“As perfect a bistro as you'll find in the world”

Vernick Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 4,629 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Reviewed August 30, 2014

I've been to bistros and fancy restaurants from San Fran to NYC, London, Paris, Cape Town, but I was blown away by the quality of the food I ate here for its price. My starter, chicken and mushroom were some of the best I've ever eaten-- and this place ain't expensive!

Charred spinach with fontina cheese on sourdough-- winner. Best sourdough bread, perfectly toasted. Why isn't all bread sourdough? Yum. Minute amount of fontina, enough to transform the dish.

I had their Amish chicken. The name is hilarious. The chicken is not. WOW. Apparently it's brined for like 3 years, then poached, then chucked in their wood fired grill. Whatevs-- it is phenomenal. Perfectly cooked, tastes like... chicken. Worth ordering chicken in a restaurant for this one.
Sides: crispy potatoes-- only time to order roast potatoes in a restaurant. Mushroom with hazelnut and some kind of madeira sauce-- best I've ever had.

Wifey had their branzino, which she said was very good, but I thought my chicken put it in the shade.

By the time I got to their wonderful chocolate semifreddo, I felt a bit sick and hated myself.

Service-- unobtrusive, charming and helpful. Faultless.
Ambience-- buzzy without being irritating. I didn't hate anyone in the room.

$120 inc tip for a really wonderful meal that is up there with the best of them around the world. Well done Philly!

4  Thank nige158

Reviewed August 29, 2014

My wife and I returned to Vernick after a 1 year. The food is still creatively delicious and the service knowledgable and attentive. Thanks for a great night!

1  Thank RyPower1889
Reviewed August 28, 2014

Deserves all the praise and high ratings, met expectations from appetiser through to dessert. Mouth-watering sourdough bread with roasted spinach was a great opener to the meal. Main courses, especially the woodoven roasted chicken, left us speechless, focusing solely on eating the food in front of us. The chicken is broiled in brine for 5 hours, then cooked in the oven for 2 hours, before being charred in the woodfired stove. Served with lemon chicken jus and roasted gem lettuce. Mouthwatering. Another winner was the sea bass with a woodoven roasted tomato sauce and brocolli. Deliciously smokey tomato sauce with perfectly cooked fish. Even the sides are worth talking about - roasted mushrooms with a soy dressing - amazingly morish, so good - sauteed greens in a white wine, garlic and lemon inc bok choy, spinach, gem lettuce, chard, and cabbage - fresh and zingy - and crispy potatoes with shishito peppers - fluffy potato encompassed by a crispy, crunchy, buttery outer case. We were very full but wanted to try dessert since the rest of the meal had been so good. The chocolate and almond semifreddo did not disappoint. Perfect contrast of smooth chocolatey ice cream with crunchy almonds and a nutty powder dust. It was the indulgent ending to a wonderful meal. We are back in Philadelphia in 2 weeks and will be returning, maybe even ordering the exact same food - it was so good!!! In addition to the food, the atmosphere was buzzy, the service was great with the waiter knowing the menu and its ingredients, and the overall experience really great.

3  Thank polkadots61
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had very high expectations based on the TripAdvisor reviews BUT they were clearly met. First off, much more relaxed and casual than we expected - happy surprise. Also fairly low sound level which is rare for Philly. The service was some of the best we ever had - friendly, helpful.
But the best part of Vernick, is the high quality preparation of the food and the rustic creativity. They love their natural ingredients especially excellent pieces of fish and whole chicken. Their specialty is their wood burning oven.
Our highlights:
The sea urchin and scrambled egg small dish is fantastic!
The whole (or half) wood ovened chicken is perfect.
The trout is as red and meaty as salmon.
The prices are actually reasonable (entree in low to mid twenties)
Food lovers must go here.

3  Thank PelleasPhiladelphia
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We had a romantic dinner with excellent cocktails. We tried a few small plates. We tried some things we never had before....which was fun. Our favorite dish was a muscle and couscous small plate. It was a little too dark for me. I like to be able to really see my food. It was a very enjoyable experience. Our waitress was very good and the gentlemen who made our cocktails at the bar was fun to watch. Interesting ingredients. Really cool!

2  Thank simmerbri