“It Doesn't Get Much Better!”

Vernick Food & Drink
Reserve with OpenTable
Vernick Food & Drink is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 20th
Transit: Broad Street Line: Walnut-Locust station Market-Frankford Line: 15th Street station
Description: Located at 2031 Walnut Street in the Rittenhouse Square area of Philadelphia, Vernick Food & Drink is an inviting neighborhood bistro. Chef Gregory Vernick focuses on using extraordinary regional products to create a menu of approachable, globally-inspired dishes. The "Drink" side of Vernick Food & Drink features craft cocktails, as well as careful selection of domestic and imported wines and beers. Since opening, Vernick Food & Drink has earned accolades from Food & Wine, Bon Appetit, James Beard Foundation, StarChefs and more.
Reviewed October 16, 2012

On a recent Friday night we [2 couples/pre-theatre] tried Vernick for the first time. We should have gone sooner! This, in our estimation, should rank very close to the top in Philadelphia restaurants. We were warmly greeted by a very attractive young woman [later discovered to be the Chef/Owner's wife] who escorted us to a wonderful table on the first floor...back by the open kitchen. Our server Jay [ you can call me Ray] was extremely attentive and knowledgeable. Our cocktails came out quickly and were ample in size, quality, and not over priced. The menu offers both small& large plate selections. It is very easy to navigate between the two. Jay did not try to overload us with too many small plates. His suggestions were spot-on. We shared four small plates and each of us ordered a large plate, as well. The short ribs were to die for! Melt in your mouth tasty & tender. Two of us had steamed halibut in a clam broth with mushrooms. FABULOUS! We ordered wine by the glass & found the selection to be well thought out and fairly priced. We enjoyed our table & it's proximity to the kitchen. There was also a large rack of split hardwood stacked in the middle of the room for use in their wood burning oven. A very nice touch! Next time[and there will definitely be a next time] we will try to sit at the counter facing the controlled chaos in the kitchen. All in all...this is a very fine restaurant from start to finish. Philadelphia is fortunate to be the place this couple decided to hang their hats! We can't wait for our next trip to Vernick.

2  Thank khucke

Reviewed August 28, 2012

This place is fantastic. The bartender is a true artists...the drink menu is original and quite tasty. I'm going to sound like quite the lush, but I've tasted about a third of the cocktails listed on the menu and can't wait to book my future visits so I can try them all. The food is not too shabby either:). Actually, the food is scrumptious and the dishes are innovative. The service is probably the best I've experienced in quite a while. The servers seem to appear at the right time and don't hover. Best dish - grilled romaine with figs and cheese and the wood roasted chicken. I usually don't order chicken when I eat out, but this time I was very glad I did. This place is here to stay and I'm glad!

1  Thank CMG1984
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Just dined at Vernick last night and we loved every morsel of food. Nice and easy ambiance, friendly staff, amazing food. We started with the ricotta and cherry tartine. Were served 2 amuse bouches that were to die for, followed by a whole roasted dorade we shared, and sauteed greens as a side dish. Dessert was a strawberry mousse with brioche croutons that was so delicious I took notes to try and re-create it. Fabulous! Writing about our dinner makes it sound so simple, when it was one of the best meals I have had in a long time. Everything was perfection. Wish we lived in Philly so we could go back again and again.

PS -- AND it was highly affordable!

1  Thank TeresaEBethesda
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I love to eat-- and this restaurant did not disappoint. Great wine list (all price points, and good wines by the glass) and interesting, fresh food. Most dishes appear to be seasonal- but if you get a chance, try the grilled romaine with figs, greens of the day (ours was kale, cabbage, and other greens), toast with corn and jalapeño, seafood roast (get extra bread-- which by itself was fabulous, but in the broth, was to die for) and the blueberry pie. Staff was great and attentive. It is not inexpensive--but such quality and creativity rarely is. This restaurant is James Beard worthy and is probably the best new restaurant Philly has had in years.

1  Thank cheapmomof2
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Vernick is the real deal. Located on Walnut, you enter into an cozy bar area, that was bustling the night we dined. After sitting at the bar for a few minutes and ordering expertly prepared cocktails, we were escorted to our table, directly across from the open kitchen. The spot was busy, but we never felt as if we were getting swept up in the action of the kitchen and it was nice to see the smooth efficiency with which chef Greg Vernick and his team work. Our meal started with a refreshing amuse bouche of a spicy raspberry soup. There are a number of bites "on toast" available, and they looked interesting. (The bread, not usually served but which we requested because we were so hungry, was excellent.) We tried the beet salad, which was certainly the best example of the dish I've had in years, and the grilled romaine that put the typical Cesare to shame. A small bite of an heirloom tomato with basil was a refreshing taste of summer between courses. The beef cheek and pork mains were both delicious, the former served in a bowl with crisp beans and celery and far lighter than I had anticipated. We were full but shared the small, gem-like carrot cake for desert which was a marvel; airy and moist, it was given added depth by the addition of dried (almost burnt) carrot cake crumbs on top. Vernick offers great value for the money -- high quality food and drink and very reasonable prices. Our server seemed big young, but she was enthusiastic and well-versed in the menu. We just wish Vernick Food and Drink were in Boston so we could count ourselves as regulars!

1  Thank Filmprof