“Ticket purchase...website NOT current as to ticket availability”

The Barnes Foundation
New York to Philadelphia Day Trip by Rail
Ranked #2 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Barnes Foundation houses one of the finest collections of nineteenth- and twentieth-century French painting in the world. An extraordinary number of masterpieces by Renoir, Cezanne and Matisse provide a depth of work by these artists that is unavailable elsewhere. Established as an educational institution, the Barnes carries out its mission teaching classes in its galleries and Arboretum.
Reviewed June 9, 2012

After I missed seeing this collection in Merion, PA, watching The Art of the Steal I was VERY anxious to see this collection. I checked ticket availability online which listed several available for the day. I booked my flight (award travel) and hotel. I returned to purchase a Barnes Collection ticket to find out the only actually available were MEMBER = $90.00 tickets, although the website states ALL TICKET types available. After speaking to the ticket office at the Barnes I was told they don't update their website!! It would cost $150.00 to re-deposit my Delta award ticket, so I spent the $90.00 to become a member, the only ticket available was at 5:30 pm. The good news....I will get to see this collection....a nasty way to garner fresh museum patrons.

5  Thank 2CFALU

Reviewed June 9, 2012

The Barnes collection is so amazingly large you must visit mulptiple times to take it all in in small chunks. The new building is interesting and adds much to the experience of the visit. The landscaping is beautiful.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

I went to the Barnes this afternoon using the free Sunday afternoon tickets. The free tickets are being offered for the first Sunday of each month. http://www.uwishunu.com/2012/05/the-barnes-foundation-and-peco-team-up-to-offer-free-first-sundays-at-the-barnes-starting-on-june-3/

We visited the galleries first, but in retrospect, should have started with the exhibit on the ground floor devoted to Dr. Barnes and the history of the collection. The exhibit on Dr. Barnes provides a good context to the exhibits in the galleries.

The art is placed exactly as it was in the building in Merion. There are no explanations in the galleries but most of the rooms contain booklets which tell you what is what. There is no explanation about why the art is hung the way it is; Dr. Barnes liked to juxtapose different artworks but it is not easy to discern what he meant to convey by the various arrangemenst. I did not get the audio tour so perhaps that might help. It costs $5 for nonmembers.

I do not know but somehow I missed the room in which Matisse Joy of Life was hung.I'm sorry I missed that.

We parked in the museum lot it was $15 which we didn't mind since the tickets were free.

Overall I enjoyed the visit and would return!

1  Thank rocknroll52
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Do go. The architects have created a beautiful new museum building, surrounding the "make-over" of the mansion interior, with all the paintings and objets as Albert Barnes had them when he passed away. Glorious post-impressionist paintings; absolutely worth a visit.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

The Barnes Foundation is a remarkable museum of modern art. The collection is overwhelming in its scope and presentation. The space is modern, spare & beautiful.