“Buckle up for another rave review of this place.”

Vernick Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 4,406 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
New Jersey
“Buckle up for another rave review of this place.”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

My wife and I were seated next to the chef's counter on the bottom floor in the back of the restaurant. We received three amuse bouche from the kitchen throughout our meal, which was a nice touch. We ordered a lot of different small plates.

Whatever you do - order the steak tartare toast - it's UNREAL!

Oysters- Amazing! I loved the vinegar sauce they came with the oysters were fresh and flavorful.

Roasted Half Chicken - Wow... now this was a chicken done right. It was so juicy, tender, and flavorful. The skin was crisp and well-seasoned. It probably was the best roast chicken I've ever had. It was also served with some shishitou. Get it!

Aortic Char with Crispy Skin and Dill - I LOVED this! The fish was fresh and flavorful and the crisp skin added interesting texture.

Roasted date cake with orange cardamom toffee sauce and coconut gelato was to die for!

The cocktails were equally great and I loved how the bartender made sure to pair each according to which course we were having next.

Chef Vernick was friendly and spoke to us several times throughout our dining experience.

Needless to say the service was great. The waiters are all witty and helpful, they really bring out their personalities at work and I think that's fantastic. Overall, a MUST TRY!!

3 Thank Skip-Sue

• Chinese (Traditional) first
New Jersey
“Creative and Delicious”
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Very pleasant experience from beginning to end. It was a beautiful Sat. evening and we had an early dinner reservation. We sat outside for a drink recommended to us by our server.
Then we moved inside to order where we enjoyed our window seats in the front of the house. (so nice on a warm evening) There are basically three seating areas; downstairs front near the bar, an intimate back area and upstairs. We were extremely pleased with the service. Our server, Amber, was sweet, helpful and made us feel well taken care of. The restaurant seems to have a friendly feel to it and I get the impression it is favored by many locals. Initially, we weren't sure the menu would be to our liking but everything we chose was delicious. Loved the way different flavors and ingredients were put together.....from the toasts (avocado and spicy radish) to the marinated beets with oranges to the fettuccine with peas and morel mushrooms. Loved the tuna poke with soy and macadamia nuts. The chocolate pie with toasted marshmallows was a great note to finish on. Overall, nice ambiance, a friendly place with good service and creative food. We will pass the word on.

1 Thank JLWPennington_NJUSA
Los Angeles, California
“Favorite Philly Restaurant”
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Everything about this popular restaurant serving rustic American food is great. No, make that a delicious delight. The staff, the experts behind the bar, the wait staff, and of course the geniuses in the kitchen led by the humble maestro Greg Vernick makes dinner a treat to anticipate. Start with a one of the fabulous toasts, sample a few small plates, and then depending on your preferences, find someone to split one of the platters - either the steak (the most satisfying I've tasted on either coast and places in between), the whole chicken or the bronzino. I envy those making their first trip to Vernick. You don't have to worry about a second trip. Your tastebuds will lead you back again and again.

Visited May 2014
“All-around EXCELLENT!”
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Started our anniversary night at the bar, with a special vodka/cucumber concoction (didn't see a vodka martini-ish drink on the menu, so the wonderful bartender asked what flavors I liked, and made THE PERFECT martini!) then strolled upstairs to our table where we were greeted by our server (wish I could remember names!) who did an awesome job. We were brought a little teaser or creamed carrot soup, and a little cheesy puff pastry. FANTASTIC! Then we had Maryland crab toast points, and crispy potatoes w/peppers (could have skipped the potato dish, it was "eh"..). Next up, main course. I had the black pepper pasta w/lamb ragout that was delish, and my hubby had black sea bass w/broccoli in a tomato sauce that was probably the best fish dish I've ever had.

What you should take away from this review is if you have the opportunity to go, you must. Your palate will thank you!

Visited May 2014
Philadelphia
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Had dinner here last Friday evening for our wedding anniversary. All of the food was really delicious. They were very accommodating with food prep due to food allergies. The poke and octopus was outstanding as was my entree of sea bass. The tomato puree and roasted broccoli underneath was really tasty. My husband loved the Maryland Crab on toast, the papardelle with lamb ragout and the rabbit. The small plates work really well and the entrees are just enough without being outrageous portions. Save room for dessert. Vernick is expensive but not out of line with other top restaurants in Philadelphia. Would definitely return for another meal here even without a special occasion.