“Fantastic hotel with great service”

Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #4 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 8, 2013

What a fun place to stay. The Hotel Monaco was a great experience for me and my boyfriend. The decor was very fun and trendy. The service was amazing...you feel very welcomed and important. Then bellman were quick to provide suggestions of great places to check out. Both the rooftop and restaurant were great, so check them out. Remember to sign up for their rewards program to get free internet and a bar credit. Also there's a nightly happy hour in the hotel lobby...free drinks! The hotel location can't be beat you are right next to the liberty bell and we also were able to hop on a bus tour of the entire city just around the corner from the hotel. My only gripes were the lack of good lighting the room and the shower set up...it was slippery and water came out since it's a contemporary doorless set-up.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2013

Dear Adougla2,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share with others! I am happy to see that overall you had a fantastic time. I did take note of the lighting and the shower, I will be sure to follow up with our engineering team.

Thanks again,

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia

Reviewed January 8, 2013

We have stayed at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria, VA and loved it there. The Hotel Monaco Philadelphia definitely lived up to the reputation. Kimpton Hotels are well known for being pet friendly, and the Monaco couldn't have been more accomodating. From the moment we arrived, every staff member knew our dog's name, and were consistently paying incredible attention to Cooper. They even had the right size bed and dog bowls in the room for him before we arrived. The staff couldn't have been friendlier or more accommodating! They did an exceptional job of meeting any needs we had, and always extending warm greetings to us and our dog Cooper. The rooftop bar was a lot of fun, with a great atmosphere and friendly service staff. The location cannot be beat, right next to Independence Hall and steps from amazing restaurants in Old City. Definitely recommend this hotel to both pet owners and travelers alike. The service and attention cannot be beat! Our dog Cooper loved it just as much as we did thanks to the friendly staff. A must stay in Philly!

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a King Deluxe Room.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks Jesus C!!

We love our 4 legged friends just as much as the 2 legged ones!! Happy to see you guys and cooper had fun.

Can't wait to welcome you all back!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Loved the fabulous interior design, the chandelier upon entry is just gorgeous! The fun Alice in Wonderland furniture and funky items are so enjoyable. This hotel sits adjacent to the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall, our view to the Liberty Bell each day was beautiful and inspiring.

On top of a yet another great experience at a Kimpton Hotel, the client service representatives at the front desk & concierge went above and beyond the call of duty.... I had left behind a travel bag next door at a cafe, which included my brand new iPad. Since the cafe owner wasn't answering the phone, I called Hotel Monaco and Brian (the concierge) assisted me immediately and without hesitation. Very thankful that he could retrieve the bag, and only 40 miles down the road, we had to turn around, but I was easily consoled with a quick return phone call that he had recovered my handbag. What wonderful staff and customer service that is parallel to none! Thank you Brian!!

On top of that, we really enjoyed the rooftop lounge! Quiet, modern, candlelight, full bar.... a very fun and great experience as well.

Room Tip: The view of the Liberty Bell to the West and Independence Hall is beautiful! This also looks to dow...

Thanks Judytravels_12,

WOW what a great story! Brian is truly an asset to this hotel and company. I will be sure to give him a couple high fives and a big thank you!

Thanks for all the wonderful comments.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just stayed one night the past weekend with my sister and a friend and we all enjoyed the hotel! The staff was very helpful and made us feel quite welcome. The room was just a two queen parkview room and it felt cozy and clean and we had no problems at all. I would absolutely stay here again - the decor is a little too much for me and feels bordering on cheesy/tacky since I appreciate "less is more" but other than that it really was perfect! We didn't eat any of the hotels food but we did partake in the wine hour and the wine was not amazing but it was complimentary so I did not judge it too harshly.

The beds were so comfortable and the floor we stayed on (8) was so quiet. We really REALLY liked that!
We went up to the club on the roof and it was a little too much - maybe its because I live in Brooklyn and somehow that makes me more judgemental but it just felt silly and over the top. But, the space is nice and it was clean, and cleanliness is far more important to me than what the crowd is like and what music they play!
We really enjoyed our stay though and I would definitely stay there again - myabe not with my husband because we tend to enjoy something a little smaller and a little more off the beaten path, but for a trip with girlfriends it was kind of perfect!!! :)

Room Tip: We chose a parkside room and it was very quiet!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda F

Dear Amanda F,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience! Happy to see that overall you enjoyed your time with us.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

I love everything about the Kimpton Hotel experience. I've stayed at three separate locations (2 in Philly) and I can't say enough about them. The staff is not only professional, but over-the-top friendly. They will literally bend over backwards to help you.

The quality of service began with the valet and doorman--both friendly and warm (despite brutal temperatures). The bellhop had our bags in hand before we could blink, and was escorting us through the lobby to check in. We were just in time for the hosted wine hour, which was just being set up. The bell hop had us two glasses of wine as soon as the bottles were uncorked.

It was the one year anniversary of our engagement, and upon check-in, the staff member behind the desk handed us two delicious cupcakes. We joked about what a sight we must have been--a glass of wine in one hand, cupcake in the other with our bell hop escort.

Then there was our room, which was pristine and beautiful. We had windows that overlooked Chestnut Street and--you guessed it--Independence Hall. How cool is that?! The decor is sleek and modern with interesting patterns.

Did I mention the bottle of champagne and the chocolate cake? Because it was a special occasion, the hotel had a bottle of champagne on ice and piece of decadent chocolate cake in our room to greet us, as well as a card to welcome us to the hotel and congratulate us on our anniversary.

Anyone can get the big things right (though it's surprising how many get even those wrong!), but it takes a special hotel and an outstanding staff to handle the details. The Hotel Monaco (and the Kimpton Hotel group) gets them right every time.

I wouldn't change a thing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

HELLO!!! WOW what an experience :) Happy belated anniversary, I am sooo happy to hear the team pulled out all the stops for you guys. You are right the team does bend over backwards for our guests. Gymnastics of customer service is a prerequisite.

Come back soon!

Reviewed January 7, 2013

If you get excited about interior design, the luxurious yet unpretentious Hotel Monaco will delight you. Even if the bold colors and the quirky vibe aren't exactly your style, it's hard not to appreciate the attention to detail. From the coffee table books in the lobby which you can flip through as you munch and sip wine during the manager's complimentary wine hour to the quirky bathrobes provided in each room, you really get the sense that they've though of everything.

We stayed in a King Deluxe room, which was cozy and comfortable. Seriously, that bed was so comfortable - I would've tried to steal that comforter if it fit in my suitcase (and if theft wasn't illegal..). I can only complain a little about the shower - it features a glass wall that only covers half the shower, thus allowing the bathmat and your slippers to get a little damp. Put them behind the wall though, and I think you should be fine.

The minibar options are limited and pricey (as to be expected). If you're craving a snack or drink, there's a convenience store on Market between 2nd and 3rd St.

The staff is friendly and accommodating - no complaints! Overall, we had a great stay and would definitely return.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean F, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Hi Julie H!

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your visit. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your trip!

Hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed January 7, 2013

What can I say about the Hotel Monaco...I truly have to say it was one of the BEST hotel experiences to date! I have traveled many places and stayed in many hotels and resorts for business and pleasure and I have NEVER been treated so well, I felt like an old family friend instead of a new guest! The staff is Amazing starting with the greeting you receive curbside by the amazing Sean, onto the front desk where Leah couldn't have treated us anymore like old friends from the minute we met, then onto Matthew who brought us to our room got us all set up and even found out if my favorite pizza place was open due to a fire a few weeks prior. The room felt like I was at home it was so inviting and eclectic there was not one thing I would change about it! Wine hour was such a nice touch mingling with other guests and just letting loose a little bit! The restaurant is also a GEM! I truly can not wait to go back for another stay, this can easily become my home away from away, my weekend escape!! THUMBS UP all the way!! Kudos to the Management!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are beautiful!!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you Melissa1967!!

Wow what a wonderful review!! I am thrilled to read about your experience and the interactions you had with the team. I will be sure to personally thank Sean, Leah, and Matt for doing an outstanding job.

Come back home we already miss you!

Hotel Manager