“I have never tasted food until...”

Vernick Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 4,491 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Reviewed March 2, 2014

In town for Flower Show and my husband and I went here for dinner. The food here is fabulous! If you are in Philly go to Vernick! Had the brown butter toast for start then had the special of foie gras. Best I have ever had. Also had dinner special lobster. Thought I was a purist with lobster (just butter) until I had it prepared at Vernick. Every single dish we had was better than the last. My palate had a party last night of wonderful flavors. Staff is friendly and attentive making sure everything was ok. A must dinning experience!

Reviewed March 1, 2014

Superb food you can see being prepared in open kitchen. Shared appetizers of toasts and small plate and then we had black sea bass, New Zealand salmon and pork chop. All entres were cooked to perfection. Carmenere wine from Chile was excellent. Very impressed with service - every chipped in and served food when ready. Ryan, manager, was also most attentive and remembered when I last ate there more than 3 months ago.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

As you can read from other reviewers, there is much to rave about here. It has a casual Brooklyn-esque feel to the place and we were seated promptly for our 9 p.m. reservation. We were perfectly happy about this, but you should note that the pace of service is attentive but deliberately relaxed - this is not a hurry up and order sort of place.

We chose to make our dinners out of small plates. A truly nice and notable element of this experience was that after we each chose three small plates plus a veggie to share, the server offered to sequence our "courses" for us and we were very glad he did. So many times when you order a collection of small plates at other restaurants they get all squirrelly and random about when to bring them. He and his colleagues delivered our plates where each of us got one of our selections at a pace and order that really made culinary sense - almost like a tasting menu that we created ourselves. Another really nice element was that my hubby who can't drink could order some nicely crafted non-alcoholic cocktails. At one point the server suggested letting the bartender create something for him and he said it was very delicious.

And then there is the food itself. Bottom line: super deelish! You kind of have to try one or two of their "toast" options as a starter. Basically they top a nice cut of grilled country bread with yummy stuff and cut it into three little sections. I loved the avocado and pickled radish and hubby was happy with his crabmeat topping. Other highlights were the grilled romaine wedge stuffed with melted cheddar and slices of fresh fig, the pork belly and pear salad and the tiny Brussels sprouts with an ancho caramel glaze (you eat them with a spoon). All of the savory dishes were simply spectacular. I wasn't super thrilled with my Meyer lemon pudding with pistachio meringue - as expected it was kind of like a cold soufflé but I just didn't love the flavors. My hubby did love his small cherry brownie with chocolate gelato. Even my cup of decaf coffee was well balanced and full flavored which was truly notable towards the end of dinner service around 11 p.m.

The staff all seem really engaged with the food they're serving and are truly happy when you enjoy your experience. All in all we both felt that hands down this was the best meal we've ever had in Philadelphia over the years we've been visiting here.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I were really excited to try this restaurant and we left incredibly underwhelmed and disappointed. The restaurant looks good from outside and inside it has a really good vibe.

The service is attentive but strange. We seemed to have 4-5 different servers over the course of the meal. We couldn't really figure out the roles of each. They were each very nice but one or two lacked the professionalism one would expect at a restaurant of this caliber.

The menu and food were the most disappointing. The menu is rather limited and a bit odd. The whole fish of the day special was 62.00 which is a bit steep for any type of fish.

Each of the items that we ordered was extremely salty. The pasta dish and potato dish were so salty they were terrible.

The snapper was good but not outstanding.

Maybe it just wasn't their night, but, our experience at vernick was nothing like we expected it would be.

Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

Made first visit to Vernick for a first date! My dinner companion is vegan of which I had advised the restaurant in advance. When making the reservation, they not only informed me that they were happy to accommodate his dining needs, but also reaffirmed this upon our arrival. The service was impeccable and the atmosphere was very comfortable and conducive to conversation (we sat in a window upstairs on a very cold night and they happily made adjustments to the air system so we were warm!). I had the chicken and cannot wait to go back for it. I noticed many people around me also ordered it. They created a vegan dish for my date which he still talks about to this day! I only wish we had room to eat more!

I choose this location because of tripadvisor reviews and could not have been more happy. Thank you tripadvisor! T