Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Wyndham Philadelphia Historic District(Philadelphia)(Great Value!)
$146
$222
$203
Curio.com
  • Restaurant
Warwick Hotel Rittenhouse Square(Philadelphia)
$159
$139
Hotels.com
$167
2,877 results
All reviewsthe red owl tavernrooftop barindependence hallliberty bellalice in wonderlandwine hourstratus loungeold cityacross the streetpark viewsoaking tubyoga matcomplimentary winewedding weekendbeautiful hotelmini barhistoric district
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Hotel Monaco is right off of Independence Park, convenient to the majority of the tourist attractions and easily accessible to the subway.

As a Kimpton "Inner Circle" elite member, I was able to use my free night at the Monaco for the first of the two nights I stayed at the hotel. The welcome amenity was incredible (framed picture of Bill Murray in the room--check!), and we were able to get a great dinner at Red Owl, although the amount of food was totally over the top.

Wine hour was excellent, as always, and I got a chance to chat briefly with Michael about the Kimpton loyalty program, where it's going, etc.

I was upgraded to a fantastic suite on the top floor. A couple of reasons why this was even more incredible: 1) the bedroom was huge, which my mother loved; 2) the bathroom had a soaking tub with a beautiful view of the park; 3) dual-zone climate control, so I could keep the living room an icebox, and my mother could keep her room at 76.

We were impressed with the housekeeping staff as well as the in-room dining team. All in all, a great stay. If only Kimpton could have ordered better weather for our time in Philly!

Room Tip: High floor rooms offer the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Preston C
Reviewed July 14, 2013

What a great hotel! Really cool mix of modern furniture with colonial colors, and so many neat little touches throughout the hotel that make it fun. We stayed in a King Parkview room which had a nice view of Independence Hall and the park that holds the Liberty Bell, and if your main reason for visiting is to see the historic sites this is the perfect spot. This is right in the center of the historic old city so you can walk out the door and see the sites or hop on a carriage ride or site seeing bus. It's also walking distance or a short cab ride to South Philly, Penns Landing, and Center City, and it's not much further to get over to the art museum area or University city. This area has lots of great restaurants, including the Red Owl which is right in the hotel. We loved our room, it didn't seem to be much different in size to most hotel rooms, the bed was very comfortable, and our room was quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful and we had a great time!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank embc109
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My boyfriend and I used to live in Old City, so we knew the neighborhood would be clubby and annoying (and it was). Thankfully our room, located on the top floor, was far enough removed from the spray-tanned, stiletto-wearing scrum to be blissfully quiet. There is a cheesy club on the rooftop (think: girls in short-shorts wearing headpieces and clutching clipboards at the gate), but we passed on visiting. The room itself was quirkily decorated with fun wallpaper and textiles, and boasted a terrifically comfortable bed, a spacious shower, nice toiletries, and all the other amenities you'd expect at such a pricey (by Philly standards, anyway) place.

On the down side, the lobby and first-floor halls were often chaotic, as the hotel hosts weddings and other events; good luck finding your way around and dodging the drunks.

The worst thing, by far, was the valet parking. At $40 a night (plus tips—everyone has their hand out), you expect decent service. But no. It took 30+ minutes every time we wanted to access the car, despite having called from the room in advance. On several occasions, including when we first checked in, you'd pull up and no one would even come out to the car! You'd have to go wandering around the lobby looking for a valet... It was pretty much the most disorganized valet service I've ever seen. Worse, we witnessed one valet guy peel out in a white Mercedes-Benz at 60 mph (there was a tire squeal and everything) as soon as the car's unsuspecting owner dropped his keys and headed into the hotel. It was so ridiculous, we had to laugh—like something out of a movie! Oh, and did I also mention that every time we picked up our car, it reeked of Cool Water cologne? Worst. Valet. Ever.

Room Tip: Ask to be as far away from the street as possible — top floor, preferably. And don't use the valet!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gadfly123
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Certainly an interesting place and good location for historic area. Staff is young, friendly and trying hard and well to please; although some of the planned "easy informality" can be a bit over the top.

Rooms, however, are small and ours was an upgraded king. In a hotel of this price you would expect at least two chairs in the room...but no, either a desk chair or sit on the bed...or you would expect room to maneuver...but no, a tight slalom course to the very nice, but small, bathroom.

The trying so hard to be arty and chic has mostly hits, but some real misses as well. Not sure why I need tired avant-garde quotes plastered to my closet wall! But, the lit hanging tea pots next to the elevator were fun.

Also, the room safe, positioned high in closet if you are under 5'5" (as in my wife) is essentially useless unless you want to teeter on the desk chair.

Parking at $40 seems a bit much, although we did not experience the valet wait others note in their reviews.

So, interesting place, some real strengths, but not a top place to consider returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My flight back home was cancelled so I had to find a place to stay in Philadelphia. My first choice is always to find a Kimpton Hotel in the area, if available! Luckily I was able to find a room that night and it met all my expectations-great location and close to the airport! Literally you cross the street and Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell are right there...my kids loved it!!! It made us 'forget' about our flight cancellation and allowed us to thoroughly enjoy our 'extra' night in Philadelphia! Thanks Kimpton!!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family