“Love this hotel!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
“Love this hotel!”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

This hotel is right across from the Liberty Bell and historic buildings in downtown Philadelphia. Everything is nearby.
They did an incredible job of restoring the building, the hotel is beautiful.
From the elevators to the lobby the decor and features are gorgeous.
Hotel staff are pleasant and informed. Bikes are free to use and they serve wine in the lobby from 5-6. How can you go wrong?
I was upgrated to a larger room with a view of the plaza.
Great bar!
Would love to stay again

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Stephanie F -

"How can you go wrong?" That is probably rhetorical...but I'll answer anyhow: You can't! Thanks for choosing the Monaco. Hope to see you again soon.

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have stayed in a Kimpton hotel previously. Our experience was enjoyed this go around as they have been in the past. We love their rooms, beds and friendly staff.
Came to Philly for the night. Did not realize it was Flag Day; even more fun, but streets were closed and extremely busy. We arrived early (1pm). Our room was ready and perfect.
Enjoyed the happy hour. Great night on the town. You get what you pay for; these rooms are wonderful. Worth the stay & trip. Views of Signers Square & Independence Hall.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dave M -

This town loves a good patriotic party. Not sure who else celebrates Flag Day out there, but it's definitely a Thing here. Probably helped by Betsy Ross having a house just around the corner from the hotel. Glad you were able to navigate the streets and make it here for a great weekend. Hope to see you again soon.

East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I could not have been happier with this hotel during our annual trip to Philadelphia. From check-in to check-out the staff made our stay comfortable and relaxing. Even though there were wedding events going on things went smoothly (although one of the wedding parties essentially overwhelmed the Red Owl Tavern Saturday night). We can not thank everyone enough for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Might wish to stay away from top floors due to the Stratus roof top lounge.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
William T -

There is nothing more important to anyone's stay than their comfort. I am thrilled that we were able to deliver that to you in spite of the tumult that occasionally accompanies wedding revelers. Hope to see you again soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Upon my first contact with staff I was impressed. I was greeted in a friendly and professional way. The decor is absolutely what I love about this hotel. It is what the pictures show. This is my second Kimpton hotel and I will always try and stay there in the future.

The room was a great size and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. Everything was clean and well taken care of. The TV was kind of annoying but manageable, it was the system that sometimes wasn't as smooth as I am used to.

My only issue, which I know they will resolve as soon as I actually call, is that my "raid the mini-bar" coupon wasn't posted to my account and I was charged for it.

The location is amazing, a block from the Liberty bell.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is about as close as you can get to perfection.

Relaxed121 -

Thanks for returning to show Kimpton some love. You have a great option for a staycation in Baltimore, but of course, we are happy to have you here. Sorry the TV and the raid the minibar were kind of clunky. We can definitely do better and getting closer to perfection sounds like a dare to us.

Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Monaco is next to Independence Hall and historic Philadelphia. Sometimes convenience isn't just everything, it's the only thing. The hotel is nice, and everything is in first rate condition. The room was plenty big enough for one, a little small for two. Bathroom was great! Staff and service were excellent, clearly everyone wanted to please. That all being said, this was the most garish hotel I've ever stayed in. Fire engine red armoire for the TV. Chrome yellow doors and woodwork. A different pattern wallpaper on each wall. And that was just in my room. The lobby was a riot of pattern, texture and color...kind of Art Deco meets 19th Century Bordello. Oy! I spent all of my time in the Lobby redecorating in my mind. Red Owl Restaurant had excellent food and service. I had the best hamburger I've ever had there.

1 Thank Daiseymae66
Daiseymae66 -

There is certainly an eclectic sense of style here. Part of the Monaco's "story" is that it is supposed to feature items gathered from our travels around the world. And as you noted, that may be the case. Certainly it causes imaginations to run wild. Which we don't mind one bit. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon!

Happy travels -

Douglasville, Georgia
Reviewed June 16, 2014

A speaking engagement took me and a biz partner to Philly and we had to stay near Valley Forge in a "resort" for our first night. It was mediocre at best, so imagine our glee when we chose the Hotel Monaco based on reviews and nabbed a last-minute room for two nights at a great rate.

The location is simply unsurpassed and the historic building is gorgeous. Beyond the actual building, however, the decor was spot-on, offering a very interesting mix of vintage and modern.

Cons: No ice on our floor and no coffee in room (That's all I could come up with on the cons.)

Pros: Great robes! Amazing front door staff! Andrew the concierge! Nice fitness facility! Yoga mat in room! Green policies! Super food on site! Location, location, location! Pet friendly! Wine hour!

Plus, we took advantage of the rooftop bar and perhaps if we had been the floor below it might have been a problem, but we weren't and loved being able to sit in the cool air, listen to the music and sip a toddy.

If you are a member of their online loyalty program, you also receive complimentary wi-fi and $10 towards the minibar for a snack or two. Oh, did I mention there was some lovely bottled water in the room, as well?

I've stayed a lot of places and must say that this hotel's attentiveness to detail and their unbelievable staff (especially the guys at the door!) made this a highlight.

Well done.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quieter, but there is no view, so determine your priorities.
Green Features: LOVED the recycle bins in the rooms and throughout the hotel~ This made a difference to me and we would choose them again.
2 Thank LeeBMojo
LeeBMojo -

We'll take a few cons to go with all of the great stuff that stuck with you after your stay. And the good news is that they are easy fixes. Coffeemakers are available by request (and coffee is available in the lobby every morning). And ice while not on every floor (3 out of 9 floors), we will be happy to deliver to anyone if you just give us a shout. That's what we're here for, and chances are it will be one of our super duper door guys bringing it up!

Cheers -

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Thanks, thanks, thanks. This was a stunning hotel very close to Independence Hall. The room was extremely nice, even the window had a stunning view of Independence Hall especially at night. The staff was very warm and welcoming. The doorman (Sean) was very exceptional. Led us to all the right spots. I recommend all to experience Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sean1011985 -

If I didn't know otherwise, I would think you might be biased towards Seans...but he really is amazing. Better than our views if you ask me. Thank you for choosing to make a brief stop here. Hopefully the next stay will be a little longer.

Take care -