“Excellent lunch”

Cuisines: Japanese
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

The signature Terakawa Ramen had a smooth, rich, delicious tonkotsu soup made from pork bones, with roast pork, egg, kikuragi wood ear, shinachiku bamboo and beni-shoga ginger on top. It was warm and wonderful!

Visited April 2014

• Korean first
Lower Gwynedd, Pennsylvania
“Great Ramen!”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Terakawa is a nice alternative to Chinese when visiting Chinatown in Philly. I have been there twice and haven't been disappointed. The service was good both times and with the open kitchen, you can see everything that's being prepared. We had three different ramen dishes and they were all very good.

• Visited October 2013
Hawai'i
“Nice shop near Chinatown”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Thank you fellow Yelpers in helping us find a good ramen shop in Philly!

ATMOSPHERE:
Contemporary Asian decor. Clean and newer looking shop. Counter & table seating.

FOOD:
Gyoza - 5 pieces of pork & veggie dumplings fried to perfection, with a delicious dipping sauce.

Mini Tokyo fried chicken curry - What a great deal at only $2! Small bowl of rice topped with the crispy chicken & curry gravy. Delish! I wasn't a curry fan but my taste buds are a-changin'!

Mayu ramen - When I ordered this, both the chef & server acted surprised and asked me if I've ever had ramen before, and told me what the broth was made of and that its the same broth that's in the Terakawa signature ramen but a step above it. Come on now, what Asian do you know who hasn't eaten ramen? I know they meant well. I just said yes and that I was sure that's what I wanted. Ok, the broth is made from a pork bone base so the color is a milky brown but they also add in mayu which they tout as a dark roasted leek & crushed garlic oil mixture, which adds a layer of black oil seasoning that floats at the top. The broth is mild in flavor and is very rich and filling. Some reviewers mistake it as bland but I don't think it's meant to be an overpowering flavor. The toppings of char siu, red ginger, mushrooms, scallions, and egg all compliment the broth nicely. I've never had anything like this so I'm glad I tried it. It's definitely not for the average ramen eater - you've got to be a fan.

Tan tan ramen - My partner added a hard boiled egg to his dish. I tasted the broth only. It's a bit sweet for a tan tan base and not spicy. I've had a better version at Goma Tei in Honolulu which is spicier.

SERVICE:
Walked in at 3pm on a Monday afternoon and got seated immediately as the place was empty. Our female server was very friendly but disappeared after our order was taken. Someone else brought over our food. She didn't check on us or refill our waters. The chef was very engaging and cared about what his customers were eating as he consulted with us while ordering.

OVERALL:
Nice & clean ramen shop in Philly's Chinatown with great food and average prices. Definitely a come back spot!

• Visited September 2013
south jersey
“Japanese Noodle House”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Walking in Philadelphia's Chinatown we spotted a small Japanese Noodle House.
This place is a treat. Compact with not being cramped. Wooden stools for chairs, which were surprising comfortable.
The menu, as the name suggests, is mostly noddle dishes, with a few curry platters for those who
don't want the carbs.
The four of us all ordered something different and we all enjoyed our meal. I thought mine was the best, Terakawa Ramen, their signature ramen dish.

• Visited September 2013
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
“Great ramen in Philly”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I usually only write restaurant reviews while traveling away from Philadelphia, but my recent visit to Terakawa Ramen at 9th and Race in Asiatown merits an exception. No doubt, there will be Philly tourists in search of good ramen. My group consisted of four dinner guests. We started with five appetizers, Gyoza, Sausage, Tempura Shumai, Edaname and Tako Yaki. The Gyoza was very delicate and delicious. Our waitperson recommended the Tako Yaki - a dish that included diced octopus; it was unusual and very good. We probably went overboard on appetizers because only ramen followed, but we wanted a taste of everything, sort of like Japanese tapas. We all thoroughly enjoyed all the appetizers, but I would leave the sausage off the next visit and try something else recommended by the waitperson. We ordered three different types of ramen noodle soup. I had the house special Terakawa Ramen. It included lots of cappelini size noodles with traditional toppings of pork slices, egg half and vegetables. The broth was very good - not too salty. I made the mistake of adding some additional pork slices to my order and some remained in the bowl at the meals conclusion. With a heavy round of appetizers, most diners will be satisfied with the ramen without additional toppings. Two in my party had the Shoyu Ramen. For this dish the ramen was wider and flatter and, according to my son, not as prevalent as in my dish. My daughter-in-law had the Tan Tan Ramen, a spicier dish. Upon questioning as to its spiciness, the waitperson offered to add a side bowl of regular ramen broth to cut the spiciness, and the offer was accepted and used. All of us were delighted with our meals. Now I don't have to go to New York City to enjoy ramen. It is right here at home at Terakawa Ramen. Terakawa Ramen is a BYOB. For a very filling meal for four, our bill, including tip, came to a surprising $78. We will definitely return. One word of caution, this is a Japanese ramen restaurant, no sushi here.

• Visited January 2013