“The waiters act as if you are bothering them?”
Review of Sawatdee

Sawatdee
Ranked #1,032 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This was my second try at Sawatdee and it was an even worse experience than the first. The first time the food was mediocre and the portion size was pretty small for the price.
The 2nd time we went with five people and the restaurant was just clearing out from a private party. It was 23 degrees F outside and four people from our party were at the restaurant ON TIME and we were the ONLY four people in the entire place. The waiter insisted that we leave the restaurant and come back later so they could clean up? There was plenty of room to stand by the door or anywhere else for that matter. It was one of the rudest things I have ever seen at a restaurant to ask the patrons to go away, out into the 23 degree weather in the snow and come back later. How do these waiters clean up when there are other patrons in the place? Do they make all the people sitting at the other tables get up and go outside to wait while they clean the table next to them? We went to a Mexican restaurant across the street and had an excellent time! I have lived in this neighborhood for years and will never go to Sawatdee again.

1  Thank Matthew P
There are newer reviews for Sawatdee

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Our daughter, Bridget, really likes this place and recommended it when we asked if she would care to join us on a recent autumn evening for dinner. It is just a short seven blocks from our home, and though I was rather tired after a long day, we walked there in just a few minutes.

The corner location is small and snug but also bright and clean. Wait persons are knowledgeable and polite. Prices are very moderate and it's a BYOB.

For starters, I had the soup, while Les Girls split a house salad. I am a sucker for spices so I heartily enjoyed the Tom-Yum chicken, with chili paste, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and mushrooms.

Bridget is also a sucker for spice, perhaps too much so. We both ordered the Drunken Noodles with Chicken (off the menu, but available nonetheless). I took mine as it came (pleasantly spicy and tingly), but she asked for hers Extra Hot, and the kitchen complied cheerfully, while she tearfully ate the lot. La Cindee had the Pad Thai, which she enjoyed very much.

The tariff was low, and the tummies were filled nicely. I will go back, but with so many economically priced and excellent Thai, Pan-Asian, and Vietnamese places to choose from within just three or four blocks' walk, I will save my next visit to Sawatdee for a return bout with the Drunken Noodles, and maybe kick it up just one notch.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Sawatdee is my go to thai restaurant in my area. The food is nothing extraordinary but they certainly do a solid rendition of the typical thai curry/noodle dishes. It is definitely not spicy enough for my tastes and the meats are a bit flavorless as I'm pretty certain they have them already cooked and just toss them into the sauce before cooking as opposed to cooking them in the sauce for a significant period of time. Nonetheless, its byob and the price is certainly right. Quaint atmosphere as well.