“Excellent Hotel, Location and Staff”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Florida
“Excellent Hotel, Location and Staff”
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Spent one night recently at the Hotel Monaco and loved everything about it. The hotel is in a great location directly across from Constitution Hall and walking distance from great restaurants, bars and the Philly attractions. We had a corner room with magnificent views of the Hall and the City. We loved the wine happy hour - more hotels need to do this! The rooms are spacious and modern. The bed was extremely comfortable.

Staff at the hotel was extremely nice and courteous and you can definitely tell that customer service is a priority. We had an issue with the bill that was resolved immediately at checkout. When I was sent the survey after we left I mentioned the issue and that it had been resolved to my satisfaction. A day later I received an email from the employee that had checked me out apologizing for the error and letting me know that my card had been credited! Totally amazed by that level of customer service.

The only issue that I had with the hotel was the rooftop bar. The space is amazing and staff was also very nice. However, all views from the rooftop bar are obstructed. This is the first time I go to a roof top bar that has no view of the surroundings and the skyline.

Even with this, I would highly recommend this hotel in Philly!

Room Tip: Select a corner room!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
chachi07 -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco on your trip to Philadelphia. Happy you were able to find your way up to Stratus. Unfortunately the historic nature of the building limited any modifications we could make to the facade. But even with obstructed views, on a warm evening, there might not be a better place in the city to enjoy a cocktail or two.

Cheers -

Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 10, 2014

So to be fair,I stayed at this hotel because of I GREAT deal. I generally like the look and modern feel of Kimpton brand hotels and this hotel was no different I stayed in a standard room on the top floor, had a nice view of the National Constitution Center.
Friendly staff at the front desk, inattentive front door men, comfortable bed, clean well kept room, in room temperature control was a bit wonky. No coffee machine in hotel room! Big con for me but this is unfortunately becoming the norm in many hotel rooms I notice.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the back corridor away from the elevators (facing Market street).
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank BostnChicago
BostnChicago -

Kudos to you for finding such a great deal floating out there. We have some deals of our own out there too, so make sure you check back with us. No coffee machine in the room is typical of most Kimptons, including us, but we all have them available by request. AND if you can look other people in the eye in the morning BEFORE your coffee, we have it available in our lobby until 9am.

Safe travels -

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Week end in city for my husbands birthday. Every person and detail was exceptional. From time of check my husbands birthday was acknowledged including sending a bottle of wine and a dessert to our room!!! Not your typical hotel room. Decor was better than being at home. Location was excellent. We parked and enjoyed walking to visit museums, dinner and a show Can't wait to spend another week end.

• Stayed April 2014
Scmyers -

Happy belated birthday to your husband! We can't wait for you to come back. If he needs a hint about where to take you, let us know.

South NJ
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great place to stay if you want to explore historic Philadelphia. It's literally across the street from the liberty bell and just a few blocks to old city for restaurants and shopping. If you've never stayed at a Kimpton Hotel Monaco, please do. The decor is beautiful and so unique. The staff was so nice and helpful. We booked with the "parking pass" which was only $20 more than the room rate and is for valet parking. If it's offered when you book, I definitely recommend because normally you would pay $40+ to park overnight in the city somewhere else. Also, if you are looking for a dog-friendly hotel, this place is unmatched. They are so welcoming and gave our dog a treat and a very comfortable dog bed. The dogs are also allowed in the lobby with you during morning coffee or the free wine hour. love,love this place.

Room Tip: the front desk gave us a good tip to know (for at least a saturday night stay): if you stay on the 1...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly W
Kelly W -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco! The parking package is definitely an awesome way to go. Bringing your car makes it easier to bring your dog which makes it easier to spoil somebody.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 8, 2014

I don't normally write reviews but this hotel, due to it's outrageously positive reviews needs some balance. Firstly, the good stuff: The hotel is ideally located right in the middle of the tourist district in Philadelphia. The turn of the century building is beautiful. The decoration of the rooms is exceptionally well done, if a little garish for the more conservative traveler. The front desk staff are pleasant and helpful. Mini bar was reasonably priced except for a bottle of water at $8, a little steep I think.
Now the disappointing part: No coffee maker in the rooms, pillows are so soft they offered no support whatsoever, and a request for a change of pillows was met with incredulity and the same pillows put back in the room leading to a stiff neck. The Red Owl restaurant service was appalling (and I tried it on three occasions during my stay so it wasn't a once-off), the chef was not sighted on any occasion. The guy who was supposed to be in charge was either on his phone or flirting with his girlfriend; the cooking appeared to be done by two teenagers who obviously couldn't care less about the food and appeared to hold conversations by punching each other in the shoulder. The barman was arrogant, and thought he was doing you a favor by condescending to serve you. The room only received a perfunctory cleaning and a nice layer of dust remained in place throughout my stay.
Also (and I don't blame the hotel for this), the taxi drivers' in the rank outside of the hotel attempted to rip me off twice; clearly they thought the cliental at this hotel to be exceptionally gullible, which may have a degree of truth looking at the reviews.
So to summarize, the hotel is more 'style and decoration' than anything else; basic service, good manners and customer service is lacking - and for seasoned travelers, with really good hotels to reference against, the holes in the package are obvious. To end on a positive note the hotel has the potential to be a good - if not a great hotel - but needs to concentrate on customer service and go back to basics in understanding that guests expect more than a nicely decorated room when they pay a premium price for accommodation

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
7 Thank TerriH936
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
TerriH936 -

Thank you for choosing the Monaco on your recent business trip to Philadelphia, and more importantly thank you for the honest and complete feedback. Some good news regarding your comments: we have coffeemakers available by request. Regarding the remaining feedback, frankly none of it is acceptable. If you have a need or a request, it must be met with enthusiasm and speed, not incredulity. I prefer a firm pillow myself and understand the frustration when that is not met.

Your experiences in the restaurant...there is no excuse. We do not accept that poor quality of service or food, and I assure you that our restaurant team is moving decisively to ensure that proper corrective actions are taken.

Finally...the taxis. They are ambassadors of the city, and we will make it clear to them that we are entrusting the care of our guests to them, and that we expect they treat you with the same respect we expect of ourselves.

The difference between very good and great is ultimately consistency. I thank you for helping us deliver the experience our guests deserve at each and every moment.

In service,

Elizabeth, New Jersey
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I am not going to mince words here- This is one of the very best hotels I have ever stayed in. For me, this is like my home away from home. I also like the Polomar (sister hotel) in Philly, but nothing beats the Monaco. Luxury (check), excellent customer service (check), fantastic rooms (check), awesome fellow guests (check), cool atmosphere (check), wonderful restaurant (check), the best bartenders (check), the best concierge (check), best location (check). Simply put, if you can stay at the Monaco, do it. As soon as you pull up and the well dressed/ well poised valet takes your car keys and one of the professional doormen takes your bags and escorts you inside, you are transported to a world of luxury and unsurpassed refinement. Since my first stay back in 2012, I do not say anywhere else when I am visiting Philly. I am already planning my 2014 stay.

Room Tip: I prefer the 1 bedroom suite on one of the top floors. Go for a corner or next to the corner room f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cbouknight
cbouknight -

No mincing words here either. Thank you for staying with us (check). Thank you for giving us (great) feedback (check). Thank you in advance for coming back (check).

Des Moines
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I loved this hotel. Smallish rooms, elegantly furnished but decorated with playful and unexpected details. Quiet and serene. Great location if you want to explore historical Philadelphia. Lots of great restaurants in walking distance as well.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
ddmt121 -

The devil's in the details, said somebody. Makes it sound worse than it should, as the details, especially the unexpected ones, are what makes the design here so great. Thanks for noticing and thanks for staying.

Happy travels -