“The staff couldn't be better.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel
Ranked #2 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Austin, Texas
“The staff couldn't be better.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I always enjoy Kimpton Hotels. They have a sense of style and flair that makes travel fun. But the best (so far) is the Hotel Monaco in Philly. The rooms are bold in a curious and fabulous way -- sort of Alice in Wonderland meets Independence Hall with a splash of Chinese red thrown in for good measure. I adore the robes in the closet -- take your pick between a faux leopard skin or a grey hoodie, depending on your mood. The happy hour wine in the lobby is great, the morning coffee equally impressive. I had a problem with my first room, and the staff upgraded me in *very( fine form. All of this is wonderful, but the Monaco knocks it out of the park with exceptional staff. Everyone -- everyone -- is helpful, gracious, respectful, and FUN. I'd like to give a particular shout-out to Matthew (housekeeping guru), as well as "T" and Darnell who greet guests with phenomenal flair. Next time I'm in Philly, I'll be coming back to the Monaco.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
It’s the staff that makes the difference! There are plenty of beautiful hotels, but our staff is what makes our guests comes back and brings new ones in. Thank you for the shout out to three of our amazing staff members.

Glad to see we're your new Philly hotel.

Thanks for the love!

Jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (712)
  • Turkish first
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

Only stayed here one night, but there are many things to comment on. The hotel sent me an email about a week or so before my arrival and asked if there was anything they could do for me. I made 3 requests and told them the reason for my trip to Philadelphia. The person who checked me in upon arrival mentioned my local business, which was a very nice touch, and check in was quick and easy. Clearly they had read my email and were acting upon it. Good job.

The traffic in front of the hotel is a nightmare, but T (or is it Tee?) the parking guy/doorman/all around competent friendly guy in charge of the front of the hotel, made sure that cars were moved in and out swiftly. He is a delight and will make you feel welcomed. Valet parking is all there is, but it was a breeze.

The room décor was the busiest I have ever seen. Everywhere you looked there was a design or a color. The wall paper was crazy loud and the doors are yellow and there was lots of red, etc. I wish the décor had been more muted or refined, but be prepared for a sensory overload! I thought the room was small and there was no bathtub. Upon arrival, my 3 requests from the email were not taken care of, but when I returned to my room later that evening, everything was in place. I had asked for flowers and a nice bouquet appeared. I asked for a specific type of soda and no alcohol in the mini-fridge and that was taken care of. I asked for a small fruit plate and a chilled fruit plate was provided. Nice. However, the hotel provides no slippers (strange for a hotel with this service) and not knowing that these weren't provided, I called guest services and requested a pair of slippers. I was assured they were on their way. However, it took 2 more phone calls and almost an hour before 2 pairs of socks were brought to my room. The bathroom amenities are wonderful and there is a real hair dryer provided. The robes were terrific.

Breakfast was scrumptious, if not a bit pricey, and the valet service was quicker than promised in bringing my car to the front. Overall, the staff is all about service, and that is wonderful, but I'm not that crazy about the over-decoration of the rooms and the room was very small. The bed slept great.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you so much for writing to us about your stay at the Monaco. I really enjoyed seeing how our staff was able to take care of everything you needed. We believe that every request is important, as we know being away from home isn't always ideal. Hope you'll come see us again.

Best,

Jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013 via mobile

Nicer than expected. Valet and reception are great. Rooms are comfortable and spacious (king spa room). Bed was very firm and comfy ! A good location. The maid service is competent. The gym has several cardio options and wasn 't cramped. I enjoyed using it--clean towels, water and newspapers! Great value for lication and comfort! Highly recommend.

Exceeding expectations is the name of the game! Glad to see you had a great stay. Thank you for sharing!

Yorktown Heights, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

We can't say enough wonderful things about this hotel and its staff. First of all, you can't beat the location. It was absolutely perfect. The hotel is designed eclectically, which makes for interesting conversation. The most impressive asset is the staff. I have NEVER met a more friendly, personable and professional group. Are they always in such good moods?! Everyone from the people handling the doors and the wait staff, to the front desk and room maintenance workers went out of his/her way to be helpful. We were celebrating a special occasion, and they helped to make it even more special. We felt as if we were family (in a good way!). The complimentary wine, flavored water and watermelon sangria in the evening was a great surprise! The spacious and comfy lobby area was perfect for group conversation and, in our case, board games and the rooms were clean, interestingly decorated and spacious. My suggestions for future guests would be to self park in the nearby lot (it saves some money - although the valet service is very reliable), definitely order the breakfast pumpkin muffins in the restaurant (if available), and request a room with a street view (as opposed to inner courtyard). Otherwise the room can be a little dark. Also, give a warm hello to "Christy" at the front desk She deserves it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Nothing warms my heart more than reading guest expereinces like yours. I promise the staff really is always that happy. I have yet to catch one of them not smiling. I can't thank you enough for sharing your story. I will most definitely tell Christy you said hello.

Come back soon!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Maybe the great weather on our visit or the superb location of the Monaco were contributing factors, but this hotel is ideal for a visit to Philly. Excellent professional service from everyone there. We were there when the government shutdown was in effect, but there is so much to do in the area, it was not really an issue. The hotel has a warm friendly atmosphere. The wine tasting is a very popular event in the evening, get there early and grab a seat in the lobby, it fills up fast. You can walk to everywhere in the historic district in minutes. We're already planning on coming back in the spring. A bit pricey, but well worth it.

Room Tip: If you're going to stay here, go for the Parkview room. Awesome to look out over Independence H...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Jessica L, Manager at Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
The weather has been unbelievable the past couple days especially for October, so you're right it doesn't hurt. Though, I think you nailed it with the amazing location, professional service and of course the warm friendly atmosphere. I love reading that you will be back in the spring. If you're not already a member, you should sign up for our InTouch Loyalty program. We do member only rates throughout the year that you might be able to take advantage of.

See you soon!
Madisonville, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I stayed here this past weekend, and while I was disappointed that so many attractions in Philly were closed,I have no complaints about the hotel. The location was perfect--near many good restaurants and tourist attractions. And the hotel itself was perfection. It was funky, charming, and spotlessly clean. The beds were soft and inviting, and I loved the leopard print robe. The lobby always smelled good, which added to the welcoming vibe. The staff were friendly and helpful, and I appreciated the nice little touches like a wine hour, good morning teas, and fruited water all day. I hope I can come back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
We are hoping that this shutdown doesn't last long. As pretty as it looks lit up at night, nothing beats being able to see the Liberty Bell up-close. We'll be here for you! And like you send if you can't see all the sites, there are plenty of great restaurants to keep you busy.

Thanks!

Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

This hotel has a great vibe for a boutique/trendy hotel. The staff is very friendly. The rooms are well decorated. The attached restaurant is lively with an interesting menu. They have free wine in the evening, which a really nice touch. The location is great if you're there for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Our wine hour isn't just fun for our guests, our managers love hosting! I'll take a wine glass and a friendly face over a computer screen any day.

Thanks for the love!