“Excellent Hotel in an excellent location.”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Philadelphia, PA
“Excellent Hotel in an excellent location.”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is very new and the entire building is well appointed. There is a nice rooftop bar that has interior and outside tables. The concierge was outstanding with recommendations for restaurants and activities.

• Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (792)
  • Turkish first
Hilo,HI
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Rooms were very clean, and modern. They even put a goldfish in the room for the kids! It was really nice to stay at a trendy hotel that was so family friendly. The restaurant that as attached was also excellent.
We will be back!
thanks!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Perth
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco somewhat based on the reviews, but largely because of the location.

The hotel is directly opposite the Independence Mall and therefore a great position from which to visit all of the historical sights. Its also very feasible to walk into the heart of the city and also places like the Rittenhouse square which is definitely worth a visit. But its not a short walk needing about 20 to 30 minutes to get to the best shopping.

The area immediately around the hotel offers very little in terms of shopping or restaurants and again you will need to be prepared for a 10 to 15 minute walk up Chestnut to get to some eateries. The Bourse is next door and while worth a visit for the architecture, the food was decidedly average to poor.

We stayed in a corner suite which was a very good size. The room, as with the whole hotel, is totally based on the unique style of Kimpton. Everything seems to be purpose made and the style is very bold and eclectic. We knew this going in and were keen to experience something a little out of the box but in all honesty we found that style was put a long way ahead of comfort and practicality. For example, the huge bathroom has little space for placing your things, only one side of the bed has a bedside table, all the furniture in the sitting room was very uncomfortable and if you wanted an in room meal you needed to be prepared to eat it off the desk.

In terms of staff, we weren't made to feel particularly welcome by the check in staff but found the doormen very friendly and willing to help. The Red Owl (hotel restaurant) servers were also a bit on the cold side.

While I could completely understand people getting a kick of staying at a hotel like this, we found it the attention to style over comfort disappointing.

But in saying that, the hotel is undeniably elegant, stylish and luxurious.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I booked this hotel for business based on the Tripadvisor reviews and had a very pleasant stay.

As the other reviews note, the hotel has quirky and fun decor throughout. The bed was very comfortable and the service I received was very high quality. The room service was also delicious and the location cannot be beat if you have any interest in seeing the city's historic sites. The standard king rooms are a little small for my taste, unfortunately.

I did not give the property an excellent rating because I reserve that for the very best hotels with top of the line service and amenities, and I think the Hotel Monaco falls short of that. That said, I would stay at the property again if in town for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Standard king rooms are a bit cramped and those rooms do not have the soaking tub. Will need to upg...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 16, 2013
Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review the hotel. If you have some time, please reach out to me so I can hear more about your stay.

Safe Travels,

New York
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We are staying in a one bedroom suite. A beautiful room! Day 1, pretty clean in general, but I found some obvious dark stain on the front side of the bathroom sink. Day 2 today, the bed was made, towels are replaced and floor vacuumed. The desk mad coffee tables are left not wiped. Used wine glasses are still on the desk. No cups are refilled for the Coffee machine. The glasses in the bathroom were never replaced.

A hotel's house keeping is crucial. This is unacceptable in my opinion, especially for an expensive hotel such as this.

This will be our last time here.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank floppylo
You are 100% right housekeeping can make or break a hotel. I would love for you to connect with you so I can hear more about your stay. I appreciate you reaching out.

Best,

philadelphia suburbs
Reviewed November 12, 2013

Due to an unfortunate series of events we were unable to go away for our anniversary so Plan B was to find a nice hotel in the city for our special night. We had stayed at Hotel Monaco once before and I'd liked the Corner King Spa Room (can't beat that nighttime view from the soaking tub) so after comparing our options at area hotels we again chose the Monaco!

POSITIVES: The decor is really really fun throughout. The comp wine hour in the lobby by the fireplace is such a nice experience. The location I think is great: horse-drawn carriage rides right out front, excellent movies nearby at the Landmark, plenty of good places to eat, still within walking distance of center city and the museums, and many lovely parks to stroll through arm-in-arm with someone special or enjoy a hot chocolate while snuggling on a bench watching the world go by.

CHECK-IN: Upon arrival, all smiles, I excitedly announced to the front desk we were there to check-in to the best room in the city! Their response (expressionless): "Name?" Not exactly the warm welcome we'd gotten during our last stay. On our reservation we had requested early check-in. And while we know this can't be guaranteed the clerk could have handled the situation better. He tells us our room is not ready and says no less than three times that "standard check-in is 3:00" which of course we already know. He says our room is a Premiere Room and will not be ready until the "standard check-in at 3:00." We say we are disappointed nothing can be done. He says, "you can call in a bit to see if the room is ready early." I ask instead if HE can call US and he agrees. They hold our bags as we head out for lunch. About 13 blocks into our journey for a perfect falafel meal the hotel calls: our room is ready. While we do appreciate that they appeared to have expedited the preparation of our room we were, at this point, well on our way so we continued to lunch.

Seeing as how we had booked a "Premiere Room" it would have been nice to receive "Premiere Service." The situation could have been handled in a myriad of ways, here is one: We arrive, are warmly greeted. Apologies are made that the room is not yet ready. We are offered a complimentary drink while the room is prepared. We are shown to our fabulous room, all is right with the world.

ROOM: 1) The room was not really all that clean. Poor service is one thing but to also have a room containing remnants of the last guest is even more disappointing. Perhaps in the rush to get our room prepared they skimped on this step. 2) Our previous stay we had received just a general note of welcome from the Monaco staff, which is always a nice touch. This time, nothing. Which is doubly disappointing since we made clear in our reservation form we were celebrating our anniversary. Even plain old "not celebrating anything special" Mr. Webster had received a welcome note, who we can only deduce was the guest who stayed before us as his welcome note was still sitting in the top drawer of the tv stand. I'm not saying we are "entitled" to anything just because it is a special occasion for us, but give us at least the basics of what a regular guest receives. And yes, adding "Happy Anniversary!" at the bottom wouldn't hurt.

IN-TOUCH: We are In-Touch members which is just a free loyalty program you can sign up for online. In addition to points towards future stays you can create a profile of your preferences like which complimentary newspaper you would like delivered, pillow type, your dog's favorite treats, etc. This is nice in theory as it makes one feel the hotel is preparing the room especially for you. In addition to our early-check in, on our In-Touch reservation we requested extra towels and our newspaper of choice. You can probably guess-we received none of those things. The only thing we *did* receive due to being In-Touch members was $10 raid on the minibar, which is fun-and solely in our control which is the only reason we were able to enjoy this perk (: I'm not sure I understand the purpose of filling out In-Touch preferences if even objective requests, such as extra towels, aren't honored?

CHECK OUT: At check out we were asked the standard "how was your stay" and we started to nod our heads and smile that it was fine but then decided to to be honest. I genuinely feel like our concerns were heard. Octavia we felt was professional and courteous and acknowledged the shortcomings we encountered and made no excuses for them. At this point she did what she could to end our stay on a positive note-she gave us her card and said for future stays to contact her directly and she offered us complimentary breakfast at Red Owl. While we all agreed it would have been preferable that our stay had been better, we sincerely appreciate she did her best to offset things.

POST-STAY SURVEY: I was emailed a survey asking about our recent stay and I responded with essentially what I've written here. I actually thought (naively) someone would reach out to us and apologize things had gone the way they did, or something. But I never heard back which is disappointing. I thought perhaps it was just a fluke, the bad experience we had that stay, but I am reluctantly coming to realize perhaps it is simply indicative of the customer service of the Kimpton chain overall.

Perhaps it comes with age or with travel abroad but we have learned that "good service" and meaningful interactions really have an impact on the quality of a stay.

It is such a neat hotel. I can say with honesty I hope they can take this feedback and use it to make improvements.

Room Tip: The best room in the house: Corner King Spa (nighttime view of Independence Hall from soaking tub is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank carrieandchris
Thank you for reaching out to us and sharing your feedback. I have your contact information and hope you don’t mind me reaching out to you.

Best,

Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel multiple times and the high quality of service and attention to detail remains. The staffs is amazing the rooms have been comfortable and immaculate.

In past years we have stayed at The Four Seasons when we've been in Phila.
Now we wouldn't dream of staying anywhere other than Hotel Monaco.

The only thing that needs improvement, in my opinion, is the quality of thefood in the on-site restaurant. This seems to be an issue at quite a few Kimptons that operate the restaurant rather then have it run but an outside entity. (although we had room service twice and it was excellent)

Room Tip: become an inner circle member. great perks.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your amazing review! I'm happy to hear that you've found us and are never letting us go. I'm going to let you in on a secret.... We have a new executive chef starting with us very soon. I'm excited to have you come back and try his new menu!

Thanks again,