“Great accomodations”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
McLean, Virginia
“Great accomodations”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

My family stayed here overnight for the Army-Navy football game. I love Kimpton hotels in general for their service, unique decor, atmosphere and commitment to sustainability. This Monaco was relatively new when we stayed here, and it was on par with every Kimpton I've visited. Normally I am by myself on business travel, but this was a family trip. My teenage son loved the hotel, and thought that it was very cool to be able to have the pet fish for the night. The location of this hotel is particularly great if you plan to visit the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall - which we did the morning after the game before we checked out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (773)
  • Turkish first
Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I have stayed in Kimptons in several cities - D.C., Dallas, Chicago, etc. I have also stayed at the Palomar in Rittenhouse Square. This new location in Old City may just be my favorite yet!

Everything, from the room comfort, to the décor, to the location, to the friendliness of the staff was amazing. The front desk staff upgraded me to a King Spa room when they learned I was traveling solo for business on my birthday and they also extended me a delayed check out. Staff very helpful and courteous when it came to asking for dining recommendations and just being friendly with a 'hello' when you passed by. The room was so comfortable...I think I could live in it - so roomy and very 'homey'. As is standard in the Kimpton hotels, a goldfish 'buddy' can be brought to your room upon request. This hotel is very close to many restaurants and attractions in the Old City area - it doesn't get much more central to that area than this.

I had breakfast in the Red Owl Tavern - everything was good and the service was efficient. As always, the wine-tasting in the living room each evening is a welcome dose of relaxation after a busy day of traveling and meetings. I checked out the rooftop lounge briefly, but it was quite crowded. I didn't linger since I don't think I would have been comfortable there on my own - I heard there had been a private event earlier in the evening, so maybe some of that crowd lingered on. I was hoping for a quiet place to have a glass of wine on a Wednesday night....but it was not to be.

Was my short stay perfect? No - but my gripes are only minor, and to be fair, I am starting to think I hold the Kimpton brand to a higher standard than I would if I were staying at another popular chain hotel. My room key didn't work at noon my last day, despite my approved late checkout. I had stored my bags with the front desk after I checked out so I could grab lunch....and it seemed a bit hassled/disorganized to retrieve them - maybe they were short-staffed? Also, when I left the lobby, there was no bellman...so there I was juggling my bags trying to get out the door to find a taxi to the airport. I found that almost ironic, as there was always a friendly face (sometimes two!) to hold the door for me every other time I came and went (when I was hands free!).

Would I return? Absolutely. I am already hoping that my next trip to Philly, whether it be business or pleasure, comes up very soon.

Metro Washington DC
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed overnight for a business meeting. The location is great, and the décor is very different from typical hotels. In the lobby, there is a gorgeous sailboat chandelier -- I have never seen anything like it. The room was very nice with beautiful furniture and an atypical color scheme. For a downtown hotel, I was surprised to find a nice sized bathroom. The shampoo, conditioner, and body wash came in good sized tubes that were easy to squeeze, unlike the tiny hard bottles that so many hotels use. The only thing I didn't like was the shower door, which is one of those partial glass frames with no door. I tried to keep the water in the shower, but the floor still ended up getting wet.

My last stay in Philadelphia was in a hotel with so much outside noise that I couldn't sleep. This hotel was nice and quiet. The clock radio holds an iPod, which was perfect for holding my regular phone that I use as an alarm clock. I definitely would stay here again.

1 Thank dreamit55
arizona
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is a great hotel. Excellent service, fabulous location, reasonably priced (for the area) and interesting decor. I must have gotten a newly renovated room because everything in the room is sparkling clean (I love that in a hotel). The decor is bright and eclectic...I wouldn't chose to decorate my home this way but it's kind of fun to live in for a day.

Pros: Great location (across the street from the liberty bell), excellent customer service, reasonably priced, close to some great restaurants, clean and comfy beds. Free wifi for Kimpton members.

Cons: Valet parking was $40 for 24 hours (ouch!).

Bottom line: If you're touring downtown Phili, this hotel is a great choice. I totally recommend it!

Room Tip: Sign up for Kimpton rewards and you'll get wifi for free.
1 Thank tgdow
Santa Monica
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Great location and beautiful hotel in an old building across the street from Independence Hall. Walking distance from South Street (and Jim's Steaks) and all historic attractions. Also near subway and buses. Incredibly accommodating staff, no problem getting connecting rooms with our kids. Brand new and fun, great Kimpton Hollywood Regency style. Great beds. Nice wine tastings every afternoon, coffee in the morning in the lobby (no coffee maker in rooms). Really good restaurant, Red Owl Tavern, with a great happy hour and bar, and full of locals.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paula_GSantaMonica
East Lansing, Michigan
Reviewed April 15, 2013

What a surprise. A boutique type with vey eclectic interior design. Happy Hour wine bar in lobby. Loved the location across from historic sites of Philly. the Stratus on top of hotel was very cool. the staff was very nice and helpful. the restaurant was excellent with a urban feast kind of menu.

2 Thank capmac42154
AZ
Reviewed April 15, 2013

I'm generally a Kimpton fan, with some noticeable exceptions (NY, for example) and this is a great member of the brand. Great location, very nicely appointed small rooms, free wifi for Kimpton members. This one has a very welcoming staff and a terrific cafe attached (and there are literally hundreds of great restaurants within walking distance.)
My only quibble was that I could not get hot water at night, which is often a problem in hotels, which turn off the boiler in the evening, completely eliminating that nice hot bath or shower at the end of a long day.

Room Tip: I got a corner room with nice views but it was quite tiny.
2 Thank BuffCrone