“Great burger!”
Review of Red Owl Tavern

Red Owl Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
Red Owl Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 4,461 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Corner of 5th & Chestnut
Transit: Market East Station - When exiting the station walk East on Market Street until you reach 5th street. Make a right onto Chestnut St. For additional directions please see http://www.monaco-philadelphia.com/map/index.html
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We were pressed for time , had a great seat overlooking the bar from the second floor... People watching ! Loved the burger , nicely cooked, very tasty pesto. Wife, vegetarian, enjoyed the vegetable a casserole, good not great.
Prompt service, friendly, liked the atmosphere . We nt back for breakfast and had tasty steak and eggs.

Natalie P, General Manager at Red Owl Tavern, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Hey Bciliberto,

The people watching from our mezzanine is prime, isn't it? I'm so happy that you chose the burger as your entree. It really is one of the best in the city. Thank you for all of your wonderful comments and we hope to see you again!

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The ambience of the Red Owl is great and had me looking forward to a good meal. Maybe its a Philadelphia thing, but I've never tasted food that has had that much salt in it. Overall the menu looked good, but the food put on the table was at best average and at worst, poor. Really didn't enjoy anything and I so much wanted to.

1  Thank GazPerth

Hi GazPerth,

I am so sorry that your meal was not what you expected. I will check in with the rest of my team to make sure that this is not an on-going issue. If you're ever back in Philadelphia, I would love it if you would give us another chance. We will see you then.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We had initially just gone in here for a drink to kill some time whilst it was raining. After looking at the lunch menu we ordered a bowl of crab chowder which was delicious and has been one of the many things we ate in the States that we both agree was up there with the best. The atmopshere was nice and staff were friendly.

Hey northernmonkey29,

Well i'm not happy that it was raining but I am thrilled that it made you stop into Red Owl to try our soup. We have some very talented chefs in our kitchen whipping up some awesome soups. We hope to see you again next time you're in the States!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Hangar steak was tasty but a portions were diet-sized. I thought the $9 grilled asparagus, which was basically 7 or 8 very small, thin stalks, was slightly comical. Good flavors, just trying a bit too much for the "chef driven" image.

Hi ATLDawg,

I am so sorry to hear that you did not find value in your meal at Red Owl. We do our best to purchase our food from local vendors which tend to make our prices a bit higher. We do hope that you'll come in again to taste some more of our delicious menu items.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were staying at the hotel Monaco, and joined the wedding party for a drink before the ceremony and one afterwards (we closed the bar at 2am). My wife and I had breakfast in the morning which was very good (food and service). I suggest getting a table in the loft in which the tables are not so close together.

Hey Al168Trenton_NJ,

So happy that you were able to join us for drinks AND breakfast! It's impressive that you closed the bar down and woke up in time for breakfast! I'm so happy to hear that you had a good time with us at Red Owl as well as the Hotel Monaco. We look forward to seeing you again soon.