“A hotel with lots of style!”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Hotel Monaco was perfect in every way. The location in Philly, the staff, the service, the decor, the spotless room, and more. The staff was very attentive and friendly at every interaction, especially during check-in and check-out. The employees are very happy and their personalities show through.. it seems as though they are very well taken care of by management and by Kimpton. The decor in the lobby and the rooms is modern chic and extremely stylish. The beds and pillows are so comfortable, you just sink into them. As a Kimpton in-touch member, we got free Wifi, which is nice, but also a complimentary upgrade to a corner suite with a great view of Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell, which is what I prefer in a hotel room! We had a drink to the end our evening at the bar of the Red Owl Tavern. The bartenders there were friendly and engaging. We really enjoyed ourselves. I would recommend this hotel to anyone going to Philadelphia. Beautiful boutique hotel with great value!

Room Tip: If you are a Kimpton in-touch member, you can express your preferences in a hotel room which they wi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Thanks Tarajbrinker!!!

So happy to see you had a wonderful trip with us! Thank you for sharing your experience with all to see.

Hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We booked a regular king room at the Monaco for a one night's stay. Upon arrival I noticed the unusual, beautiful European decor. However, when we walked inside there was no one directing the guests where to go to check-in as the lobby is hidden in a room to the right. We were asked to wait so they could check if our room was ready and it wasn't. This was unsettling as it was after 5:00 and check-in was at 3. Because the hotel staff was still in the room when we went upstairs we were able to get in, but our key didn't work.
The room was small compared to other king bed rooms in nearby hotels - but I was expecting this as the hotel website does give the dimensions of the room. The bathroom has a European style shower (only a half door-water all splatting all over and no tub). This would've been ok, had it been more clearly stated in the room description. The bathroom door was also a sliding pocket door and was literally 2 feet from the bed. The decor was a change from other traditional hotels and included vibrant colors and unusual light fixtures (although turning the lights on and off was a little annoying while trying to figure out where the many switches were). The floor and bedding was also all covered in down feathers.

In the room description it said that coffee was available in the room. The room had no coffee maker and I was told that I had to request one. I requested one and about 10 min later housekeeping came with 2 Keurig K-cups. I thanked him but said that I didn't have a coffee maker in which to use the cups. He looked at me puzzled then asked if I wanted the coffee maker brought up, to which I responded yes. 10 min. later he arrives with the coffee maker (complete with someone else's used k-cup).

There was coffee available in the lobby the next morning as well, so I didn't even end up using the coffee maker.

The location was great for visiting the Liberty Bell and nearby attractions, however there are other hotels in the same area.

If you like to try new things go for a bigger room here. If you are satisfied with the classic hotel feel, skip this one.

Dear BrittanyBR,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit. I am sorry to see that you had a less than satisfactory experience. I would like the opportunity to discuss your stay with us, if you would be so kind to contact me at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com or 267-386-9462, it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family was very excited to stay at out first Kimpton Hotel. The Monaco Philadelphia is in an amazing location for sightseeing and is super stylish and trendy. BUT- there were so many areas where it could have been better. Upon check-in our e-standby request for an upgrade could not be honored. We said the secret word and my daughter pulled a free upgrade card from the bag of surprises- unfortunately- they couldn't honor it since they were so full. So, she pulled free continental breakfast for two which was great. I had booked our rate under a two drinks per night rate, but they forgot to give us the drink coupons and we had to make a trip to get them from the front desk. No goldfish, no kids robes in the room- despite the fact that "Kimpton loves Kids". Rooms were beautifully styled but seemed a bit smaller than advertised and the view- MAKE SURE YOU OPT FOR THE PARK VIEW UPGRADE. Otherwise you will enjoy a lovely view of an interior airshaft with huge ventilation pipes and strange neon lights at night. We stuck our stuffed animals on the widowsill looking out as a joke. Housekeeping was good.
Other things of note for families- The room key was supposed to activate the elevators as a security measure- but the elevators worked without them all day Sunday and Monday. The Bathroom door does not have a lock- so be prepared for that, and the perforated shade in the bathroom window is not exactly the most private- especially at night with the light on. There is no public space in the hotel at all for kids- so you will go straight up to your room for the evening. They should carve out a tiny corner of the lobby for families or dedicate some other space in the hotel for kids/families- they are right in across the street from the bell and Independence Hall- you are going to have families stay there- not just trendy singles and business travelers. The wine hour is very nice I am sure- but good luck walking in to the lobby for an adult beverage with your 10 year old in tow- talk about not rolling out the welcome mat. The Red Owl Tavern food was very good, bar drinks were excellent. Service was friendly but spacey- items were sent with the wrong accompaniments and the water glasses on two occasions at our table had lipstick stains on them. At breakfast, juice is $5 for a 6 oz glass, so my family spent $25 dollars for 5 glasses of OJ. They really need to adjust that- it's outrageous that juice can cost more than some of their food choices on the menu.
I would stay here again- its beautiful and in a great spot- but not with my kids.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Moochiebella,

Thank you for staying with us at the Hotel Monaco on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love. I am terribly sorry to hear that you found our hotel to not be welcoming to children. I will be sure to follow up with the team to ensure experiences such as yours are not replicated, and that all kids feel the love.

I greatly appreciate the feedback and hope we have the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Beautiful, contemporary hotel in an amazing location! Stayed in the king spa room, bathroom was amazing! Shower and tub are absolutely wonderful. Although the "view of the liberty bell" is extremely overrated. (Felt a little misled to be honest...but that bathroom could have faced a wall and I would have still
Loved it)
Room was not ready upon checking in and we were told to wait in the living room, without nothing at all to do. A suggestion of how to pass the time would have been considerate considering it took an hour and a half.
Doorman was wonderful as well as the bartender at stratus rooftop Lounge.
My main issue with my trip and reason I doubt I will stay kimpton again is I booked the trip 3 months in advance. I was offered by the kimpton employee I booked with an opportunity to save 20% if I paid in advance and agreed to the no-refund policy. My problem is by the time my trip came around the room was significantly cheaper then when I booked it, as a regular rate not thee pre-pay special deal. When I called to inquire I was given the runaround between the main contact center and the hotel front desk, both telling me only the other could accommodate me. Well outcome was nether could accommodate me. How is it I pre-paid my trip in full, left Long Island under 20" of snow because the trip was no-refundable. YET, still paid more then if I would have not pre-paid. Seems unfair to me.
Valet parking is $40/night which is extremely expensive to me, for service which takes 20-30 to get your car. Plus not mentioned when I booked. Such a large charge should be made known to customers before booking.

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear PAF-NY,

I am happy to see that overall you enjoyed your visit with us. However, I did want to apologize about the challenges you encountered regarding the pre paid booking and parking.

If you would be so kind to contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com or 267-386-9462 it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We chose this location for a get-away weekend and it was a really fun change of scenery in the dead of winter. The hotel decor is creative, eclectic, interesting, and imaginatively coordinated. All of our interactions with staff were cordial and helpful from Bell Staff to Front Desk to Room Service to Housekeeping. We did not experience the parking issues cited by "clevercrayon", even taking the car in/out during our stay. There is a public parking garage a block away if one prefers. The vibe is young and ok, trendy, but very cordial. The renovation to the 1906 office building is top notch and the location makes it ideal for walking historical Washington Square. Close to many great restaurants. Don't expect many deals or discounts because this is going to remain a popular destination.

Room Tip: Klmpton has post-reservation options to "bid up" to a better room. Unfortunately we were n...

Thank you Mother19348!!!

I am so happy to see you had such an enjoyable time with us! I greatly appreciate all the wonderful comments.

Come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

I've stayed at the Hotel Monaco Philadelphia twice on business and absolutely love it. This is probably one of my favorite hotels anywhere, right now. First of all its all new construction in an old building that was originally a bank. In fact, the old vault is where the Red Owl Tavern stores there wine now. The decor is similar to all the Klimpton hotels, classic styling with modern prints. The rooms are good size and the beds are comfortable. I've had park views both times with a great view of Independence Hall (see picture). There is a roof top bar that is very nice and can be closed off to inclement weather. The food at the Red Owl Tavern is excellent too. The chicken pot pie is out of this world.

The staff is excellent. I will always try to stay here when I am in Philadelphia. Love it.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Hey Allan R welcome back!!!

Thank you so much for all the fantastic comments! I am thrilled to see everything went great.

Don’t be a stranger and come see us again soon.

P.S. I love the chicken pot pie too!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

i flew in to philly for the first time and couldnt of had a better time. there is not hotel in philly with a better location. right across the street from independence hall and the liberty bell. the staff was the best i have ever had. bar none the best service i ever got. the restaurants are great and the roof top is a perfect place to unwind and let loose after a long day at work.

Room Tip: ask to either be on the east side so you can see the battleships in the harbor or my favorite the we...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thanks Tech76!

I greatly appreciate all the fantastic comments and happy to see your stay couldn't be better!

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Best,