“I'll be honest...it was kind of scary.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Deshler-Morris House
Ranked #239 of 444 things to do in Philadelphia
Cincinnati, OH
63 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 89 helpful votes
“I'll be honest...it was kind of scary.”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

First, the Deshler-Morris house is listed in some guides as the Germantown Whitehouse, which can cause some confusion, just FYI. It's also really out of the way in comparison to other park sites and it's not in the greatest part of town. There were a few times when we actually did not feel safe--and I work in a large city so I am pretty used to run-down neighborhoods. This was ten times what I see here.

The online directions were very confusing and by the time we got there, it was not open. There's not really even anything worth getting out of the car for that you can see from the outside.

Visited October 2012
2 Thank JRRTraveler

Philadelphia, PA
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“The Germantown Whitehouse”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

The philadelphia metropolitan area is full of historic houses that just love to tell about how president x or y stayed here for 1 night, and how MONUMENTAL decisions were made during that stay. Well, this is one of those. Washington stayed here a few weeks during his presidency as a summer retreat and to avoid the yellow fever epidemic.

I live 15 minutes from here and thought I'd check it out. It's not in the best section of Philadelphia, and walking to here from some of the other historic sites just stood out as 'this is not safe and a dump'. It was in the middle of the day and plenty of people around just minding their own business, but something to be aware of.

It's administered by the national park service, and free. Of course we were the only ones there, and it doesn't look like it gets many visitors based off the guest book. There's a little overview of the building next door, then the park ranger takes you on a guided tour of the house. About 30 minutes spent here.

If it's a nice day and you are going to chestnut hill for lunch, drive down the road and check out these sites, it'll be a fun day trip.

Visited October 2012