“Wonderful Neighborhood Gem & it's BYO”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Blue Cat Restaurant - CLOSED

Blue Cat Restaurant
Cuisines: Latin, American, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Neighborhood Gem & it's BYO”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2013

Blue Cat has the most AMAZING dessert! Orange Blossom Flan. I would go just for dessert and intend to very soon. Flan is one of those desserts I have failed to make successfully for myself so I usually order it out. I have had a lot of flan over the years (in the US and in Mexico) and this is by far the most delicious flan I've ever had. It took me back to a warm March evening in Portugal walking under the orange trees full of blossoms filling the air with their delirious scent. Yes, IT IS that good. I wanted to order a second but my husband made me put my spoon down. If it wasn't gauche, i would have licked the plate.

Now that I've gotten that out of my system....The Blue Cat is a much welcome addition to the Fairmount Avenue restaurant scene. It's still sort of a hidden gem that needs to be discovered. It's byo and the wine store is just a few doors away. We have dinned at the Blue Cat on several occasions with friends, enjoying each meal, but on our last visit we were there for Saturday lunch/brunch. It was my birthday and I choose Blue Cat to kick off my birthday celebrations with my husband. I cannot pass up the black bean soup or the grilled shrimp with butternut squash. While everything I have tried on the menu is delicious, these are my two favorite dishes in addition to the flan. My husband ordered the cubano, one of his favorite sandwiches. He was torn between that or the huevos rancheros, which he's enjoyed before. He was very happy with his sandwich, which was quite generous.

My other favorite dishes include the papas rellenas, both of the empanadas, the San Julian salad, the carne asada, and for Sunday brunch the fresh fruit with yogurt and granola is so delicious. It wasn't available the Saturday we were there, or I would have ordered the fruit.

They usually have specials, which never disappoint. All the dishes are deliciously flavorful. The service is always friendly and the atmosphere is welcoming and casual. If it is crowded, it can be a bit noisy though. Be prepared, they have recently gone to cash only. Go to the Blue Cat and make sure to finish with an order (or two) of the Orange Blossom Flan!

• Visited December 2013

Pennsylvania
“Really outstanding casual Latin-inspired gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

First visit to The Blue Cat on Fairmount. Really enjoyed the salads and the chicken with rice. A great BYOB that's casual, comfortable and very nice sized portions. If you forget to bring wine, there is a state store just a few doors away. And the desserts are worth saving room to enjoy.

A must try!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Each time we go, each dish is so delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We have gone to Blue Cat four times now alone and with friends...for brunch, lunch and dinner.
The dishes we have ordered have each been incredibly tasty and generous in size.
The bean soup, fish tacos, huevos rancheros, oxtail stew, marisco (fish soup), plantains, salads...each and every dish distinctively put together and satisfying. Tastes like superb home cooking with an artful flair. Setting is colorful and very clean. Service for us always excellent. Although we do not live in the neighborhood, we always encourage our friends to go there and go as often as we can. One of us is a pescatarian who is gluten free; there has always been much to choose from; not as true at many local restaurants.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fairmount Avenue's Dining Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

All of us who reside in the area know the Blue Cat. The owner has developed a unique menu that speaks to every taste bud in your mouth. When you are in the mood for a different meal head to Fairmount Avenue for a real treat. Lunch is a wonderful time to head there. Cheers P.S. its byob and the the state store is on the same block.....

Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
“A fabulous meal by chef Guy Shapiro”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

The server was not at the top of his game, but Guy's culinary skills more than compensated.The duck with mole was outstanding but all appetizers, entrees and desserts were superb