“Amazing Place!!!”

Vernick Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 4,537 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Very Interesting Place. This is a must go when in Philly or even when out of Philly. Bring yourself, your friends or your enemies. This is the old bookstore space on Walnut St. across from Wanamaker house condo. Bilevel space with a nice from bar area and open windows and outdoor seating. The lower back dining room has a food bar in the kitchen...literally you are close to the ovens and action and you will feel it on poorly constructed uncomfortable wood barstools...that costs a star. The upstairs dining area is is pleasant and warm inviting with opened balconied windows but when it fills up you can barely hear a thing it is over 90 db. The server we had Amber was lovely and extremely patient and knowledgeable about the menu. The FOH was disorganized but worked things out but has some kinks in the armor. The food is very good. This guy can cook and he opened many of the Jean George restaurants around the globe. The menu is separated into "On Toast", " Raw", " Small plates", "large plates", " simply roasted in our wood fire oven" , and "vegetables". We were excited to see two amuse bouche were sent to us; a very tasty cucumber & melon soup as well as a really nice skuna bay salmon tartare. The on toast was the best piece of toast I have had in a while with beef tartare and horseradish and an amazing Maryland crab with a tad too much aioli, the morels looked great as well. The Raw were 6 of the best wellfleet oysters I have had in a while. (Nod to Union Trust Still) The other dishes we tried were the Halibut with lemon, mushroom and asparagus and the 28 once steak dry aged from Pat Lafrieda roasted in oven had amazing flavor depth with charred lettuce and lemon. I passed on the Roasted $ 45 Amish chicken but I am curious what makes a chicken worth that amount of money? we also tied the crispy potatoes with shishito peppers ..yummy and the greens sautéed they were mustard greens and spinach and another green i forgot to ask about but great flavor profiles. I should also mention our wait at the bar was very cool. I can not recall our bartenders name , latifa ?but she was awesome. Professional not too chatty and exceptional drinks were served. the wines by the glass are lean by design as they have very few sparkling or oaky chards by the glass and not many italian wines which is interesting given Mr. Vernick's globetrotting. But I love that the bartender
asked me if I preferred my Martini shaken or stirred? I am no James bond but shaken always. A little caviar next time on the menu and it would be prefect. We skipped dessert but they had a few that were tempting. We will definitely be regulars as everyone made us feel special and at home. If not for the FOH problems and horribly hot downstairs seating and extreme noise upstairs I would give 5 Stars.

1  Thank Kenneth L

Reviewed January 6, 2013

A wonderful epicurean experience. We were at Vernick twice in a week. It was very impressive. The grilled breads are very creative and tasty. We sat at the Chef's table; alot of fun. Service is very polished. Highly recommended.

3  Thank leeagolf6
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We celebrated my husband's birthday at Vernick on Sunday evening and were pleasantly surprised! The hostess offered us a table in the open kitchen room and we were entertained by the hustle and bustle of the chef/owner and several other cooks. The wait staff is second-to-none too! So informative, efficient and not intrusive.

Our first course was the crab toast ($14). We split this item and absolutely loved it! For the second course, I had the brussel sprout and carrot salad. It was beautifully presented and delicious! My hubby ordered the mussels and enjoyed them; though he thought the presentation was weak. The mussels are not served in their shells and look rather blah against the white plate. We shared the 1 1/2 pound Sea Bream prepared in the wood oven ($38 I think). OMG ~ it was absolutely incredible and beautifully presented!!! For dessert, I ordered the hot chocolate with Devon cream, chipolte pepper and Green Chartreuse ($6.50). I think this was my favorite "food" of the evening! My hubby had the 3 ice cream/sorbets with biscotti and he enjoyed them as well. Vernick has an excellent selection of craft beers as well as imported. Their wine list is also superb with many French wines on the list.

We can't wait to dine there again! BTW ~ there was free street parking on Sunday evening.

2  Thank bouncingbunny
Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Celebrated the night after our wedding at Vernick. Amazing service and food; they made us feel very special. We sat at the chef's counter; great experience. Can't wait to get back. Thank you guys so much for making a wonderful occasion even more so!

2  Thank Libations_Lounge
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Terrific food in a renovated brownstone on Walnut Street. The food is organic, locally grown inventive recipes. The flatbread starters are excellent. The plates are meant for sharing. The bar is a scene. There are three levels of seating. Upstairs is a little quieter if you want to have a conversation with your companion.

2  Thank LindaII