right across the street from a market, and close to all government buildings. The room was pristine, the gym was conducive to working out and the breakfast each morning was just what I needed. This is one of the better Hilton's I've stayed and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2014

First the "good"--wonderful place to stay, with helpful staff (the bellmen are particularly helpful), large rooms with all the amenities one could hope for. Location very nice also with mass transit options only blocks away. Off street parking is quite expensive but not atypical for a large city.
Now the "bad" or better put, the "disappointing"-- the physical layout restrictions of the breakfast area just cannot handle the volume of guests using this amenity. Not nearly enough space allotted to the presentation of the food and a woeful shortage of places to sit to enjoy what food one could extract from the food station. The facility would be better served by making less food available not more, thus forcing its guests to look elsewhere for their breakfast options.
All-in-all this is a terrific place to stay...remember, its a hotel not a restaurant!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 10, 2014

Steps from the Convention Center, across from Reading Terminal Market, this hotel couldn't be better located. While no restaurant/bar, the hotel makes up for it with all day coffee/tea/hot chocolate available in the lobby where there are numerous sitting areas ranging from designer occasional chairs to various regular/tall tables and chairs for impromptu meetings. An extensive daily breakfast (included with the room rate) is also served in the lobby or you can pick up breads/fixings and bring them back to the room. Spacious rooms include kitchens with plates/cutlery/glasses - as well as a toaster, Keurig (supplied as you wish) and a full size fridge (with freezer!) - the only thing missing is a corkscrew (but front desk will open bottles in a pinch).

We stayed in a King studio, 6th floor facing the Market - could not have been better! The very practical curtain that can be drawn between the bed and sitting area (a pull-out sofa) makes it very practical for early risers to start working without disturbing sleeping partners. The decor is practical, crisp and everything is spotlessly clean. The bathroom sink has very practical drawers as well as a shelf with well-stocked towels. The "light housekeeping" works very well, and upon request is continued throughout the week-end. Housekeeping is attentive, and having left a note to indicate we'd prefer tea for the Keurig, found 4 such pods left for us. Overall staff service is very professional, friendly and welcoming to any particular requests. We would definitely return for our next visit.

Room Tip: An upper floor, facing the street is not overly noisy, but is brighter.
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Great location! Across the street from Reading Terminal Market, walking distance to the stop for all the tour bus companies. Chinatown and Independence Hall are not too far away as well. The breakfast was good. We were able to pick up the pre-packed sandwiches and omelettes and heat them up in our room. Parking is a bit expensive, but worth it if you are going in and out with your car. Upon checkout, the front desk told me it would be cheaper to pay at the parking kiosk, but he lied. I ended up paying more than the $40 per night that the hotel charges, so lesson learned. The parking garage is right next to the hotel. Kids enjoyed the pool, but it was rather small and got crowded fast. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back here in the future.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family