“Fantastic time!”

Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 27, 2013

My wife and I were in Philladelphia to celabrate our 30th anniversary. I had done some research and found Hop Sing's on the web.
We went on a weeknight , rang the bell and went through the usual screening process (see other reviews).
Once inside we could not believe the atmosphere and mood. It was relaxing , hip and nostalgic , all at the same time.
The owner Mr. Lee came over and talked to us and bought us drinks in honor of our anniversary.
If you are looking for a truley unique experience , this place is for you. Not cheap , but it is worth every penny. We will be back in JUly!

2  Thank Gregberger

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Arrived after midnight on a Wednesday evening and found the unmarked entrance just as some customers were leaving. The owner looked us over and said "What do you want?" We passed muster with our reason for coming and our wardrobe, and were allowed into a small lobby and told to have a seat. Here the rules were explained to us including no cell phones, no photos and cash only. Only then were we invited in and given a table. Beautiful interior with well spaced tables. There were five of us and we each ordered a different and unique concoction, all $12. Despite the late hour on a slow night we were never rushed and last call was at 1:30. Very unique experience that was a highlight of our Philadelphia trip.

2  Thank elsh
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been here 3 times, and I really do love it. It's an unmarked ("speakeasy" style) bar with a great menu of mixed drinks. No food.

But there are rules! On each of my 3 visits, after ringing the doorbell, we were greeted outside through the metal security gate for a little "screening process." For example, they'd question what you were looking for...have you been here before, etc...examining your clothes to make sure you're dressed properly (apparently "nice" jeans are fine, but no t-shirts, no sneakers, no hats, etc.). Once you pass the screening process, you are told to go into the lobby and take a seat on the bench for orientation (i.e. more rules): no speaking on cell phones in the bar and no taking photographs (after all, as the owner told us, you don't want to unknowingly end up on someone's Facebook page).

On the most recent visit, I was not wearing acceptable footwear, and the owner told me to go to a local shop in Chinatown and "buy Kung Fu slippers, then come back." I did so, and on my return, he told me that because I had gone above and beyond, he was happy to buy me a drink. I really appreciated it...especially since the average drink is around $12-$13.

Oh one other rule...no credit cards! Cash only.

It's a quiet, candle-lit gem with the best drink menu I've seen in Philly.

12  Thank Daniel O
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I am a huge fan of this bar. I think it's something you should experience at least once for yourself. I on the other hand have visited multiple times and will continue going. The drinks are outstanding, the experience is unique and one of a kind. The hype is real. Go check it out for yourself. Like others have mentioned, dress for the occasion and go enjoy some of the best drinks you'll ever have. CASH only!

5  Thank Mbl5687
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Came here on a weeknight when Hop Sing was almost empty and we were greeted quickly and brought to our table.

My first drink was the Stonewall Riot which consisted of Vodka, freshly extracted green grape juice and orange juice. This was recommended to me by one of the bartenders after I said I wanted something fruity. I could taste the freshness of the green grape but surprisingly could not taste the orange juice at all. The drink progressively got more enjoyable as I sipped through it. My second drink was The Failed Entertainment which was gin, grapefruit, mint and cucumber (? not too sure) which I really enjoyed too because it was sweet. My boyfriend ordered The Honeymoon and Judah Railroad which I didn't like because of the strong alcoholic taste. Judah Railroad especially was a full drink of hard liquor (10year- Scotch, two kinds of chartreuse and something else)!

Drinks were $12 (including tip and tax it averaged out to be $15 per drink) and its cash only.

2  Thank j0yce90