“Oh Yes.”

Vernick Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Lovely atmosphere and attentive yet nicely casual service. Food to match.. Great place to eat. The place sums up what's the Philadelphia is all about, passionate about the food without a pretentious attitude! Loved it.

1  Thank Gochiso-sama
There are newer reviews for Vernick Food & Drink

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Green peas and bacon on toast! Not from a children’s book, but one of at least a half dozen “on toast” offerings at this two story, modernistic restaurant in the heart of Philly. In addition, you are accosted with an equal sampling of “raw” starters (oysters, tuna tartare, etc.), “small plates”, a larger number of “large plates,” “vegetables”, and specials. This was supposed to be a birthday dinner for our daughter-in-law, not the invasion of Normandie. Strategy and planning were needed. We found we could count on the waiter as well as the four of us to work through the innumerable offerings.

Our first move was to order outside the box…or outside the full page of “classic” or “current” cocktails and wines: Manhattan, Old Fashion, etc. Even these were seductively different in taste and appeal from the norm. Ah, it is Vernick’s Food and Drink, after all. (Later, we counted on the waiter to select a wine to accompany our entrees and though he missed with an unexciting Pinot–he had brought along a velvety French crue that matched nicely with the large 28 oz. prime bone-in strip steak. The steak was the centerpiece to our strategy.)

With innumerable options we first ordered several of each category: “on toast” included the afore-mentioned peas and bacon, Maryland crab, and tuna. The kids selected oysters–with additions of citrus and ginger that they declared were fresh and chilly and we ordered grilled shrimp, grilled octopus, and grilled corn salad to surround the magnificent steak. Each item was flavorsome and unique in combination and reward. They put a sparkler or a small candle on something for the birthday girl and, thankfully, no small army marched out to interrupt everyone with an off-key song. Sadly, our dessert choices were mundane, but we were happy and my bride’s eyes smiled at our birthday girl and new mother. Vernick’s is great to celebrate any occasion, including just being alive.

1  Thank f3lance
Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

I was there as a single diner and sat at the chef's counter, what fun to watch and talk to the crew while they prepared all the dishes. The owner and chef, Greg Vernick checked on me periodically before I recognized him as the owner. I was warmly welcomed as a single diner, recieved three samples,
all gratis, which was very cool! Great service by my server too. I was impressed by the cocktail menu, had a drink with cayenne, a plus in my book.

I thoroughly enjoyed all three of my small plates yet the absolute best item was the watermelon and duck confit salad. Just outstanding flavor and texture. Greg warned me it would only be on the menu for about two more weeks as season was changing. I may have to drive up again to have it. It was one of tastiest items I have ordered in a long time.

2  Thank shelandi
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Like other reviewers I think my expectations were perhaps a bit too high. That being said I must admit our table along the balcony was lovely AND, without a doubt, their blueberry pie was one of the best desserts I have ever eaten.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Just a disclaimer that this place is probably definitely 5 star worthy, however, I usually leave 5 stars for those out of your world blow me away Michelin 3 star type of places. So with that said...what an amazing dinner!
I specifically asked for the Chefs table and was surprised when my wish was granted on a Saturday night reservation because I know that that table isn't usually reserved. It was definitely pretty warm with heat coming off of the stove. We moved a seat further and got used to it. It was totally worth it and if you're a foodie, like to cook or even just curious, I highly recommend sitting there.
I started out with a Blue Heat (tequila, lime, cayenne). Very nicely mixed drink, although to my surprised pretty tiny.
The menu looked incredible and it was really hard to narrow down our choices. We wanted to try everything! We settled on a bunch of smaller dishes and one main entree that we decided to split. The description of the restaurant is: simple yet refined cooking. It suits it very well.
Maryland crab toast. Very good. Had a fair amount of crab on top of a mind-blowing grilled bread. I probably wouldn't order this again just because it was pretty filling yet a little too simple. Something i could probably whip up at home.
Kampachi was amazing. Very fresh, very nicely garnished.
Sea urchin, warm scrambled egg, was the sea urchin roe. This was my favorite dish. The eggs were so fluffy and the unsweetened whip cream that garnished made for such a wonderful combination with the roe that I would have licked the bowl have no one been watching!
Heirloom tomatoes with Caesar dressing were to die for! Also something I could have made at home as it was just some sliced up tomatoes. The tomatoes were out of this world! Where do you get them chef Vernick?!!! The Caesar dressing was unbelievable, I have never had anything like it. You could taste the anchovies in it. I would order this dish over and over again...got lucky it was tomato season.
Grilled octopus, best I have ever had! Cooked to absolute perfection! And I know all too well that is not easy to do. I feel like my husband and I were fighting for the last piece on the plate. The garnishes were yummy.
Steamed halibut was my hubby's choice. I probably wouldn't pick as I never find halibut particularly yummy. It was good. A little too bland for my taste, which was expected. The basil broth was served on the side and poured into our plate by chef Vernick himself! He mentioned that he would be more than happy to provide some grilled bread to dip the broth and we couldn't resist. It was yummy.
Needless to say we were way too full for dessert.
We loved loved loved watching the bustle of the kitchen. Organized, friendly. Chef Vernick presented us with 3 out of 6 dishes and chatted about each one. I was lucky enough to get some of his free time to chat about the restaurant and kitchen as well. Very friendly and obviously extremely talented young chef.
I am glad places like these are opening up in Philly. The upstairs has a very Euro Bistro style. Food is phenomenal!

1  Thank IrinaB960