“Warm Friendly Farm to Table near Rittenhouse”
Review of Russet

Russet
Reserve with OpenTable
Russet is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #629 of 4,488 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Between 15th and 16th
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Excellent BYOB with phenomenally great farm to table food. Warm & comforting ambiance. Starters:3 had ravioli with egg, ricotta & 5g black truffles (both inside & on top of ravioli)($32),well worth it, deliciously silky creamy butter/cream sauce,cut into the pasta & sunny side egg bursts out, mixing with the cream, truffles, etc. Ask for a spoon for this dish; memorable bite. Tuna carpaccio: buttery tonno meets creamy eggs & tart beets, great; Cauliflower gratin: A++; pork belly: incredibly tender. Scallops: fresh, sweet, perfectly cooked with earthy carrots,onions & potatoes. Desserts are just as special, esp. anything with ice cream. BYOB makes splendid dining reasonable & good for lacto/ovo vegetarians & carnivores alike.

1  Thank pert-traveler

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had a good and simple brunch at Russet. There was a good range of choices on the menu. Food was excellent, presentation was good, and service was friendly and efficient. Being able to make an OpenTable reservation at the last minute was helpful.

Reviewed November 4, 2012

Because it is a farm to table restaurant the menu changes frequently. We just relocated near here and where we lived we had several Farmer's Markets that have won awards. There were always several chefs there buying for their restaurants so I expect fresh products. I was not disappointed. It was so good I'd like to go back for every menu change. There were 4 of us and we all had a great meal. The staff was attentive and very helpful with questions about the menu. For an appetizer I had hand rolled pici with broccoli, garlic confit and pecorino ginepro. I found out that pici was pasta that was between spaghetti and buccatelli. It was delicious and the pasta was better than that from Italian restaurants. The others had ravioli, pappardelle and tuna tartare. All were great and so were the desserts. This is a BYOB restaurant which I really liked.

1  Thank Helenmc50
Reviewed October 23, 2012

This is one of Philadelphia's "BYO" restaurants that is chef-owned and emphasizes locally raised ingredients. Two of us dined recently and enjoyed our meal, with friendly and competent service and well-crafted and creative, but not superb, food. On any given night the menu will change depending on the availability of ingredients. Ours was dominated by fall vegetables, mushrooms, and local seafood and meat. I stuck to "firsts" and was happy with my choice. Papparadelle with chanterelles was a bit over-dosed with its "foie gras butter" (mainly butter) but nonetheless delicious. Sfomato of yellow squash was tender and flavorful. Perfect for a pre-concert dinner; the staff is efficient and minds the clock once they know your needed departure time.

Portions are not large which is fine by me. I would rather clean my plate and feel satisfied than leave mounds and feel stuffed. Two courses and dessert came to about $80 and of course BYO means wine was not included.

You will need reservations! It's tiny.

1  Thank SPTraveler18
Reviewed October 20, 2012

BYO - Farm-to-table. One of the best restaurants I've eaten in - in the world! Bringing your own bottle makes this a very affordable and memorable restaurant. Near Rittenhouse Square. Small dining room, so call for a reservation (or use OpenTable).