“Good price and friendly service”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I had a lovely stay in Philadelphia at the Hotel Monaco. I like Kimptons and stay at one when I get the chance, and this did not disappoint at all. The staff was friendly and the room was clean and spacious. Only quirk I remember was I couldn't find a price list for how much anything in the mini-bar cost, and I wanted to know what I was getting in to before I cracked open a drink.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Hi Abigail! Thanks so much for taking the time to show us some love!

Hope you get to check out some of our new Kimptons joining the family soon.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed October 30, 2013

The rooms are beautifully decorated, as is the lobby and rest of the hotel space. Had some trouble with cell phone service, and there was no wifi in the rooms. The front desk staff was very accommodating and friendly, as were the people working the valet out front.

We stayed here at a discounted rate for a wedding, and I'd say the hotel was *maybe* worth that cost. If I had paid full price for a room, I would have been sorely disappointed. There wasn't even a fridge with space to store items (the fridge was stocked with mini-bar items with no room for anything else).

The location is good, and maybe this is par for the course in Center City. I just expected more.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to send us some helpful feedback. I hope everyone had a great time at the wedding.

Cheers,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

The rooms are very boldly decorated , yellow , black white . Comfortable beds and pillows.
Good security , you need your room key to get the elevator to go to your floor.
Lower level conference rooms - cell phones do not work , no service.
Parking is $40.00 a night and it is valet , in and out service. Door men and valets are very nice and helpful . The location of this Hotel is really good , very close to historic sights and all major roads.

Room Tip: really isn't a bad room in the house
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share feedback on your stay. I hope you had fun in Philly - we do have a great welcome team!

Cheers,

Reviewed October 28, 2013

this hotel was just average and so was the service. the LOBBY is set up weird. there wasn't anyone behind the front desk when we got there to check in on a saturday night. I had to ask another hotel guest if this was the lobby. I specifically reserved two double beds, but when I got to the room there was only one king bed. the FRONT DESK was unapologetic about it and basically said "there's nothing i cand do we are sold out". as far as the DECOR of the hotel it is supposedd to be french style modeled after the country monaco in europe. However, i have been to monaco in europe and really the Monaco hotel is brightly colored, cheesy, and has dirty carpeting in the room. The actual guest rooms are tiny. Now let's talk about the LOCATION: if you are going to stratus lounge, old city or the historic sights in philadelphia this is a good location. If you are planning on going anywhere in rittenhouse square where most of the shopping, restaurants and trendy places are, just stay somewhere near rittenhouse square. it's not nice enought here to cab it back and forth, unless you get a really good room rate. About the stratus lounge: they will make you wait outside in line to get in, even if they aren't crowded, even if you are a hotel guest and even if you ate at the red owl tavern inside because it's a "seperate property". a clear lack of customer service here; this would never happen in new york city or vegas. let's talk about hotel Parking: prepare to pay $40 for the valet or park in the lot about 4 blocks down. Clearly they didn't get the memo that this isn't new york city. this rate is not on par with any other lot in center city philadelphia, and i spend a lot of time in the city for work. In summary, not a horrible experience, but not a great one either. only stay here if you get a really good room rate.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

I really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay. It’s through direct feedback that we are able to grow and continuously improve. I've shared your review with our operations managers.

Thank you!

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Spent two nights here on a business/pleasure trip. Love the small feel of the hotel. Charming, but with a very eclectic feel. Decor is very modern - love the zebra print bathrobes and yoga mat they leave in the closet for you. Front desk staff was helpful and accommodating. The only drawback here is having to valet park your car (they take your car to an off-premise parking facility which has a hefty fee per day, and when needing to pick your car up at the end of your stay, it can take up to 30 minutes for them to get your vehicle, so best to call down early to get it).

The rooftop bar was fun for a nightcap. Red Owl restaurant on premises also serves up good food. If you feel like walking a few blocks, don't miss the Reading Terminal Market and a stop at DiNic's for their famous pork and beef sandwiches...a must do before leaving Philly.

This hotel is very close to some fun sightseeing attractions (U.S. Mint and Liberty Bell was fun to see). Also, the double decker tour buses were fun (try the tour of Eastern State Penitentiary which has an amazing amount of history to it).

Would definitely recommend this hotel to others, so long as you don't mind the significant eclectic flair and funky room decor!

Room Tip: Request a room away from the trash dumpsters, as this was a small drawback to our room location when...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

It sounds like you may have been talking to our GM Nick - his favorite lunchtime spot is DiNic's for the roast pork and broccoli rabe. And he makes sure to hit up Eastern State every Halloween season! So glad you had a great time. Hopefully it was less business than pleasure. Come back and see us anytime!

Thanks for sharing,

Reviewed October 27, 2013

We enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Monaco, but I think we were a little let down after reading all the hype and rave reviews. First, the things we loved: You cannot beat the location of this hotel - access to historical sites is within very easy walking distance. The concierge, Brian, was fantastic! Very knowledgeable and helpful. The hotel is beautiful as is the décor. Loved the funkiness of this place! Room was immaculate and quiet. Plenty of outlets to plug in my electronic devices, which I loved.

Second, my disappointments: Whoever designed the shower in this place should be fired. Since it does not really have a door, water sprays and pools everywhere - bathroom floor, bathroom door, bathroom walls, and if your bathroom door is open it will shoot out into the hallway carpet. No matter how we positioned the shower head, it was impossible to remedy. Next, our toilet stopped up every day we were there even though the tissue paper in this place is truly paper thin. Required plumber visits. Every time I was in the lobby, the water was empty. This hotel has no vending machines or snack shop so you are forced to purchase a $6.00 bottle of water if you want anything to drink. On the subject of food and drink, avoid the Red Owl Tavern (the hotel restaurant). Food was mediocre and pricey, but the service is what is really awful. We waited so long for our food (hamburgers) that we weren't even hungry after enjoying our appetizer. We ordered a whoopee pie for dessert, and it was disgusting. So dry and stale that it was inedible. Fortunately, our server offered to remove it from our bill which I appreciated.

I would stay here again. I guess for the price and the rave reviews, I was expecting a little more. But still a great choice if you are visiting the area.

1  Thank Worldtravelers07

Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing your feedback about your stay. We are currently working on a fix for the showers. It seems to affect some rooms and not others. I will be passing all your comments on to our management team so that we can continue to improve. Please keep my contact information for the next time you stay with us.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Philadelphia was not at its best for our visit with lots of rain and the government museums and attractions closed by the strike. Our hotel became more important give these other negatives and it did not let us down. we had a room overlooking Independence Hall and The Liberty Bell and were able to observe fellow tourists standing wet and mournful outside both at all hours morning, noon and night.

The hotel staff were enthusiastic and knowledgeable and despite being very busy remembered our requests and details. Early morning coffee, and importantly for my wife tea, were available from 6am and were very well presented in the reception area. The complimentary happy hour from 5pm was well attended and lively and served much better wine than is usual on such occasions.

on joining the guests club were were offered $10 complimentary drinks from the room bar which was a nice touch and very unusual.

Room Tip: must overlook Independence Hall
1  Thank bruval123

Even though the government had a few days off, our team was on the top of their game. We wanted to make sure everyone got the best of what Philadelphia had to offer. So glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and felt at home at the Monaco. I hope you'll come back to see us.

Best,