“Good Food but a Little Pricy Even for Old City”
Review of Roe

Roe
Ranked #955 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I hate giving an "average" rating to a restaurant with good food, but the quality is negated by the price and the fact that the food didn't "wow" me for what I paid. I'm getting ahead of myself though.

First, I ate at Roe, a Thai-Japanese fusion restaurant in Old City Philly for lunch with a friend. Lunch consisted of a Thai-styled Iced Tea, a Coke, Beef Teriyaki, A Thai Beef and Ginger Salad of some type, some assorted sushi and the ubiquitous miso soup for both of us. Keep mind that this is from the actual lunchtime menu. All of the food was good though the teriyaki tasted a bit, well, Kikkoman store sauce like. My friend liked his salad and we liked the sushi but didn't love it.

Now, for price. Lunch cost without the tip nearly $70. The nearby Cuba Libra, a good yet notoriously expensive place in Old City (which I DO recommend) would have been less for more, similar or better quality food. That is completely out of line for the quality of the food we had.

The proprietor, the staff and the atmosphere were all excellent and I did in fact like the place. I just can't justify ever eating there for dinner when lunch prices were so high. In their defense, they DID have some cheaper "specials," but I want what I want, not what's recommended as cheaper.