“A wonderful hotel experience”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The rooms at the Monaco are great but the staff and location are the best. I had a couple questions before our stay and my emails were answered quickly. I followed the hotel on Facebook and also registered as a preferred customer and we received several free coupons. So just ask!
They had a nice wine social every evening and we met some nice travelers . It is so easy to walk or get a cab from this hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kemistry2000
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

I couldn't agree more, our rooms are unmatched, but our staff (and location) are what sets us above the rests. And of course the InTouch member benefits are the icing on the cake.

Come back and visit soon!
Jessica

Write a ReviewReviews (2,811)

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Our son proposed to his girl-friend in New York on Saturday night (she said yes!). They drove in from New York, we drove in from Washington D.C. and we met at the Monaco in Philadelphia. It was a special evening in that this was the first time we would meet our future daughter-in-law, a new engagement only one day prior, and we were celebrating our anniversary that weekend.

From the moment we arrived the staff was gracious, fun and excited to make our special evening - special! They provided two drink tickets for us to settle in after a long drive. The bar was quiet and cozy. Our room, a corner one-bedroom suite, was incredible. The views are outstanding with large windows on two sides of the room. The furnishings/decorating lovely. And, they surprised us with a bottle for champagne as they knew we were beginning our evening with a toast to the engaged couple in our room!

We enjoyed a glass of wine in the lobby, dined at the Red Owl and all our meals were excellent, and ended the evening on the roof-top deck and warm breezes. We spent our entire time at the Monaco and wouldn't change a thing. They made it a night we'll all four remember.

This was our first experience in a Kimpton Hotel, and now we'll be seeking them out as we travel.

Room Tip: Corner one-bedroom suites are wonderful.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

What a beautiful memory that you and your family have now. I'm so greatful that you chose to share that with us. I wish you and your growing family all the best, and hope the Monaco continues to be the place you can enjoy such special celebrations!

Best Wishes!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

Maybe my expectations were a bit high, but I was a little disappointed with my two-night stay at the Hotel Monaco. The front desk service was average, rooftop bar just ho-hum (no views, no attentive service) and my bathroom wasn’t private enough and prone to flooding after brief showers. In regards to the lackluster service, I guess my travel dates are to blame. Unless you’re a bride or an attendant, don’t expect great service if you’re checking in on a June weekend. Aside from all that, my room was clean, the bed comfortable and I was very pleased with the hotel's location. I would probably give the hotel another chance, just not in June.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Kyrsten,

The last think I want is for any of our guests to feel overlooked or less important than another guest. I do hope that you will give us another chance. I'd love to find out more about your stay. Please reach out to me directly: jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

I chose this hotel because of its location and its rating on TA – although i did become concerned enough over a few of the ratings to contact the manager prior to my arrival, i needn’t have worried. The hotel is in a fabulous location for visiting the old city, and from my corner room overlooking the park, i could see Independence Hall. Yes, you can hear the bell when it chimes on the hour, but only if you’re listening for it. Traffic noise was minimal as well, as was guest noise. The room was clean and lovely, and while it was on the smallish side, it certainly wasn’t uncomfortably so. I would definitely choose to stay here again should i return to this area, and i would certainly recommend the park view upgrade.

Room Tip: upgrade to a park view room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

Hi again!

Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful details about your stay. It makes me smile to read about experiences like yours. Willing to take a chance to experience it yourself and having great time! I hope you'll be back again soon.

Cheers,

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I loved the trendy decorations. The rooms are small but quaint. The hotel was clean and the service was friendly. The staff went above and beyond the call of duty to provide great customer service. Fireplaces in the lobby are welcoming and relaxing. One really cute feature were the robes provided. Mens was made out of a sweatshirt and ladies was an animal print.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Thanks for stopping by and sharing the love! Our specialty robes are the perfect level of comfort after a long day. Come back and see us :)

Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is the second time I have booked a Kimpton hotel and chose this hotel based on the very good experience we had when we stayed at The Palomar in San Diego and also because of the trip advisor ratings and reviews that other guests had posted.

This was our first visit to Philadelphia and because we were not familiar with the city we wanted to stay in a hotel that was close to historical monuments such as, Liberty Bell and Independence Hall and having read other guest reviews my husband and I 100% agree that this is a fabulous location. You step out the front door of the hotel and less than 50m away are both attractions, amazing. We felt very safe in this area and prefer the location to further up the street where the other Kimpton property is located.

We arrived by train and it took less than 10 mins to get to the hotel from 30th street station by taxi ($13) and our first impression of the hotel when got to check-in was WOW. The lobby and check-in desks have a very warm and modern feel but with an almost oriental twist. Brian the concierge was very professional and friendly and check-in was very efficient.

Our room was ready for us and we stayed in room 826. The room was adequate in size and the decor is kitsch - blue wallpaper and images of the Liberty Bell, red high gloss drawers and yellow woodwork. If I'm honest it's not my cup of tea, I much preferred the decor in San Diego but I guess it adds to the charm of this hotel. The bathroom was a lovely size and my husband loved the power shower! The only negative I could say about the room is that the vent did not work in the bathroom so the room felt a little damp because of all of the condensation but it didn't affect our stay in the slightest. The bed has to be one of the most comfortable we have ever stayed in and the pillows are fabulous and soft, you just sink into them which I loved!

Wine hour was an added bonus and the tea and coffee each morning in the lobby was a treat although I think facilities in your room should be offered considering this is a high end boutique style property. The hotel bar is very nice and the prices and more than reasonable also but sadly because of the weather on the Saturday night we did not get to visit the rooftop lounge.

There are plenty of bars and restaurants in and around the location along Chestnut Street and Market Street and you must head up to the food market on 11th as there are some wonderful food stalls and the oldest ice cream shop in Philly.

I am really pleased I stayed at The Monaco and would definitely stay here again as it was a perfect vacation weekend in Philly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Danielle,

I love hearing about guests that seek out Kimpton Hotels. It reassures me that we are doing it right. Glad to hear that you had an amazing stay with us, and you got to take full advantage of our location. I really appreciate your feedback.

Safe Travels!

Reviewed September 23, 2013

I happened upon this place totally by accident. I was raised in a blue-collar family and am kind of a schlub and this place was totally out of my league -- but they did the best they good for this gavone! The service was stupendous! Location is great! The room was little too small, though. The attached restaurant (part of the property) was OK -- generally good food and service but a bit pricey.

Room Tip: I would upgrade to a larger room with a park view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank calinjaxnc

We love all our guests equally! Glad you find us and hope you come back to the Monaco next time you are in Philly! I really appreciate you taking the time to post.

Best,