“Staff, Rooms, Location Great”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 17, 2014

My wife and I could not have been happier with this hotel during our annual trip to Philadelphia. From check-in to check-out the staff made our stay comfortable and relaxing. Even though there were wedding events going on things went smoothly (although one of the wedding parties essentially overwhelmed the Red Owl Tavern Saturday night). We can not thank everyone enough for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Might wish to stay away from top floors due to the Stratus roof top lounge.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

William T -

There is nothing more important to anyone's stay than their comfort. I am thrilled that we were able to deliver that to you in spite of the tumult that occasionally accompanies wedding revelers. Hope to see you again soon.

Best -

Mark

Write a ReviewReviews (2,730)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Upon my first contact with staff I was impressed. I was greeted in a friendly and professional way. The decor is absolutely what I love about this hotel. It is what the pictures show. This is my second Kimpton hotel and I will always try and stay there in the future.

The room was a great size and nicely decorated. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was huge. Everything was clean and well taken care of. The TV was kind of annoying but manageable, it was the system that sometimes wasn't as smooth as I am used to.

My only issue, which I know they will resolve as soon as I actually call, is that my "raid the mini-bar" coupon wasn't posted to my account and I was charged for it.

The location is amazing, a block from the Liberty bell.

I highly recommend this hotel. It is about as close as you can get to perfection.

Relaxed121 -

Thanks for returning to show Kimpton some love. You have a great option for a staycation in Baltimore, but of course, we are happy to have you here. Sorry the TV and the raid the minibar were kind of clunky. We can definitely do better and getting closer to perfection sounds like a dare to us.

Best -

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Monaco is next to Independence Hall and historic Philadelphia. Sometimes convenience isn't just everything, it's the only thing. The hotel is nice, and everything is in first rate condition. The room was plenty big enough for one, a little small for two. Bathroom was great! Staff and service were excellent, clearly everyone wanted to please. That all being said, this was the most garish hotel I've ever stayed in. Fire engine red armoire for the TV. Chrome yellow doors and woodwork. A different pattern wallpaper on each wall. And that was just in my room. The lobby was a riot of pattern, texture and color...kind of Art Deco meets 19th Century Bordello. Oy! I spent all of my time in the Lobby redecorating in my mind. Red Owl Restaurant had excellent food and service. I had the best hamburger I've ever had there.

1  Thank Daiseymae66

Daiseymae66 -

There is certainly an eclectic sense of style here. Part of the Monaco's "story" is that it is supposed to feature items gathered from our travels around the world. And as you noted, that may be the case. Certainly it causes imaginations to run wild. Which we don't mind one bit. Thank you for choosing us and we hope to see you again soon!

Happy travels -

Reviewed June 16, 2014

A speaking engagement took me and a biz partner to Philly and we had to stay near Valley Forge in a "resort" for our first night. It was mediocre at best, so imagine our glee when we chose the Hotel Monaco based on reviews and nabbed a last-minute room for two nights at a great rate.

The location is simply unsurpassed and the historic building is gorgeous. Beyond the actual building, however, the decor was spot-on, offering a very interesting mix of vintage and modern.

Cons: No ice on our floor and no coffee in room (That's all I could come up with on the cons.)

Pros: Great robes! Amazing front door staff! Andrew the concierge! Nice fitness facility! Yoga mat in room! Green policies! Super food on site! Location, location, location! Pet friendly! Wine hour!

Plus, we took advantage of the rooftop bar and perhaps if we had been the floor below it might have been a problem, but we weren't and loved being able to sit in the cool air, listen to the music and sip a toddy.

If you are a member of their online loyalty program, you also receive complimentary wi-fi and $10 towards the minibar for a snack or two. Oh, did I mention there was some lovely bottled water in the room, as well?

I've stayed a lot of places and must say that this hotel's attentiveness to detail and their unbelievable staff (especially the guys at the door!) made this a highlight.

Well done.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are quieter, but there is no view, so determine your priorities.
2  Thank LeeBMojo

LeeBMojo -

We'll take a few cons to go with all of the great stuff that stuck with you after your stay. And the good news is that they are easy fixes. Coffeemakers are available by request (and coffee is available in the lobby every morning). And ice while not on every floor (3 out of 9 floors), we will be happy to deliver to anyone if you just give us a shout. That's what we're here for, and chances are it will be one of our super duper door guys bringing it up!

Cheers -

Reviewed June 16, 2014

Thanks, thanks, thanks. This was a stunning hotel very close to Independence Hall. The room was extremely nice, even the window had a stunning view of Independence Hall especially at night. The staff was very warm and welcoming. The doorman (Sean) was very exceptional. Led us to all the right spots. I recommend all to experience Hotel Monaco in Philadelphia.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family

Sean1011985 -

If I didn't know otherwise, I would think you might be biased towards Seans...but he really is amazing. Better than our views if you ask me. Thank you for choosing to make a brief stop here. Hopefully the next stay will be a little longer.

Take care -

Reviewed June 16, 2014

The staff here really go far above and beyond even the tradicitionally high Kimpton standards. You can tell everyone likes their job. Jim was wonderful and really made sure our stay was extra special. I'm Inner Circle with Kimpton but they still completely amazed us.

Upgraded to the Majestic Suite. It's gorgeous.
Jim, the manager on duty, made sure to always welcome us and even our dog.
Decorated the room as I love the beach but couldn't be there this weekend. Champagne (yes really champagne (Veuve), snacks and beautifully created dog treats for our lab. I felt like a rock star on my birthday. That is what makes a Kimpton, a Kimpton-the wonderful customer service. The place is gorgeous and funky/cool, stay here if you're visiting Philly as you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Ask for a parkview if you can. It's really cool to see the liberty bell and Independence Hall fr...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Airb330

Airb330 -

Thank you for celebrating your birthday with us! Too bad you don't have 364 more of those this year. But glad we were able to go a little above and beyond to help show you as much Kimpton love as you have shown us as an Inner Circle member.

Many happy returns -

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We travel all the time and always struggle with hotels and our dog. We happened upon this hotel on accident and will seek them out everywhere we travel from this point forward. The staff is genuine, polite and over the top in accommodating the individual and whatever your stay may need. Amazing times infinity!! Thank you Monaco in Philly!

• Stayed: June 2014

JennCandelaria -

Thank you times infinity plus 1. Can't wait to have you AND your four-legged friend back again.

Happy travels -