“Pretty. Darn nice...” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia
Ranked #3 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Pretty. Darn nice...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

My second stay here; previously visited about a week after opening. As a longtime Kimpton Inner Circle member, I was familiar with and looking forward to seeing how the Monaco met the IC "experience". I was pleased with almost everything....the welcome "home" was warm and friendly, wine hour was well attended and appreciated, the rooms were over-the-top awesome, all staff members went out of their way to be helpful. The bed was SO comfortable...and the bathtub in the shower has to be seen to be believed! The Kimpton hotel experience met all expectations...and all staff were exceptionally trained and prepared to assist.

The adaptive reuse of an old office building is amazing. The use of high end materials, finishes, hardware, furniture is unbelievable. I spent wine hour in the "living room" just checking out the myriad of decorating details....oversized armoires, paint brush(s) backdrop to check-in desks, the cool assembly of varied seating...all wonderful just to stare at! Same with the rooms; large patterned carpet, yellow doors, red lacquered drawers, poodle lamp, other oversized lamps, sweatshirt robe....all eclectic and stand alone, yet pulls together to approach sensory delight!

The only drawback was room service...on both stays, room delivery was slow and orders incomplete. A call to the front desk helped resolve issues, and on one occasion the meal was comped....but it is apparent there is a learning curve that needs to be completed. I certainly plan on coming back...and I know the Red Owl tavern will figure it out....so I look forward to the "best-in-class" Kimpton experience!

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Dear MarkDonaldson,

Thank you for the personal email and the wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear about how great your experience with us and Kimpton has been. I personally commit to ensure we improve the In Room Dining experience. Thank you again for the kind words and the feedback.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Cheers,

Sean Flanigan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (754)
  • Turkish first
NYC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I generally only write reviews if I have something positive to say, but Hotel Monaco provided poor service that went beyond my actual stay at the hotel.

I had heard good things about Kimpton Hotels, so I decided to try a special offer on Gilt. I booked a King Deluxe room for a birthday weekend in Philly. I arrived an hour after check-in time, and the person at the check-in desk said, "I do have a room for you, but it's not ready." I certainly assumed that they had a room for me, since I had pre-paid for it a month previously with no option of changing or canceling it. The lobby was full of people waiting for rooms.

It was an hour (two hours after check-in time) when I was given a key. I had brought a good bottle of chilled cava, and I had been looking forward to taking a bath, then having a glass while I waited for my companion to arrive. When I got up to the room, the bags that I had checked in upon arrival were not there. I went downstairs to retrieve them. When I came back up to the room, I tried to put the bottle of wine in the mini-bar fridge, but it was locked. I went back down to the desk, and they asked, "Didn't someone give you a key when you checked in?" No, actually. I went back up to the room with the key.

There was no tub in the bathroom. You can call a room Deluxe, but if it does not have a basic ammenity like a tub, it is not deluxe. I asked if I could please be moved to a room with a bathtub; I said I didn't care as much about the bed size or view. ( I had previously linked my reservation to an account to Kimpton's loyalty program, and that was a preference I had stated.) In addtion, the shower had almost no divider from the floor, and the shower curtain was about a foot shorter than floor length, so the shower would flood the bathroom. The only towel racks were inside the shower. It was pretty poorly designed. I decided to take a nap intead of a shower.

Just as I had settled in, a housekeeper knocked on the door with a request to check the mini-bar. I let her check it. The rest of the evening was nice. The location of the hotel is great -- there were lots of lovely options for restaurants nearby, and the area is charming. The bed was comfortable, and we had a pretty view of the Liberty Bell.

When I checked out, the employee acknowledged that my room was pre-paid and wished me a good day. Today I noticed a charge for $9.44 on my credit card. I called and was told it was for a razor and water from the mini-bar. We did not use a razor, and we drank only our own refreshments. Because the whole mini-bar sitaution was managed inconveniently when I arrived, it was very annoying to have to spend time a week later to sort out false charges. I'm glad I got a good deal on my room, but I doubt I'll stay at a Kimpton again.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank EncantadaNYC
Dear EncantadaNYC,

I am very sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience. Would you be so kind to contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com or call me at 267-386-9462 at your earliest convenience? I would love the opportunity to speak with you about your visit.

Kind Regards,

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

So the Monaco soft opened almost a month and a half ago and had a grand opening shortly after. If I was staying during the first couple weeks, I'd expect there would be some mishaps with getting certain things, but it's really concerning when it's still happening over a month later.

We checked into the hotel around 7PM on Friday. Valet was quick to take my car and we were directed to the check in area. The main entrance area is surrounded by several elevators. I can understand some who say finding the check in lobby is difficult. There are two entrances on either side of the elevator, but perhaps some signage might be nice. Definitely not an issue and now that I know my way around, future visits will be easy. Casey helped checked us in and was very friendly. She introduced the hotel restaurant and bar to us. It was great to hear that if we wanted to visit the Stratus lounge, we could just hop in an elevator and go straight to the top floor without waiting in line. After seeing the line later that evening, this is definitely a welcome benefit. Next time we'll have to actually go grab a drink.

I had booked a corner one-bedroom suite and this is the room we got. We got one of the suites on the top floor, which gave us some amazing views of the area. The room is very large, with plenty of places to sit. The bedroom is not gigantic, but with the large living area that's not a problem at all. The bathroom was large as well with a great bathtub and shower. I can see how people are annoyed with the shower "door" setup, but after being at several hotels with this setup it doesn't bother me at all. It saves space and unless you're spraying water in crazy directions you shouldn't get any spillage your bath mat can't stop. I have to say I love the Etro amenities. I'm glad they're the staple at Kimptons and love walking in to the bathroom smelling them.

I was a bit concerned with noise from the lounge being only separated by one floor. But, I was very pleasantly surprised that we couldn't hear anything. In the bathroom it was possible to hear the bass thumping a bit, but in the rest of the room it was totally silent. Of course there was road noise and such, but if you don't expect that in the city you're crazy. Overall this was a very quiet stay and I really appreciate the sound proofing that must have taken place. Being in a corner far away from the elevator, there also was minimal noise from the corridors.

The decor in the room is what you'd expect from any Monaco. Crazy wallpaper, interesting light fixtures, a giant cream couch and plenty of cool furniture. I'm not sure how good an idea the cream couch is, but we'll see how it keeps after a year or two. Being brand new, everything smelled fresh and was spotless. I would have been shocked to see anything not like brand new already.

Our IC amenities were very good. A great bottle of wine, some proscuitto, melon, grapes and two giant bottles of water. The water really came in handy after a long night. I always love the welcome note and getting some of our favorite treats.

Now comes the parts where the hotel stumbled a bit. When we first got to the room, I checked out the minibar to see how their selections compared to other Kimptons. Unfortunately there were some items missing and someone else had left an old bagel and some cheese in the fridge. The cheese was getting moldy so it must have been there at least a couple days. How no one noticed this in the minibar long enough for the cheese to get moldy is beyond me. But, mistakes happen, so I just went to the front desk on my way out to mention this. I told the gentleman at the front desk, I believe his name was Nasser, about this and that I was hoping I wouldn't be charged for anything. He assured me it would be OK and apologized for the mistake in clearing the minibar. The next morning on our way out I actually ran into the woman restocking the minibar. She again, assured me that nothing would be charged and they were just restocking items. Unfortunately two days later, I got a minibar charge. I called up the hotel and Sarah quickly fixed the issue and was extremely apologetic. I almost felt bad for how bad it sounded like she felt. I'm glad it was fixed quickly, but disappointed no one made a note when I noticed several things were missing.

The other thing that bothered me was the lack of attention to room service. I'm not sure how often people get room service, and perhaps many of the previous reviewers did not get any. I called around 10am to order breakfast. Pressing the In-Room Dining button didn't get me this department and instead got me the front desk. That's fine, but I knew we were in for a game of telephone with making sure our order was correct. The front desk lady took our order and repeated it to me correctly. She promised it in 30 minutes and after about 40 we got a call asking how we'd like our coffee. I was surprised since I had asked for it with soy milk, but no big deal. A couple minutes later our order came up. It was missing an item and was pretty much lacking all condiments. After a few calls, two trips by the service team and 10 minutes of waiting, we had everything. I really feel like the room service team has just not been trained on setting up and sending out a tray. I have never gotten room service without butter, jam and ketchup. Usually there are tons of extra stuff too we don't need as well, but who gets a bunch of bread and then doesn't want anything to put on it? I'm calling it a lack of training, because I really doubt this is some perverse way to save a few bucks on condiments.

The other issue regarding communication is I felt like whoever I called it always went to the front desk. I direct dialed Red Owl and in-room dining and both went to the front desk. I pressed the in-room dining button and it went to the front desk. I pressed the valet button and it went to the front desk. I understand that calls usually get forwarded after a ring or two to the front desk, but I really doubt every time I called anyone it was busy. No big deal, but being able to directly speak to in-room dining might have fixed a couple of the issues with that and perhaps gotten our car faster in the morning.

Valet was generally pretty good. Perhaps some would complain it took too long in the morning, but we were leaving at 11am and it felt like so was everyone else. With the large number of people waiting out there it seemed like we were getting taken care of quickly enough. If it took this long in a parking garage, I'd be annoyed. But, the garage clearly required a walk and then a short drive. The valet team were friendly at other times during our stay as well: opening taxi doors, welcoming us and offering help whenever we left.

Overall this hotel has TONS of potential. The building is amazing. The rooms are excellent. The staff is all friendly and seems to want to try hard. And it's pretty hard to beat the location. I just feel that there are still issues that need to be fixed. If it weren't for room service, I would probably follow the trend and give this a 5 star. With all the issues though, I'm almost tempted to give a 3. I can get a huge room in a great location at plenty of places in the city. It's the attention to detail that usually sets Kimptons apart. I'll leave it at a four because of the great space and that it's still new.

I'll definitely be back in a couple months after a few more stays at the Palomar to see if the wrinkles get ironed out at the Monaco. I really hope they are.

Room Tip: Definitely pay to get a room with a view.
Dear Mark H,

Thank you for staying with us and for being so loyal to Kimpton! I genuinely appreciate every piece of feedback you gave. I remember you from the Palomar days, as I used to work there and have seen many of your reviews. Thank you again for the honest feedback as it is how we can become better. I will be sure to address the items you mentioned and some have already been in the works for improvement.

Come check us out again and please feel free to contact me directly at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com

Best Regards,

Director of Welcoming All Feedback
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Monaco this weekend to celebrate our one year anniversary. We have always been pleased with Kimpton hotels and stayed at the Hotel Palomar in Philadelphia on our last visit. We were excited to see that Kimpton had opened a new hotel in Philadelphia and so were looking forward to staying there.

I would have to say that this hotel definitely has some kinks to work out. First of all, upon arrival, my husband had to look for someone to valet the car for approximately 15 minutes. At $40 a night for valet, this should never have been an issue. The lobby is virtually non-existent. When you walk in the front door it is confusing. You are not greeted by a front desk but rather are facing some elevators. The check in desk is located around a blind corner which in itself is a strange set-up.

One of the first things I noticed in the room was the shower. As I have seen mentioned in a previous review, it lacks a door, having only a glass divider. As you shower, the water sprays out onto the bathroom floor. It was not relaxing at all as the entire time I was showering I was trying not to cause a flood. I definitely think that this design will cause mold and mildew problems down the line. We were trying to relax after a long day out in Philly, however, we had to check to make sure our shower wasn't running as the shower above us was so loud. Also, although we were on the 8th floor we still heard street noise not just the occasional emergency vehicle but also voices, cars, motorcycles, etc.

I have no complaints otherwise about the room. It was nicely decorated, had a comfortable bed, and was clean.

The biggest issue that we noticed with this hotel is the noise level. On both Friday and Saturday nights, we were woken up by loud groups of people returning to their rooms in the early hours of the morning (around 2 a.m.). The room we were given did happen to be right next to the elevators. Quite honestly these rooms should never be given to guests unless no other rooms are available. We didn't think this would be a problem until the first night when we were awoken at 1:45 a.m. by a group of women returning to their rooms after a night out. As annoying as this was, we were able to fall back asleep. We heard a bellboy telling another group of guests the next day about how "crazy" the rooftop lounge gets at night. This being woken up in the early hours of the morning was repeated again on Saturday, prehaps by the "crazy" going-ons on the rooftop.

I must say that I have stayed in a lot of hotels and the ONLY time I was every awoken in the middle of the night by other guests was when I was in Las Vegas. When I was discussing this at checkout, there was another guest from an entirely different floor complaining about the noise level, too. It is unclear what type of clientele Hotel Monaco is aiming for. It seems to be the type that likes to go out and party as is evident with their promotion of the rooftop lounge. Once evening falls, the velvet ropes are laid out for the line for the rooftop bar. This hotel seems to be giving out mixed signals as it is right next door to Independence Hall, a family oriented place, and yet it seems to be aimed at the mid 20's party crowd, especially those out for a bachelorette/bachelor weekend. This will eventually hurt this hotel for gaining returning guests especially those that are there for business, a family trip with kids, or a relaxing weekend away such as I was.

I can't say that this hotel did not provide me with a great weekend because I did enjoy my stay. Unfortunately the inconsideration of the guests who don't have the common courtesy to return to their rooms quietly put a sour taste in my mouth.

Once this hotel figures out its priorities, it can be a great hotel.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank amr383
SeanFlanigan, Manager at Kimpton Hotel Monaco Philadelphia, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Amr 383,

Thank you for staying us and for taking the time to share your experience. I wanted to apologize about the problems you encountered and was hoping we could speak directly about your visit. If you would be so kind to email me at sean.flanigan@hotelmonaco.com or call me at 267-386-9462 it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm Regards,
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Great location, convenient to society hill, old city, and major tourist attractions around the constitution center. Dozens of wonderful restaurants within a short walking distance. Cheerful, helpful, truly friendly staff. Only negative is small size of rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear WISEGUY572,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write about your visit. That’s great to see that overall you had an enjoyable time. I apologize that the room size was not to your liking. For future bookings, look for the Park View rooms, Kings Spas, or suites as those are larger than the deluxe accommodations.

Hope to welcome you back.

Best,

Paoli, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Wow. GREAT hotel. I recently spent a night at Hotel Monaco with some friends as part of a girls night out/birthday celebration and I don't think I can stay in a "regular" hotel again. This place is extremely cool with funky/contemporary decor and is right in the heart of things however, we all know what makes one store or restaurant or hotel better than others...service. From the moment we drove up to the valet, we felt like stars. The valet and doormen, super nice. The front desk staff, super nice. We waited a little longer than expected for our rooms to be ready, so they upgraded us, super nice. The rooftop bar, again, super nice. But here was the real kicker for me...I left something of value in our hotel room and the housekeeping staff turned it in. SUPER NICE.

I can't rave enough about this hotel. It is new, so I hope it can keep up the good work!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hi Many_Wonderful_Trips,

WOW is right! You are wonderful for giving us such a fantastic review. We pride ourselves on our service and the team here is one of the best I have ever had the chance to work for. Glad to hear you got your valuables back.

Please don’t be a stranger and come back soon!

Cheers,

Regional Director of the Super Nice Team
Payson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night (Fri., Nov.2) soon after it opened, and didn't want to leave! The decor is modern, colorful, fanciful and takes you into another world. On walking into the lobby for a drink, we saw quite a heart-warming scene...well-behaved dogs of every shape and size, and children with their parents. We had room 317 which had a city view. Everything in the room was spotless and new, and it was outfitted with beautiful linens, a large bathroom with a pocket door, Etro toiletries, and enough drawer and closet space. The bed had loads of linens and pillows, and the book "Alice in Wonderland" was even on the shelf next to the bed. I even loved reading the literary quotes that were inside the closet. You can't beat the location which is literally across the street from Independence Hall. On Saturday morning, we took the very interesting tour (the next night, there was a story on 60 Minutes about it) and the docent was fabulous! I plan to come back, and next time stay a few days, try the restaurant and soak in the very cool atmosphere!

Dear SophieBlue09,

I can't thank you enough for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to the City of Brotherly Love! The Alice and Wonderland book and the quotes in the closet are some of many ways to bring out the playfulness of what Monaco and Kimpton are all about; glad to see you enjoyed it.

Can’t wait to welcome you back!

Best,