“A step back in time...”

Shane Confectionery
Ranked #4 of 151 Shopping in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Shane Confectionery is the oldest continuously-run confectionery in the United States, established in 1863. The Shane family took over the business in 1911, installing elaborately carved woodwork, stained glass and curved windows to showcase the chocolates and confections made onsite. Ninety-nine years later, in 2010, the business transitioned to the Berley Brothers who own the nearby Franklin Fountain and whom embarked on a meticulous restoration of the building and business. Candies continue to be made on-site, with an emphasis on locally-sourced ingredients, seasonal specialties and old-fashioned quality. Beginning in 2014 a Chocolate Café was opened in the back of Shane Confectionery, illustrating the history of cacao in the form of luxurious drinking chocolates and brewed infusions.
Reviewed May 27, 2013

...had to come here on our vacation to Philly after seeing it featured in Martha Stewart. Everything is so well presented and the hard candy we bought is really good. I have a little green bird clear toy candy I bought as a souvenir too.

Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Had a Wherly Berly and a candy stick. Lemon drops for later. Interesting candy. A bit pricey compared to mass brands, but interesting, pretty, and unique. Well worth a stop, though it feels a bit out of the way.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

I saw the barley sugar rabbits in Martha Stewart Living and decided to give them a call thinking they would make great Easter gifts for my grandchildren. They conjured up memories of my childhood when we got barley sugar figures for Christmas. My husband has been to the store and he says it is charming. We lived in the area most of our lives but I've never had occasion to go. Judging from the descriptions on this website and pictures that are posted I must say it looks like you stepped back into the 1900's and the next time I'm in the area I will definitely stop by. The rabbits were delivered today and they are just lovely. They look almost like glass and I'm sure my grandchildren (20 years., 14 years, and 3 years) are going to love them. I also ordered a box of assorted caramels and I must say we already broke into the box and they are some of the best I've ever had. Just looking at them you can tell they are hand-made and hand dipped. Each box is wrapped with care and gives a lovely presentation. If I had to say one negative thing about this company it is the fact that they don't seem to like phone orders. I'm sure there are many people like me who don't like to and won't order over the internet. I still like the personal touch. Hopefully, they will make adjustments to make phone ordering customers feel as welcome as they apparently do the people who visit them onsite.

2  Thank flowerchild48
Reviewed November 25, 2012

Locally sourced ingredients, fantastic decor and friendly staff (dressed in early 1900 style). I particularly admired the clear, barley sugar, candy shapes; cats, cars, reindeer and even a sailing ship. Also scrumptious hand-dipped chocolates (I was drawn to the huge chocolate covered marshmallows) and the largest jaw breakers I have ever seen (purchased with great enthusiasm by a very determined young boy). Gum drops, gummy bears, chocolate coins and pretzels dipped in your choice of white, milk or dark chocolate. For the more culinary curious there was chocolate covered bacon strips. Lollipops shaped like Liberty Bells for the Philadelophiles. Not inexpensive but the price reflects the quality. Highly recommended for sweet stocking stuffers.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I highly recommend visiting Shane's. Great candy & wonderful history. The decor has been restored to its early 1900 beauty & the staff even dresses the part. I absolutely loved the look & feel of this confectionary & felt like I had stepped back in time. The staff was very friendly & allowed me to try pieces before purchase. Shane's has every type of candy you can imagine & the chocolate is fantastic.

2  Thank Debra C