“Better at a Bachelor Party, huh Babe?”
Review of Fette Sau

Fette Sau
Ranked #226 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Last summer the hubby half of this pair went to Fette Sau on a boys night out. All the Mrs. heard for 6 months was how Fette Sau was the most awesome BBQ this side of the Mason Dixon, how she just had to go, how the brisket was so brilliant. So on a cold winter's night she drove him into town for his birthday dinner. He chewed, he weakly smiled, he went back for a second helping, but he didn't beam. Far from it. "You look a bit disappointed. Did you love it as much as last time or was it only amazing drunk and stupid with the guys?" "Yeah…I guess, so…", he mumbled. As for her take on it? Pretty good, over priced and certainly no big whoop.

There are newer reviews for Fette Sau

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Sorry Craig Laban, you just didn't get this one right...it ain't Henri's Hotts BBQ . Coupled with your review and the fact that it's a Stephen Starr restaurant...Fette Sau was a must. So, recently I joined 2 friends who are barbeque mavens. Dinner consisted of brisket, St. Louis ribs, pulled pork, beans, slaw, broccoli salad, potato salad and of course beer.

We are all Philadelphians, however, I spent over a year in central Georgia, 1 friend lived in St. Louis and the 3rd really does magic on a grill! Sorry to say that while nothing was outrageously poor ( the brisket was over cooked ) nothing was memorable. High prices/mediocre food=oh,oh!

Atmosphere: We read reviews and knew exactly what the place was going to look like and that it was cafeteria style. It was a cold January mid week and maybe 25% filled. This was a nice fun feeling- would have hated the noise level at capacity. In the supring or summer it might be a fun place to listen to Blue Grass and run up a pricey bar tab.

Staff: We were first timers and the servers were very gracious and helpful answering questions about variety, portions etc. Since I really am a novice about "craft" whiskey and even beers the bartender really was great at his trade. Descriptives such as helpful, funny, knowledgeable, playful, come to mind. He could have worked any neighborhood joint or upscale Center City bistro...the tip reflected this.

Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

As a southerner I can admit that there chicken is great and so is there key lime pie. Otherwise, the food is simply decent, especially for the price paid. Too much use of vinegar and not enough smoke. Also, the house made BBQ sauce is not good. I would rather bring store bought sauce.

The ambiance is nice and for Philly, it's the best I have found. If it were in Atl or Nashville, it wouldn't crack the top 20.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Originally Fette Sau was absolutely fantastic. Last 2 times I've been there the items I get (brisket and pork ribs) have lost some flavor. I asked management and they said they stopped putting as much dry rub on because customers were complaining. It's a shame. It was the best BBQ around before they changed the recipe!

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

I came here at around 6:00pm on a Saturday. Upon walking in, the place smelled great and I was really excited to try their food. There were 6 people in line ahead of me and it took about 15 minutes to have my order taken. If the sluggish service was the only issue I think I still could have liked this place. But, I ordered a half pound of brisket, 2 beef ribs, and a side of baked beans. The bill came to $47...$47! Looking down at the tray I couldn't believe it was $47 worth of food. On top of that, the food was mediocre at best. It wasn't the worst meal I've had but it was far from the best and miles away from the price I paid. I left there feeling like I had wasted my money. The bottom line is this restaurant is in a city where there's little competition for good BBQ and it's trendy. If it was opened in another part of the country where BBQ is more common, this place would be laughed out of business. If you're hard up to overpay for mediocre BBQ in a dimly lit "hip" place then go for it. Otherwise, I'd recommend saving your money.

2  Thank vne147