“Valet was rude”

Homewood Suites University City
Ranked #29 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 20, 2014

The valet was rude and should be taught a little manners and how to deal with people. I not only experienced this myself but witnessed several other encountering the same type of treatment. Otherwise the stay was good overall and the location was perfect for what I needed.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

Dear Joseph B,

Thank you for your comments and you response to our email regarding your experience with the valet. We will avoid the confusion with the parking in the future. Hope to see you on your next stay.

Paul

Reviewed February 18, 2014

My family and I enjoyed staying at this hotel while traveling to/from the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia for 3 day tests on my daughter. The kitchen allowed us to make the kids food in the room and still have plenty of normal living space. The complimentary breakfast & dinner really helped save on eating out. Dinner didn't have much in the way of kid options which was a small downside. But overall we liked our stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Had to find a quick place to stay during a snowstorm with my parents due to a surgical procedure scheduled for early the next day. The location at 41st Street & Walnut was so accommodating especially since it was last minute. The hotel is so close to CHOP and all the PENN Hospital facilities. A lot of families were staying there for the same reasons. The hotel is very accommodating to families and young children. I loved it and was super impressed with everything!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Everything was great. Please note that you can get free water, breakfast, and dinner. Also, switching lights on is a mystery. Ask how. The shuttle service was amazing. I really liked the staff. I don't really know what else to say, but the review forces me to add more information. Oh, that is right, I loved the full size fridge and kitchenette.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Kaitlin S,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff.

Paul

Reviewed February 2, 2014

The location of this hotel, near to Penn Med Presby Center, was the reason I chose this hotel. I was there during a snow storm in January 2014 and the shuttle service was a blessing. The drivers were on time in the morning and evening and were very kind and safe drivers. All the staff were very helpful. The suite was clean and met all our needs.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed January 28, 2014

While navigating the Schuylkill Expressway entering Philadelphia, I received a phone call from The Hampton Inn Centre City that my room was no longer available. This after I confirmed the evening prior and my manager leaving his bags at the hotel this morning. I'd blast the Hampton Inn now but TripAdvisor does not allow reviews within 3 months of a prior stay; stay tuned.

Homewood Suites is 3 miles to the PA Convention Centre where I was working The Philadelphia Home Show, the Hampton Inn is 1 block. Homewood Suites is designed for putting up parents visiting their children attending the University of Pennsylvania, and it's just about perfect for that mission. The room is large with a bedroom separate for the kitchen and sitting room. A full sized refrigerator, cook-top, microwave and coffee maker are provided. A great grocery store is less than a block away as are many places to eat. If you want to be in Centre City, you'll have to drive, cab or be able to run like heck.

The staff was extremely helpful, professional and friendly.

By the way, the Hampton Inn did pay for my room and parking which will reduce my rant when the opportunity arrives.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Stayed here for several nights with someone in a wheelchair. It was almost impossible to open the extremely heavy door and navigate a wheelchair into the room and around the room. Guest services said all the room doors were extremely heavy.

Room Tip: Nice indoor pool and fitness center
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank junec51
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear junec51,

I want to apologize for the unfortunate experience that you had at our hotel. The health and safety of our guests is of the utmost importance. We have reviewed your comments with our staff and we would be glad to help you with opening and holding the doors for you when you are here next.

Paul DiNapoli