“Loved this hotel”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Wyoming
“Loved this hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

My family only stayed a night but wished we could have stayed longer. Arriving is tricky; you have to find room to pull over at the curb which can be full of cars in busy Philly, but the valet directed us down the street and he met us with a luggage cart and unloaded our bags and took our car. Large lobby with plenty of space and seating, decorated in the usual Kimpton style.

We arrived early but our rooms were ready. Our king room looked exactly like the one on tripadvisor photo and while it was small it made great use of the room and bathroom. Extremely comfy bed & linens & very quiet. We were on the 3rd floor facing Independence Hall and by the elevator but had no noise issues. Our kids' room a floor up was a lot larger. Love the Raid the Bar perk so make sure you join the Kimpton loyalty program and ask for your voucher, because they don't always give them to you at check-in in my experience. The only negatives were the lighting in the bathroom was really low and again no washcloths - maybe this is a HM policy? Yes, I can call and ask for them but when I'm getting ready for bed and just want to wash my face it's a pain.

The location really can't be beat for exploring Philadelphia. Hotel restaurant was great; good selection of delicious comfort food. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. I loved this hotel!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
jbmWyoming -

Thank you for staying with us on your trip to Philadelphia. Happy almost everything went well, although I can clarify that no washcloths is definitely NOT our policy. I apologize for the inconvenience, as we certainly expect that you shouldn't have to ask for anything, the least of which being basic linen options. Hope to see you again soon.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Turkish first
Montoursville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2014

We have two Newfoundlands and like to travel with them. But, that can be a problem when you show up with 300 pounds of dog. Not with the Monaco. We love staying at the Monacos because they take BIG dogs!

When we arrived we had a crate and luggage to handle and the staff were great. They were helpful and didn't rush us--I hate to pull up to a hotel only to be rushed. (After you have driven several hours you need a minute to get your bearings and give instructions about luggage and dogs, etc. "T" and Darnell did a great job and let us take a minute or two, which I appreciated.) Check in was a breeze and with a park across the street and several more within a block or so, this is a PERFECT dog friendly location.

Our room was cool (something most hotels are not when you arrive) and clean and well appointed. Room service was quick, even when just getting a plain hot dog for the dog. Our dog was a bit under the weather, part of the reason we were in Philly was to see a vet, and so we ate all our meals at the hotel. We enjoyed the restaurant and room service. The food was tasty, prepared properly and hot.

We are probably coming back to Philly in August for more dog related stuff and will look forward to staying at the Monaco again.

Gordon S -

With dogs that big, Darnell probably could have ridden them around the hotel seeing as how he is our most diminutive bellman. Small in stature but big on service. Glad we could take care of your guys and you. I love that you ordered one of our 1/4 lb all beef dogs for him. Hope to see you all again soon, and hopefully in better health!

Happy travels -

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

Since my husband and I were on the West Coast and all of our family and friends were on the East Coast, we wanted to plan a gender reveal party on the East Coast. My husband wanted the event to be held in Philadelphia, and with the help of my father he narrowed down some of our choices. After looking at a video of the ballroom space, LaFayette, I knew I had to have the event at Hotel Monaco. With the help of Sasha, Catering Sales Manager, the planning of the event was seamless despite being thousands of miles away. Even though we corresponded via phone or email, I always felt comfortable with the upcoming plans. I received help with the menu, the design of the ballroom, and the overall timing of the day.

The day of the party was perfect, 4/13/14. When I arrived, changes were being made to the room since there was an earlier event that morning. The staff accommodated my last minute changes, and everything was set up so beautifully. The service throughout the event was wonderful. Our guests told us that they wished the event lasted longer. They loved the cocktail and buffet food set-up; their favorite parts of the day were the melt-in-your-mouth steak, soft pretzels, water ice, and the cutting of our gender reveal cake. My only regret...not considering this hotel to have my reception when we were getting married! The event was just perfect and we have the pictures to prove it. The friendly and accommodating staff was just the icing on the cake!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nash654 -

Congratulations on your impending bundle of joy! Sounds like a pregnant mother may have planned the menu, and it all sounds awesome. Thrilled we were able to help you celebrate this special moment and help relieve you of some of the stress planning a bicoastal party might lead to. Can't wait to host the party for child number two (or maybe something else for child number one)!.

Safe travels -

Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here for a one night getaway and could not have been happier. The hotel is beautiful, offering water in the lobby (which was much appreciated after a day of walking!), and well appointed rooms. The location could not be better, just across from Independence Hall; getting around is very easy.

I highly recommend the Hotel Monaco, and also appreciate the little touches (they left us champagne and chocolate for our anniversary).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
krram -

A belated congrats on your anniversary! Thank you for celebrating with us. We're also great for celebrating birthdays (if you want to let your husband know).

Cheers!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Monaco recently for our anniversary. The staff were delightful, the decor entertaining and the amenities were lovely. We were surprised to find a complementary plate of chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of Champagne in our room after an afternoon walk.

We stayed in one of the spa rooms, which was very nice. I would recommend some grab bars be installed in the shower room, I'm a bit of klutz and almost slipped several times. Also, the shower head was a bit gunky. That said, this was a terrific getaway weekend and we will most certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
ATD4499 -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco on your special occasion. Happy a little champagne and strawberries could make the day a little brighter. We do feature rooms with grab bars in the showers and around the tubs. Let us know next time you might be staying with us and we'll block you in one of those rooms (and maybe get you a nerf robe to walk around in everywhere).

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

This was our first trip to Philadelphia and our first stay at a Kimpton property. We wanted to be near Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, both of which are literally right next to the hotel.

We arrived early (around 1:30pm) and the friendly front desk staff quickly checked us in and gave us our rooms. The hotel has an interesting style and décor mixing different motifs, which looks beautiful and unique. This is not your cookie cutter chain hotel at all. Everything looks clean and new. My son and I had booked a room with two double beds and our room was fabulous. I wish my bedroom at home was decorated as nicely as our hotel room! We were next door to the ice machine and not far from the elevator, but I never heard any noise. My father booked a King room with a view of Independence Hall right outside his window. Everything was lovely. The staff was always friendly and eager to provide outstanding customer service. The staff also provided us with a few complimentary personal items that we needed during our stay. Most chain hotels have those little stores selling those items in the lobby (band aids, toothpaste, and the like). At this hotel, they happily provide them for you, which is a very nice touch.

We dined in the Red Owl Tavern (the restaurant inside the hotel) several times and the food was great. The hummus platter with red peppers was absolutely outstanding!!! We had plans to dine out, but after a busy day of sightseeing, we got tired and decided to stay at the hotel to eat. The food and service were always great. Walking the parks and grounds near Independence Hall is nice and quiet in the evenings as well. We walked a few blocks to Franklin's Fountain for a delicious ice cream treat around 10 pm and felt safe. This property is very close to so many historical attractions, it really made it convenient to visit all of them. I would love to try another Kimpton Property again in the future. I recommend this property to anyone visiting Philadelphia.

3 Thank WeLove2Travel23
WeLove2Travel23 -

Welcome to Philadelphia! Thank you for choosing us for your first sojourn into the City of Brotherly Love. From our Forgot It, We Got It program to Red Owl - sounds like you hit the hotel from A to Z. And even had time to explore around the hotel - which you could spend days doing so much to see and eat out there!

Suburban Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2014

Just adding our two cents to the raves...great service, cool decor, the best location. We chose a room with a park view and I would say it was worth the extra price. Hotel is "wedding central" every weekend, apparently, and I was concerned about rowdy guests. However, it was very quiet!
Special shout out to Zach the waiter at Red Owl - great job.

marieSuburbanC...

Thanks for choosing the Monaco - not to mention choosing the view. It's surreal to overlook the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall when you start to think about what actually took place on these grounds. We are popular with wedding groups, but we make sure everyone feels the love, not just those wearing white!

Double shout out to Zach!!

Best -