“Awesome visit to Philly!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #5 of 86 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Awesome visit to Philly!”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I went on a last minute trip to Philly with my SO and we decided to stay at the Hotel Monaco which did not disappoint. The decision to stay here was not based on the location, although the Liberty Bell is literally across the street and everything historical is in close proximity, but based rather on the price the the fact that I've stayed at other Kimpton Hotels. I really enjoy the Kimpton experience and would much rather stay at a hotel that truly cares about not only the guest but the decor. I love the tasteful decisions in every detail of the hotel; it makes me feel like I'm staying somewhere special and unique rather than somewhere bland and cookie cutter.

Like I mentioned earlier, the location cannot be beat if you're looking to be near the historical attractions of Philly. We mostly walked to everything we visited, even the nearby restaurants.

The hotel staff was lovely and the only hiccup we had was an early morning false fire alarm the day we were leaving. They got it sorted out quickly but definitely woke us up earlier than we wanted. Speaking of sleep, I think the beds here are better than the W Hotel Heavenly beds and that says a lot since the W beds are amazing as well.

Would not hesitate to recommend someone to stay here or even stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (781)
  • Turkish first
Altoona, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My colleagues and I stayed at the Monaco for the first time this week and we all absolutely loved it! Upon arrival, we were met by Tee and Rocco, who unloaded our luggage and got it delivered to our rooms quickly. Check in was a breeze, as Intouch members, we were given a handwritten note welcoming us, $10 mini-bar credit, and enjoyed the wine reception in the living room. The decor is FABULOUS! It's unlike any other hotel I've ever stayed in. The crystal ship chandelier in the foyer is gorgeous. Art Deco is alive @ The Hotel Monaco! Beds were comfy and my Parkview room was very relaxing. The doorman, Tee, actually walked us down the street to a great place to eat, made sure we were on the list for a table, and seated at the bar for the wait. I've stayed in at least a dozen of Philadelphia's hotels and was never treated so well. We already know where we're staying at for our next trip! Thanks to Tee and the staff, our trip was a success!

Room Tip: Rooms designated as Park View really do offer a great scene to watch over while in your room. I sta...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 27, 2013

My wife and I decided to spend a night at the Monaco to celebrate our 6th anniversary. We stayed in a King Spa room, and really had a nice experience. We were greeted warmly with a congratulations after we let them know when we booked our reservation. Because we signed up to be Kimpton members, we got $10 in credit for the mini-bar. That was enough for a beer and soda. The walk-in shower and soaker tub were both luxurious. We enjoyed the happy hour in the lobby in the early evening, at which the staff were both helpful and again greeted us personally. The bed was very comfortable and I slept remarkably well. My wife would have appreciated a non-down pillow however, which was not available in the room. We ordered in-room breakfast which was delicious, and it was no problem adding a new item in the morning. The gentleman who answered the phone was very professional and helpful with that matter. The Sunday New York Times was an unexpected added bonus at our doorstep in the morning. Overall, we had a great time, and would definitely recommend the hotel for business or pleasure. The only other quabble was we could hear the neighbors come back to their room pretty late while they played music and laughed, but what else can you expect in a downtown metropolitan hotel on the weekend?

New Jersey
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We managed to get a great rate on this hotel through a "winter getaway" deal. We payed much less than other hotels we've been in but enjoyed our stay ten times more. We loved the uniqueness and decor of the hotel, there's nothing "cookie cutter" about it and by signing up for Kimpton rewards you get to raid the mini fridge for $10 (hey every bit counts) and access to free WiFi. Score! It's also in a great location and easy walking distance to many attractions. Staff were all very friendly, helpful, and welcoming. Would love to come back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Hey Patty B!

You are welcome to come back anytime! That’s great to read that you enjoyed your visit with us, I appreciate all the wonderful comments.

See you soon.

New York City, New York
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Monaco to attend my son's wedding weekend. We had a totally positive experience. The rooms are wonderfully whimsical in decor and the service from staff impeccable.
We loved how accommodating everyone was and made us feel as if we were guests in a friend's home.

I would highly recommend the Monaco to anyone staying in the heart of Philadelphia and, when the occasion arises, I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for room with larger window.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Barbara R!

Happy to hear you had a great time during your son’s wedding weekend, and congrats to you and the family!

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Oakland Park, Florida
Reviewed February 27, 2013

The hotel, the physical space is wonderful, they did a great job using an old building and making it work..... but as far as the service goes and the employees..... really, some of the rudes hotel staff I have ever encountered.... and the staff in the Red Owl Tavern...... was just horrible.... plus the food for brunch was very bad, but then you know what they say about hotel resturants..... don't think I will go back there any time soon, and will tell other about how bad the service was..... it is a shame, but then Kimpton Hotel's have another property in Philadelphia, and the service there is just as bad..... REALLY

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank FrankDaloisio
Dear Frank,

It is really unfortunate to read your review about the hotel. Would you mind contacting me directly so we can discuss. I checked our records and dont see a past reservation with your name, is it possible it was under a different name? You can contact me at 267-386-9462.

Parsonsfield
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had planned a long birthday weekend stay months in advance with a special Kimpton In Touch rate for my partner. We had no idea we would be fleeing from the biggest snowstorm of the year as we live in Maine. We arrived in Philadelphia just past the snow/rain line in NJ and were welcomed with open arms to the Monaco Philadelphia early on a Friday afternoon. Upon check in we were informed of our complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom corner suite overlooking Independence Park and the Liberty Bell. Since I am originally from the Philadelphia area, the Bell is no big deal, but the suite we were in was the best room we have ever stayed in. There was a huge living room with four large windows, a large white sectional sofa, desk, great flat panel TV, and other graphically beautiful furnishings. Whimsy abounds in every nook and corner of the Monaco. The bedroom had a King bed with another TV. The bathroom had a huge soaking tub with open concept shower and really nice toiletries from Etro. Over the three days that we stayed at the Monaco. we did have a few missteps, including one day we had been out all day to return to our room that had not been made up. A quick call to the front desk and the room was immediately taken care of along with a bottle of wine and some snacks. Thank you, Hotel Monaco. We were treated with great service from all employees we encountered. Everyone was pleasant without being overbearing. The decor of the hotel may not be everyone's cup of tea. I find it refreshing when everywhere I look, I see something fresh and new that makes me smile. I really can't say enough about the rooms at the Monaco. We felt so lucky to have gotten our upgrade and I thank everyone who helped to make our weekend in snow-free Philadelphia, a weekend we will remember for quite some time. As to the parking situation, we parked in the public parking lot underneath Independence Park right across the street from the hotel for $18.00 a day.

Room Tip: ask for a corner room, they have tons of natural light...
1 Thank robertwcook
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello Robertwcook,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your visit. I am happy to hear your experience was wonderful!

We hope to see you again soon.