“Not quite sure yet...”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Brick American Eatery - CLOSED

Brick American Eatery
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: S 17th Street
Description: Located in Rittehhouse Square neighborhood
Little River, South Carolina
“Not quite sure yet...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Been to Brick twice... there are things to like and things that just don't quite get there for me. The Short Rib Mac n Cheese was delicious, but the Short Rib entree was fatty and average. The Buffalo Wings were small in size, but spicy hot and well prepared. Beer and wine selections were few, but they were not marked up thru the roof. Attractive neighborhood, but a plain and uninspiring space inside. Seems like for everything I like, there's something that's just "meh" here... I'll give it another chance; I'd like to try the Sunday Brunch (looks good). We're probably a 3.5 here, but I rounded down to a 3 because I expected better things. It's a nice place, but nothing special... so far.

Visited March 2014

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
“Good but fell short of it's top ten rating”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2013

In a continued quest to try places that I hadn't eaten in Philly before, I found Brick American Eatery on a top ten restaurant list. A few blocks away from Rittenhouse Square it was easy to reach and had an interesting on-line menu. Having already scanned the menu I grabbed a Weyerbacher Winter Ale and ordered the lamb burger - it had looked amazing in pictures on line. The beer was definitely the best part of the meal - smokey, subtle, dark and delicious. The burger was good - cooked perfectly and lightly seasoned but a little too sublety to be memorable - likewise the manchego cheese and 'spicy onion jam' was much too light to be worth raving about. It's a solid burger but not sure I would re-order it should I find myself back at Brick. All of the staff were super friendly, fast and efficient and I would most likely go back to try something a little more adventurous on the menu hoping to find stronger flavours.

Visited December 2013
“Worst Thanksgiving Ever!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

The absolute worst!!! Who treats people poorly on Thanksgiving of all days!!?!? We were served NOTHING that was on their Thanksgiving menu and the stuff we were served was horrible (burnt, cold, flavorless). And this was for $35 per person! And when we complained about it we were basically told "oh well"...by the manager of all people!!! I should have known it was wack when we walked in and it was empty on Thanksgiving!! NEVER AGAIN! Save your time and money!!! HORRIBLE!!!

• Visited November 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Hit or miss - try the scallops, not crab cakes”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

My wife and I tried out this restaurant because we had a groupon. My initial impressions from our waitress were very good, as she immediately gave us a very detailed description about their drink specials and food specials. I was a little confused by the menu, as it dedicated a section to Italian food (as if they were half-heartedly trying to compete with the italian restaurant 3 doors down). I wouldn't expect that from an "American Eatery". As described below, some of the dishes were fresh and great, others were lack luster and seemed to be frozen. They should tighten up their menu and focus on serving fresh food.

We started with the calamari salad. The peppers, greens, and dressing were very good. The calamari seemed like it was frozen, as the pieces seemed too uniform in size and the breading was very dense and uniform - in fact none of it had fallen off. This appetizer was a great value. It would have been excellent if the calamari was fresh (or fresher) with a better breading.

My wife had the crab cakes. They were just your average (or below average) crab cakes with tons of breading, not a lot of crab meat. Something I again assumed was frozen,

I had the scallops. The scallops were excellent. They had a great sear and were perfectly cooked (I find that many places over cook them, as they should not be piping hot in the center - no more than a warm center). The sides were decent.

• Visited August 2013
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

We went for dinner on a Tuesday night after purchasing a Travelzoo coupon which entitled us to 1 cocktail (or a bottle of wine) 1 app, and 1 entree each. We sat inside towards the back. The atmosphere was comfortable and friendly. The wait staff was pleasant and very attentive however food service was slow. We ordered the morning glory cocktails and they were quite good. Fresh ingredients and they didn't skimp on the booze. We ordered the short rib mac & cheese (good, not great) and the Thai chili shrimp (delicious). For our entree it was the scallops (over cooked and rubbery, but good flavor) and the skirt steak (well cooked but only average). Our experience was nice, but their prices seem to be way too high. We would not have been pleased if we payed full price. It was fine, but being that we don't live in the neighborhood, we won't go out of our way to return.

• Visited July 2013