“New Property. Excellent rooms. Good location. Neighborhood Okay.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Homewood Suites University City

Homewood Suites University City
Ranked #26 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Buckeye Nation
“New Property. Excellent rooms. Good location. Neighborhood Okay.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

Except for the price I have no negative comments to offer for this hotel. Check in went smooth. Everyone was friendly. Room was fantastic. Breakfast was decent. Did not partake in the evening "dinner" except to have one beer. There were a few restaurants within walking distance as well as a grocery store and bookstore. Basic college area. Ran into a few beggars but never felt threatened. It seems like they are really into making this a safe area. Cops (campus and city) everywhere. Would highly recommend this as an option to paying even more in the downtown area. Very short drive to the historic areas and even down to Pats Cheesesteak. As to the price....About $500 for two nights! Now that does include $40 a night for parking. There is an option to park on the street for free up to 8am. But only after 10pm I believe, and starting at 8am you have to feed the meter. Thought about using public transpo but driving around downtown was not a hassle. Definitely visit the Reading Street Market! We also did the Art Museum and had a good time. Parking is hard to come by in what is called the restaurant area. We found parking at meters the best way to go. The garages are outrageous in their charges. There is one garage in the society hill area where if you are in by 10 and out by 7, I believe, parking is only $5. Can't remember exactly where it was though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank osuffan
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear osuffan,

Thank you for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed the staff, the food and the local area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Hebrew first
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2012

Amazing property. Clean, bright, cheerful. Pool and workout area wonderful. Staff: every single staff member from housekeeping to front desk to food service to mainteance to "outside entrance" staff has been courteous and helpful. I have stayed at some very nice properties both in US and Europe and this staff equals those at far more expensive properties. Will stay again if ever in area.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank scoutie06
Dear scoutie06,

Thank you for you review. We feel that our staff is our greatest asset. Hope to see you again,
Lima, Peru
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We were on a college tour and U Penn was a must in in our list. The hotel opened a few months ago and was having some kind of promotion because I was able to use my points to reserve two nights. Otherwise I would not have been able to afford to stay there. Nevertheless, the suite they gave us was small for the hotel standard, the living and dinning room and kitchen all crunched into a small space, but it didn't bother us because we were out most of the day and with the breakfast and dinner included, we didn't need to use the kitchen. The payment we could not avoid was the parking, $39 a night plus $12 for the valet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Camoto54,

Thank you for the positive rating of your stay. We are glad you are a Hilton Honors member.
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a new hotel so there are some kinks to work out. I stayed here for one night while in town for work. It is very close to the major hospitals. They offer a shuttle to the hospitals close by which is nice. I took a cab from the airport to the hotel, but my co-worker had a rental car and parked. She said valet parking was $39.00. Make your own decision about that. The lobby is on the 3rd floor-so when you walk in from downstairs-there aren't really any signs telling where to go until you get in the elevator. Also they gave me a map of the area-but the hotel wasn't even on there-At least give me a map if I walk around-I can find the hotel where I am staying. The valet was much more helpful-pointed me in the right direction on the map.

My room was clean, quiet and cool. The staff were friendly. The dinner served was fine and breakfast is your typical HW Suites breakfast. The woman working the dinner area was super nice and friendly!

Didn't use the gym, but looked very nice.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear DavidandKim,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are glad that you enjoyed the staff and your room.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel is within walking distance to the U of Pa. The staff here was especially helpful and friendly. Breakfast is complimentary. On week nights, a complimentary dinner is also served (although the menu is a bit quirky). The hotel offers studio, one-bedroom and two bedroom suites and is an especially good choice if you are stayinf for mre than a day or two.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank erta b
Paul D, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear erta b,

Thank you for your positive comments. We are glad you enjoyed the staff, your suite and our food! Come back soon!

springfield, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

This hotel is very nice. It's very new and very clean. The staff is very accomodating and I would definitely stay here again. It's too bad we can't give a 4.5 as that is probably a better reflection of the rating a I would prefer to reserve a 5 for resort properties that offer everything to its guests. There is no restaurant in the hotel, however, they serve complimentary dinner with wine or beer Monday through Thursday which was very nice and relaxing. The pool and fitness areas were nice, but nothing outside which makes sense for the cold months.

The staff here is great. The dining area staff were the best as were the doormen. We had great service there. The maid acted like it was an inconvenience for her to clean our room everyday and when I answered the door at 8 am one morning, she said she was there to clean. I told her that I would be gone by 9. She acted like that would be too late and she didn't come back. She didn't seem too motivated. I could have complained, but I really didn't care that much. The rooms are quite large and everything works. The place was very clean so not an issue for me.

The laundry facilities are great and are cheap, ($1 per load). That was very convenient. There was an odor in the laundry room that smelled to me like a sewer issue, but the clothes came out clean and smelled good, so not sure what the problem might be there. Our room had a small kitchen in a separate room. Everything worked fine and the fridge was very clean.

Like I said, we would definitely stay here again. I agree with the other reviewer that any small issues were most likely related to the fact that this is a new property. I liked being in University City. However, I am sure that being downtown is nice too now that we know what is down there. There is a train from the airport to downtown too apparently.

This was perfect for our little family. Thanks to everyone at the Homewood for making our stay nice. We were there for 6 days and thought it was great.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear tpowellwow,

Thank you for your review. We take great pride in our service and cleanliness. Hope to see you again soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

It's going through teething problems, as all new hotels do. It's a beautiful property, with an unbeatable location if you're visiting UPenn or want to stay in the West Philly area and great service. Where my issues were though, was the room iteself. It was spacious and had all the amenities I could want, but for whatever reason, they have really heavy blankets on the bed and despite the themostat being set at 68, I'd wake up cold. I guess I could have thrown them off, but then I'd get cold. I dunno, I can be fussy but for whatever reason I coudn't get comfortable in the room for long. I heard a similar complaint from another guest in an elevator. I don't think the system was broken, but maybe a construction issue? It was a particularly humid weekend, which always messes with climate control. To be fair, I was jetlagged, which may have impacted my sleep, so I'll only knock them down one star. Also, the shower never got hot, despite me having the dial all the way up. It was warm, but never hot.

As I said, I think this is due to the hotel being a month old, and I imagine these small issues will work themselves out over time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dan7482
, General Manager at Homewood Suites University City, responded to this review, July 13, 2012
Dear Dan7482,

Thank you very much for your review of your recent stay with us. You are our first reviewer, and we greatly appreciate both your business and the review. We apologize that you were inconvenienced by the temperature in your room, as well as the hot water. We are sorry you experienced these issues on your first stay with us. Yes, we did just open, so you may well be correct in noting that we are experiencing “teething problems.” Thank you for seeing that and for your understanding. Thank you also for your kind words about our property. We love our new hotel and want it to be the best it can be. So we’ve taken your review to heart and will address the issues you brought forward. Thank you sincerely again, and we welcome you back again soon. Wishing you continued safe travels.

All the best,