“Comfortable and stylish hotel near Liberty Bell”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel was a treat - lovely reception, stylish room, large comfortable bed, lots of cool little extras, good wifi. Great location very close to the Liberty Bell, historic areas, cinema, and some excellent restaurants, though note if you're in town for more modern entertainment, you might do better to be nearer Rittenhouse Square, a 20ish minute walk from here. But essentially, the hotel is very good.

Only disappointments: (1) they supplied little shampoos etc as you'd expect, but didn't renew them, so by day 2 we'd run out. (2) there was thumping music audible throughout the entire night, possibly from the hotel bar below (I woke at 1, 3, and 5 and heard it every time) which disturbed my sleep. After the first night, I complained, and the reception staff member apologized and said he was mystified and would send someone up to try to fix the problem. I asked if I could move room (room 201) and was told the only other room available was next to the loud rooftop bar which would be worse (10th floor), so we just tolerated it for the second night, which was the same. What annoyed me was that the next day I happened to overhear another couple voicing exactly the same complaint to the same member of staff, who again acted mystified, as though he had no idea this was a problem though clearly he knew as we'd just had the same conversation. Claiming ignorance seems a strange hotel policy for dealing with what is clearly a recurrent problem for a hotel of this calibre. But it's something to be aware of if your room's on the second floor.

Room Tip: Avoid the 2nd floor and 10th floor as music from the hotel bars seems to play throughout the night.
1  Thank ms_scotsgirl
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Dear Ms_Scotsgirl,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. Happy to hear that overall your visit was a positive one. I did want to let you know that I appreciate the feedback as it relates to the mystified team member when hearing about the noise as it’s the only way we can become better. I will be sure to follow up with team to prevent this from happening in the future.

Thank you again for the feedback.

Best Regards,
Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,771)

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My husband and I recently attended the Philadelphia Flower Show and decided to stay at the Hotel Monaco. We've stayed at other Kimpton properties and this one did not dissappoint! The hotel is in a great part of town for visiting all the historical sites and not a bad walk to the convention center for the show, or you can catch the bus, which is easy. We were welcomed warmly at the door of the hotel and also at check-in. Super customer service! The hotel is beautiful - LOVED the crystal chandelier that is shaped like a sailing ship with little anchors and seahorses hanging from it - such a lovely foyer. The lobby of the hotel has 2 glass containers with flavored waters - one citrus and one with berries - both were very refreshing. The wine hour was fun - like a party! Such a nice touch that other hotels do not have. A safety feature that I haven't seen at other hotels is the room key - after 10 pm, you must use it in the elevator in order to get to your floor - same card gets you in your room - just wave it in front of the lock. Our room was large, decorated well, and very clean. The bed was comfortable and we slept very well. There were several negatives - but none that would keep me from staying there again, but I'll list them in case someone would be interested:
1. The lighting in the room was very low - I suppose it was "green", but it made reading very difficult.
2. The lock box in the closet is so high that it was difficult to reach. I'm 5'5" and my husband is 5'7" and neither of us were tall enough to see in the box - had to get a rolling chair (not too safe) to stand on when we left to be sure we had gotten everything out of it.
3. The shower is a walk in, which is great - very attractive - but you have to get inside in order to turn on the water, which makes for a very cold jolt before you can jump out of the way - water also gets all over the floor as there is no door to the shower.
As I said, we loved the hotel and hope to stay there again on our next trip to Philadelphia!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the back of the hotel - very quiet - but we only had one small window so the room wa...

Dear StormNik,

Happy to see that you enjoyed your stay at another Kimpton Hotel! Thank you for all the kind comments about the team and the experience. I am very interested in the concerns you mentioned and will be sure to address accordingly.

Thank you again and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

The service on Check-In was great, and we received a number of great suggestions for dining, etc. The room was beautiful and quiet, the bed comfy, and the mini- bar stocked with great stuff.
We took a peek at the gorgeous rooftop bar and look forward to spending time there on our next visit. There were plenty of staff at the reception desk for the busy Sunday morning check-out, which was impressive.

• Stayed: March 2013
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Dear Wendelfarb,

Thank you so much for staying us and for taking the time to write about your stay. I am thrilled to see you had a great experience with us and got to enjoy Stratus!

We can’t wait for you to come back either!!

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We tend to like Kimptons and were excited to stay at this new property. From the moment we pulled our car up to the front door, everyone from the parking valet to the front desk attendant to the security at the rooftop bar was wonderful - everyone!

The whole staff seemed engaged in making sure we had a comfortable stay. The parking valet was super welcoming and knew about the parking discount for hybrid vehicles (although we learned at checkout this didn't get communicated to the front desk - however it was easily rectified and included an apology). The front desk made sure we were aware about the Kimpton features. The doormen were always enthusiastic and took great efforts to quickly secure cabs when needed.

Even security went out of their way - on our first night we were meeting friends up on their rooftop bar and upon arriving up there must have looked a bit dismayed at the big crowd. A security staff came up to us to suggest we visit one of the other rooms on the roof, and recommended his "favorite" - we had to walk outside on the roof and would never have known about it had he not pointed it out. We're really glad he suggested it as it was a great little modern library-like room with candles and various seating areas. Since it was so nice and quiet, the four of us decided to splurge and order a nice bottle of champagne. We got great service, with the waitress checking on us from time to time.

Like many Kimptons, this is a renovated old building furnished with Kimpton's own sort of modern/vintage style. We were plenty comfy, with a good bed and enough storage for two people. The bathroom was beautiful with lots of marble, and had a big counter and shelf. Housekeeping kept the room very clean. The only complaint we have is the shower was one of those walk-in setups where there is a partial wall of glass to protect the room from the shower spray. That worked OK if you stood in the right spot, but if you moved to the "wrong spot" in the large shower stall (as I did to have to shave my legs), you ended up causing water to pool on the floor. We see this as a design flaw.

All in all, we will definitely look into booking this hotel again when in Philly and hope that it will maintain its wonderful level of service.

Thanks Anne C!!!

I am so happy to see you had such a wonderful experience with us. I can honestly say that the team here is one of the best I have ever had the pleasure to work for. They truly get it and are genuine in each and every interaction. I will be sure to share your review with the team so they can see how their hard work pays off!!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Best,

Reviewed March 10, 2013

We live in the Philadelphia area and decided to stay downtown for the night. This hotel is in a great location for tourists who want to visit the historical sites. Our room itself was very clean and quiet. The staff was very friendly and there were plenty of staff members to answer questions. The rooftop bar has a great atmosphere and would be a good meeting place for a small group. We will definitely look into staying there again.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Gail_m_k!

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! We are very lucky to have such a beautiful building and even better team!

Thanks again for the great comments.

See you again soon.

Director of Luckiest Hotel Manager in the City

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Had a fabulous stay here with my husband and 2 kids for flower show and sightseeing. Uber hip, clean and comfortable. The staff was kind and enthusiastic with the kids and promptly called us post check-out to say we'd left our ipad behind - so grateful. The Red Owl serves a fantastic brunch - try the homemade donuts.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thanks HobWilcofan!!

That’s great to see you had such a fabulous time! That was very proactive of the team to call you when you checked out about the missing item, I love reading stories like this.

I also love those homemade donuts; Chef Guillermo Tellez is a genius!

Come see us again soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2013

Today we went to the PHS Flower Show in Philadelphia. Lots of great exhibits, Subaru being one and the English theme was great. No matter. We are staying at the Kimpton Monaco on Chestnut Street. It is directly adjacent to Independence Mall over looking the liberty bell. We were greeted happily by the doorman who helped us with our car and the bellman who was great in taking our bags and getting us to reception. Check you the crystal chandelier as you enter the lobby it is in the shape of an old sailer frigate....unique to say the least. Though early the clerks checked us in no problem and helped us get our bearings by map to the show. The bellman helped us to our room showing us how to use the elevators and door key and offered to shows any of the workings of the room.

OK so now I am annoyed.....I've read some comments on TA and YXlp re staff.....let me tell you it's BS from my perspective. These people are friendly,helpful, cheerful, courteous, professional, etc., etc. basically they went out of their way to be nice to us. I think the hotel might have some trolls lurking on the popular rating sites or maybe someone in the hotel was just havin a bad day...but I did not see it. And I know what bad service is. What do these folks expect? Downton Abbey?

The room was reasonably sized...very comfortable for two for a few days. Decor, different....federal blue wall paper with white large geometric chained print. The pattern was carried over to the drapes. The main wall facing the bed had a large black and white print of a flute playing woman and a large peacock. Furnishings were Asian, modern roman, leather, maybe neoclassic but certainly eclectic. Lighting was ample, bed a comfortable king. Tv worked. Two lights were out, the outlet appeared to have no juice. Bath had a large standup shower...exactly what I like good water pressure and plenty of hot water. Rooms were comfortably heated...you control the thermostat. Carpet was clean. Different vibe from the Palomar another Kimpton in Philly.

No Wifi and it is an addon which is kind of a bummer.
Wine bar in the evening and coffee bar in the am. Wines were acceptable for freebies.

We very much enjoyed our stay. And I'd return here in heartbeat.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thanks Mdannap!!

I am so happy to see you had such a great time with us! I couldn’t agree more with you regarding the team here, they truly are the friendliest, helpful, cheerful, courteous, and professional I have ever had the pleasure to work for.

We can’t wait to welcome you back in a heartbeat!!

Director of the Best Team in Philly