“Great location and staff”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The Monaco Hotel is a new property, open less than a year, in a great location in the heart of Old City, Philadelphia. The hotel is very modern, clean and quiet with great amenities like free coffee and newspapers in the morning and free water and wine in the evening. The location is steps from the historic section on Philadelphia which was great as we walked most of this vacation. The best part of the Monaco Hotel is the staff. They are genuinely friendly and meet your every need. A big Cleveland shout out to T, Rocky and Roshid!!!! You made our vacation fun and made us feel right at home.

Room Tip: Corner room had a great view of the historic buildings and was very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Stayed here for one night and loved the location. Room was excellent as I have come to expect from Kimpton. I plan on looking for Kimpton hotels all of the time. Location was right at independence mall and the activities there. Our room overlooked liberty bell and independence hall.

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on the 8th floor, corner room. Amazing views. Hear the Independence Hall clock chime with views of parks. Spacious room and bath. Modified happy hour at 5. Restaurant attached. Expensive but hip bar on the rooftop. Easy walking to so many historical sites. I think better city maps should have been made available When they remodeled I wish they would have kept an historical flair instead of the loud nouveau look. Squint squint

Reviewed July 18, 2013

In all of the years I have been traveling, the Monaco Hotel is the only one which damaged my car during the time it was parked at the hotel. Cars are apparently parked at a local garage of some sort. It took 20 minutes for the valet to bring it to the front door when I left. When the car arrived, the roof and hood were covered with dried cement residue caused by leaking water through the concrete ceiling the car. This is a huge problem as it is difficult to remove dried cement at all, and it can scratch and etch the paint. I complained and asked several times for a claim form so I could file a claim against the hotel. I was completely ignored. My complaints were dismissed by the valet who tried to rub off the cement with rag and a glass of water, scratching the paint the in the process. It was late in the day and I had a 3 hour ride home, so I left and spent 30 minutes in the heat at night at home trying to remove the cement. The next day, I spent another hour in the heat, using vinegar and water to release the calcium carbonate residue and a scratch remover to take off the etching in the clear coat. I am sure i am not the first person parked in this facility to have this problem. I was lucky as I was only parked one night. One of my relatives had similar problem at his apartment when a water leak leached the cement onto his vehicle and he was unable to remove it all. For a hotel that aspires to be a luxury hotel, this is an incredibly bad way to treat its guests. Once they noticed the problem they should have offered to fix the damage, instead of dismissing the problem and refusing to allow me to make a claim for damage. My first visit to his place will be my last one.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank johnsmith47
Jessica L, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Hi Mr. Smith,

I am very sorry that this is the first time I am hearing about the issue with your car, as it is completely not acceptable. Please reach out to me at jessica.lavin@hotelmonaco.com or 215-386-9462 so I can assist you with this claim.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Wishes,
Jessica

Reviewed July 18, 2013

I visit Philly at least 6 times a year for work. I'm a Rittenhouse Square girl. I've only stayed on 17th Street at either the Palomar there or the Sofitel across the street. My first choice had become the Sofitel for my stays; but I must say, Hotel Monaco is causing me to question that decision. Monaco is pretty great. The rooms, the rooftop lounge (although a view of Old City from there would have left an indelible imprint), the hummus at Red Owl...and most importantly the unparalleled service of Roshid and T will bring me back. They are amazing and went above and beyond to ensure I was taken care of. Well done and thank you.

If I were to make one recommendation---that would be to engage one more person in the cleaning staff to keep the halls on the guest floors as stellar as this amazing lobby. Otherwise, kudos! I shall be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window facing either Chestnut or 5th.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here one night in a king parkview room. While the decor was fun and trendy and the staff were friendly, the room was not very clean. None of the surfaces looked wiped or dusted, and the floor looked like it had not been vacuumed (candy wrapper and crumbs by the bed). The bathroom was fine, but really I felt like I needed to wear my shoes in the room because the floor was funky. Pillow had mascara smears. Also wiping down the leather headboards would help. Didn't see any evidence of bed bugs though so that is a plus. Not the type to make a fuss, but I should have informed management.

2  Thank Phlkh4
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hotel Monaco is right off of Independence Park, convenient to the majority of the tourist attractions and easily accessible to the subway.

As a Kimpton "Inner Circle" elite member, I was able to use my free night at the Monaco for the first of the two nights I stayed at the hotel. The welcome amenity was incredible (framed picture of Bill Murray in the room--check!), and we were able to get a great dinner at Red Owl, although the amount of food was totally over the top.

Wine hour was excellent, as always, and I got a chance to chat briefly with Michael about the Kimpton loyalty program, where it's going, etc.

I was upgraded to a fantastic suite on the top floor. A couple of reasons why this was even more incredible: 1) the bedroom was huge, which my mother loved; 2) the bathroom had a soaking tub with a beautiful view of the park; 3) dual-zone climate control, so I could keep the living room an icebox, and my mother could keep her room at 76.

We were impressed with the housekeeping staff as well as the in-room dining team. All in all, a great stay. If only Kimpton could have ordered better weather for our time in Philly!

Room Tip: High floor rooms offer the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family