“Freezing (and frustrated) in Hotel Monaco”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
somewhere, USA
“Freezing (and frustrated) in Hotel Monaco”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2013

Freezing:
I'll begin this review by telling you, i'm in my room wearing three heavy wool sweaters and under the down comforter. Why? The heating in our room has not been working since we checked in last night, mind you it is 18 degrees outside.

Exhausted with a late night arrival, we simply turned off the fan since it was blowing cold air despite being set at 80 degrees. This morning, first thing we called guest services regarding the heat. After breakfast, I returned to the room only to find a message from engineering describing my problem as "Room too Hot, Heating too Hot" and a checkmark next to "I've resolved your problem". I've made my second phone call to guest services, and have been waiting >20 minutes now... even stepped into the hallway for warmth.

Frustrated:
We are here for a very important matter, for a residency interview at Einstein Medical Center (we are both physicians). We called the valet promptly at 7:35, allowing the suggested 20 minutes for our car to be brought around. 55 minutes later, we were still waiting for our car- and suffice it to say, he arrived late for the interview.

Those are my two biggest gripes.

Other inefficiencies, when we checked in last night they were unable to retrieve our reservation (made via 3rd party)- apparently ours was not the only reservation that "didn't come thru". Furthermore, after trying to swipe my credit card at two different computers- the third computer was successful. We were comp'd two glasses of wine (we don't drink alcohol).

It is our first time staying at a Kimpton Hotel, and must admit despite the fantastic location and clever decor- we are disappointed. Heating is a non-negotiable, especially in the dead of winter. And waiting nearly an hour for the valet to pull up the car, and subsequently arriving late to an interview- completely unacceptable.

We were considering staying an extra night, perhaps we will find alternative accommodations. Here's to hoping the rest of our stay goes more smoothly.

*Addendum*
Engineering "is not sure" the heater has been fixed. They offered a space-heater. Really? A space-heater? Ridiculous. What happened to hotel standards?

1 Thank DrSuzanneGr
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear DrSuzanneGr,

I am extremely sorry to read about your experience at our hotel. Would you be so kind to contact me so we can talk directly? I can be reached at 267-386-9462 or at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com, it would be greatly appreciated.

Again my deepest apologies.

Best Regards,
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (762)
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

As an In-Touch member who tends to stay mostly in veteran Kimpton properties, it was a delight to experience a fresh new Kimpton. The Monaco is beautifully done. How does a designer know in advance that such a swirl of colors will combine to create a room that is simultaneously eye-catching, pretty and warm? (We had a Parkview Queen Queen.)

Compliments to all the staff for their helpful, personable approach, which confirms the Kimpton culture is already in evidence. And thanks for having the little extras, like an iPhone jack and an extra pair of reading glasses for the menu.

I generally agree with all the folks who stayed there last weekend, as we did, but also encourage visitors to stop by the pavilions adjacent to Stratus. They were a major reason I pushed the rating from Very Good to Excellent. Very posh. It's just too bad they're not overlooking a pool. Hint hint!

Room Tip: The Parkview category was plenty spacious...and a great view!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank ProfessorK_NewYork
Hello ProfessorK_NewYork,

Well thank you very much for all the wonderful comments. I am excited to see you enjoyed your stay with us!

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Grand Isle, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff is great - all kinds of extras- join the club for even more! They go the extra mile for their guests. My room over looked Independence hall. They provide yoga mats & jogging maps. It was too rainy for a run during my stay- but the workout room was fantastic. You have to go to the rooftop bar - soo cool!!- Good appetizers there too.

Room Tip: One over looking Independence hall.
Thanks Kristen W!

We greatly appreciate the award of coolest hotel ever! We couldn’t do it without a few people, one the coolest staff ever and of course the coolest guests ever!!

Sounds like a perfect recipe.

Come back soon.

VP of All Things Cool
Needham, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have never stayed at a Kimpton hotel before this weekend, but my travelling experience has now been changed forever. The decor and design of the hotel is so unique and lavish while being fresh and young. The staff is so so helpful and accommodating. Our room was beautiful and clean. The wine hour from 5-6 is perfect and example of the high attention to customer care that this hotel specializes in. I also love that dogs are allowed to stay as well, it was fun seeing pups in the lobby. The location of the hotel could not be better. You have access to all of the historical sights close by, an easy walk to South Philly and the night life of Old City is right at your fingertips- whatever type of night you are looking for. Unforgettable stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mdlnzppl,

Thank you for such a fantastic review! I am very happy to see that you had an unforgettable experience!

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for the Army vs navy weekend. Loved the hotel and the hospitality. They did lose my car for a bit in the valet garage and I had to take a taxi to the game. They did comp the parking for the night. The Concierge was amazing and set us up with some great meal reservations at some fabulous restaurants in the area that came with special comps. Really enjoyed the stay. Having our pet goldfish delivered really set off a lot of fun and laughter. I would stay again if I get the chance.

Room Tip: You'll have a great time at the wine reception sitting by the fire in the lobby.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Darla S,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. I am really sorry to hear about the mishap with car, however, happy to see that the team responded quickly and to your satisfaction.

It’s great to hear you will be back, we look forward to it.

Best Regards,

nyc
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

This hotel has done all of the right things. First of all, the location is terrific at 5th and Chestnut near many of the historic sights. Secondly, the decor is lovely and quaint. You walk into a rotunda like area with check in off to the right and the little tavern off to the left. The doormen
and the people at reception where very friendly. My room was furnished beautifully in many colors and was very functional. My only complaint was the view or the lack thereof. I made
a reservation for two rooms and true to form, I (the female) got the no view room while my employee (a male) got the nicer room with a view. This seems to happen no matter what city or country I happen to frequent. Anyway, I would highly recommend this place. Free wine hour at 5PM and lively rooftop bar afterwards!!!

Room Tip: Ask about the view
Hi Maddie 924,

Happy to see you had a great experience and enjoyed Stratus roof top during your stay! I am sorry your employee go the better view, by no means was it intentional. Next time give us a call ask for me, we will make sure he gets the not so great view and you get the fantastic view, or maybe we will make sure you both get great ones! :)

Monroe, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed for Army-Navy Weekend, booked early and got a good rate. 2nd stay at a Kimpton Property and Hotel Monaco truly lives up to the reputation of excellent service. The staff from the door, desk, bar, and cleaning staff really make you feel like an old friend. Can't beat location. Will be staying here when we return.

Tip: Try the Bloody Mary's downstairs! Unique and tasty!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thanks Hammer91b!

Happy to see you had a great time over Army Navy weekend. The staff here is truly an amazing bunch.

Can’t wait to welcome you back.

Best,