“What a charming BYO "find" (with easy parking)”
Review of The Pickled Heron

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Susquhanna
Transit: We are located 3 blocks from the Market/Frankford stop on the Blue Line.
Description: Excellent restaurant in Philly's Fishtown district.
Reviewed December 31, 2012

We had the opportunity to get reservations for the December 20 "anniversary" dinner prepared by Chefs Todd and Daniela in celebration of their restaurant being open one year, so it was a different sort of night. That said, the reception and service were efficient and friendly. Like many restaurants these days, the chefs focus on locally-grown, organic produce and locally-sourced meats. The menu - a four-course meal - was both inventive and delicious - have never had pork bellies to die for quite like that. The only slight let-down was the pork ragout, yet this was very good and perhaps a little less inventive than the remainder of the courses. Ambiance is a comfortable atmosphere, and both chefs came out before dessert to thank everyone for sharing in their own personal celebration, a really nice touch. And not the least of which, using our traffic app Waze the restaurant was very easy to find and get to, and as among the last to arrive (it was a one-seating night), we were still able to street park right in front of the restaurant. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great BYOB in Fishtown. Terrific service. Pretty room. Limited choices but all were items I would order, so no problem. I ordered salad with pickled cranberries and sweet potato croutons. Delish. The scallops for entree were the best I have had...perfectly done, not touch, not slimy, just delicious. My group, who are particular and dine out a lot, said this restaurant deserved a repeat visit (something that doesn't occur too often because of the great selection in Philly). Desserts were great, though my apple cake was my least favorite...the rice pudding with figs, huge pearls of rice, was heaven, and the best was the chocolate pecan pie. Great coffee in french press at the table. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We had the place to ourselves at first so service was wonderful. The appetizers except for the charcouterie were very good. The meats were unfamiliar...wild boar,etc ...but I gave them a try. It was a BYOB and the wine paired nicely with the selections. Some of our six were vegans and they delighted in their choices. I liked the out of the way location and the size of the restaurant, more like being in one's home than a big dining room. I would return as the food was delicious and not a disappointment.

Reviewed June 4, 2012

A hell of a find in Philly's "Fishtown" district. A killer BYOB bistro with a classy atmosphere and unforgettable food. We had our favorite menu items all picked out before we went (which only changed slightly after arriving) and a nice bottle of wine to go with it. We started with their charcuterie board and Octopus salad. Charcuterie was rich, flavorful and well balanced. The accompaniment's rounded out the board and brought some freshness to it. The octopus salad was worth getting two of. It was SOOO tender, yet meaty....i really almost did order another..probably should have. It came with a blood orange vinagrette...my mouth is watering.. I had a slow cooked lamb shoulder dish..which melted away in your mouth like filet..and my wife had a veal breast dish that was rustic yet refined in flavor. And to round out one of the best meals we've had was a DUCK egg Creme Brulee. Words dont do it justice...just go get it..you figure it out fast! Thanks for an amazing experience!

1  Thank FLXFoodie