“Worst hotel stay in years”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 16, 2014

If you're looking for a hotel that cares about their customers do NOT stay here. Never told cars took 25 minutes to be retrieved from garage nor is it printed on ticket. Texted for car as directed at 7:18 am with a request for a 7:30 departure. Car arrived at 7:55 (beyond their own 25 minute time span) - so late that it disqualified my child for competition (reason for visit). In addition, there was a party returning to their rooms in the middle of the night - five times the elevator dropped noisy guests - once maybe forgivable but five separate times we were awoken. You would think staff would be on high customer alert in the morning - totally not the case.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank adventurefamilyfive
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Dear adventurefamilyfive -

Words cannot express how disappointed we are in how your stay concluded. I can assure you of two things. One, the staff at the Monaco is the most passionate and dedicated team I have worked with and everyone here is united in their goal of delivering the best expericence possible for our guests. Two, the opportunities we missed to assist you in your moment of need have been exhaustively discussed so that we will act more instinctively and decisively if our valet retrieval time conflicts with our guests' personal timeline in the future. Regarding the disruptive guests who disturbed you the night prior, I assure you we do not tolerate that behavior and took appropriate measures to end the disruption swiftly. I know we have already been in contact regarding these matters, but if you would like to discuss further or if I can be of any assistance in the future please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

In service,

Mark Hayes

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia

Reviewed March 15, 2014

This hotel is in the middle of it all. The liberty bell, visitors centers, independence hall are right outside the door or within a couple of blocks. The hotel is very modern . the staff are all very happy to assist with reservations and anything you may need. We reserved a room with park view and saw the visitors center and horse and carriages out the window. Definetly, take a carriage ride tour around the city the guides are great and its a wonderful experience. thirty minutes is about 40 dollars.The beds were queens sized and extremely comfortable. Climate control worked great. The rooms decor Is very eclectic. Clean , modern and comfortable room and hotel. As a added bonus the hotel served free wine from 5-6pm nightly and free candy and cookies for the kids. The lobby also provided fresh fruit infused water daily.
Defiently,worth the price!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Jenn F -

The location is unlike any other I have ever seen. To be a stone's throw (don't do that!) from the LIberty Bell and Independence Hall is kind of surreal. Happy you were able to take part of our Saturday Kids' Hour - no reason adults should have all the fun with the wine hour.

Best -

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Bad for kimpton hotels. came to the hotel after the late flight and there was a weird stain on the pillow on the bed called the manager told him about it he said they can come and change out the pillows or the bed!!?and this is a 2 o'clock in the morning why not switches to another room had to argue with manager about this and finally they did. Very not professional. We stay at kimpton Hotels all the time and they r always top costumer service. The bed sheets are not that nice very staticky. Not worth the 200$ + a night we paid

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear worlreview -

The only thing I want to find on my pillow is a chocolate, so clearly I am disappointed as you that the pillowcase was not discarded as it should have been when the room was cleaned. We always like to make sure that our guests have the full array of choices at their disposal to make themselves as comfortable as possible but we probably need to speed up those discussions at 2am. Please contact me at mark.hayes@hotelmonaco.com the next time you may be traveling to Philadelphia so I may ensure you have the Kimpton experience you have been accustomed to.

Regards,

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I'm currently in day three of a one week stay. A federal court juror, they gave me government rates which they were not obligated to do. I had to bring my dog (on meds) and no where else could I stay so close to the courthouse and give him the meds on breaks.

Pet super friendly including housekeeping which you don't usually find. No extra charge, and a relief walk is just across the street. Lots of grass for your dog which you don't see very often in the center of a major city. Many of the nearby restaurants have outdoor tables and allow you to sit with your dog however until it warms up they don't open until 4pm or so.

No one doesn't smile. No one doesn't help you in any way they can. I locked myself out of my room safe and within ten minutes I was good to go with no charge

Yes, every guest seems to be special. Somehow they remember your name after just one meeting. Yes, you should tip per the guidelines you can find on the web for four and five star hotels. The employees appreciate it and again, actually remember you.

The free Wi-Fi for In-Touch members (free to join) is super fast--the fastest I've seen at a hotel.

The base rooms, while not huge, are modern and functional. The waIk-in showers are a literal blast. I usually reserve a base room and in the past am offered an upgrade at a discounted price within a week of my stay which I always take. These aren't guaranteed and if the hotel is full you won't get it.

So everything is perfect except....

Breakfast in your room is excessive (price wise) and for my one time the quality was poor. Two eggs, two barely cooked links, hash browns, toast, coffee. $35. without tip. They can do better, especially since I ordered bacon which they didn't have. They did call and let me know of the no-bacon problem and I accepted the links. I'll pay top dollar for good quality but this wasn't it.

You have the convenience of an in-room mini-bar and 24/7 room service. Of course, these don't come cheaply. Within a half mile or so, however, there is a PA state liquor store and a SuperFresh grocery store. You can easily walk to these. You can refrigerate leftovers in the mini-bar fridge but there is no microwave.

The forty a night fee for parking is steep but you are in the middle of Olde/Center City.

And so far that's all I can find. Order the mussels at the Red Owl for mere $11.00 and leave stuffed.

Go to wine hour. Everyone else does. They are very liberal with the pouring.

Walk to everything that is historic Philly. Or take the SEPTA which is close by. The buggy rides are cool and you can take your dog along. The horses are all dog-friendly.

Room Tip: Reserve basic king then upgrade to Parkview King when they e-mail you a discounted offer. If the Ho...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Glenn K
PHM_HotelManager, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2014

Glenn K -

There is no doubt that we have to do a better job of delivering top quality across all areas of the operation and cannot accept the convenience of a service as sufficient. I assure you our restaurant team is working tirelessly to ensure your expectations will be met in future. And if you just want to cook yourself, we do offer microwaves for in-room use.

Sounds like everything else is working out pretty well for you. Hopefully you will have the opportunity on less judicial reasons.

Regards -

Reviewed March 10, 2014

We spent one night at this hotel at the end of our vacation on the way home. The hotel itself was positive, reliable Monaco experience. I'm a frequent Kimpton guest. This Monaco is on par with other Monaco properties I've had in other cities. Plus I was celebrating my birthday and the staff surprised me with cake and bubbly. So all was good until breakfast the next morning.

We had such a poor experience at the Red Owl Tavern for breakfast that I'll not revisit the restaurant or hotel. We were consist ely ignored by or server, ended up woth the wrong food and then experienced a truly condescending attitude from the manager on duty. It was decidedly not Kimpton worthy. See my review for Red Owl Tavern.

I spent a week in Philly three months later but due to my Red Owl Tavern experience, I went to the Loews.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

JLB_miles_to_go -

We have made significant changes in Red Owl Tavern since you last stayed with us in July 2013, not the least of which is a new Chef. We would agree that behavior was not our best foot forward. Hopefully you will reconsider and give us another shot, particularly since the hotel experience was such a positive one.

Regards -

Reviewed March 10, 2014

Visited the hotel this weekend for a wedding. Did not stay in the hotel but was in the rooms all day and got to experience the grounds.
The hotel is really nice and funky. All the furnishings are nicely done and comfortable. We were in a corner room with a great view of the liberty bell grounds.
The staff was very helpful. bringing things to the room for us as we needed (water, chairs, food, etc)
Also got to experience the wine hour which was great. Everyone heads down to the lobby for some free wine and socializing.
The grounds of the lobby are really nice and funky and made for a great back drop for pictures.
On Friday night we went to the roof top lounge and had a private room with drinks and food. Drinks were not that great. The outside heating and fire pits were pretty cool though.
I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay somewhere fun and in a good location.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

uraqc -

Sounds like a great "stay" - hopefully you will come back and give the sleeping accommodations a whirl next time. You will have to give Stratus another shot. Bess, our lead at the bar, is a cocktail savant and can whip up anything you can dream up.

Cheers!

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I did not know Philly at all nor did I know the hotel, but found it quite surprising both for the location and the interior. I loved the decor and loved the room, which was roomy, comfortable and beautifully decorated, besides being brand new as I understand the hotel has not been open for long. The hotel offers hot drinks in the mornings for just anyone (a blessing in the icy cold winter weather), and has a (free) wine-tasting hour in the early evening again for anyone staying there. The restaurant is also great. I just had a little issue with my staying being charged on my card though it had been pre-paid. It was credited back a couple of days later but the difference in currency exchange meant I had to pay some $15- this is more down to exchange rates and I only realised after my stay of course, but it would not had happened if there had been no charge. No big deal but just prevents me from giving 5 stars which are otherwise deserved.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Molosso -

Philly is surprisingly awesome. Glad you were able to experience it and us on your recent trip. Sorry that it ended on a down note. Every detail counts and we are committed to making sure we are not overlooking any.

Safe travels -