“Cozy, comfortable, home away from home"”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Philadelphia
Silverstone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #7 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We loved our stay at Silverstone B&B. We live in Center City Philadelphia and decided to go on a weekend trip to get out of the city for a night, and had a wonderful time. The B&B is located just minutes from the train station, and we took our bikes with us, which they let us keep outside. Yolanta's husband even offered to let us keep them in the basement, but we ended up just leaving them out for the night. Yolanta made sure we were acquainted with Chestnut Hill and was very knowledgeable about the history and culture of the area. She provided us with some tips and recommendations for places to visit.

We felt very comfortable in the B&B, which is an old 1800's mansion with an annex addition. The rooms and common areas are light and airy and carefully decorated. When we told Yolanta that we are studying architecture, she shared with us a story of some former guests from Japan who had given her a book of Louis Kahn houses in the area. She went out of her way to find us the book so we could take a look at it.

There is a small kitchen for guests to use and a common area with music playing and books to read. Outside there are gardens and a gazebo; everything is carefully place and thought out.

Breakfast was wonderful. We were able to choose what we wanted to eat: eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, cereal, orange juice, tea, etc. The breakfast room is very pleasant and there is a porch just off the breakfast room where you can read the paper.

We stayed in the annex, which consists of three bedrooms and a shared bathroom. Since we were the only people in the annex at the time, we ended up having the bathroom to ourselves, although we wouldn't have minded sharing with others. The room was very clean and the tempur pedic mattress was terrific!

The Silverstone B&B is a great place to stay if you are looking for a quiet, relaxing, and unobtrusive stay. We were able to keep to ourselves in a quaint and cozy setting and had no complaints. A very cute location and all in all wonderful time!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank lovestravelphilly

Reviewed May 10, 2011

large room with a view of the well kept garden. Comfortable bed, Very suitable for our family use.
Yolanta was very helpful and it was a great location to walk to Chestnut Hilll Village to enjoy the local market atmosphere.

Room Tip: All upstairs rooms are excellent locations
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank toutouwai
Reviewed March 22, 2011

There were 4 people in our group (2 rooms). We had great service, and were able to check in prior to our leisure trip to downtown Philadelphia. The breakfest was good and plenty of selections. The only con we had was finding our rooms at night when we returned, and not enough hot water for all 4 to shower in the morning.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank jessica123456789
Reviewed July 19, 2010

As others have written Chestnut Hill is a gorgous area. You can walk into town and shop, or you can walk to the near by Fairmount Park and go hiking. No complaints there. Our complaint is with the hospitality of the Silverstone B&B. Yolanta, whom I assumed was going to be the hostess for the weekend because she never told me otherwise, asked me to call to let her know my arrival. I called at 2pm and said I would be there at 2:30pm and she told me she would be there to greet us. We arrived, and came in the side door, since she had told me earlier that this was okay, and was instead greeted by a nice girl named Sofi. She was using skyp at the time, I think, so maybe this is why she didn't explain that she would be cooking for us and a little more about staying there, etc. She takes us up-stairs to our room, and then shows us a map of the area since I ask how close town is. Later, Yolanta comes to our room and asks us for the cash (if you pay cash you save 10%). She greeted us warmingly, but this was the only interaction with her the entire time. There was no explaination that Sofi would be cooking for us, and what her relationship was to Yolanta (I assumed she was the daughter). I just wished they were a little more forth coming with information. Our room was very clean and nice, but our bed didn't end up being a tempur-pedic mattress which they advertise on the website. Also, our bathroom was not in the room, but down the hall. Yolanta did tell us however that it was our own personal bathroom. I slept fine regardless, although there was noise coming up from up-stairs. I found out later that a younger boy who said his brother and brother's fiance were staying there, so it was probably all of them together. I am still confused to how everyone is related. He is also the one that told me Sofi was helping this weekend, so I'm guess that Sofi was the help and working for Yolanta. Anyways, there was internet downstairs on a slow computer (there is wireless but you need to get the code from the computer downstairs), but we had to figure out this for ourselves, because again they weren't very forth coming with information and making us comfortable. For breakfast, Sofi offered us eggs, either a spinage and cheese sramble or omlete. Waffles were not offered, which Yolanta said they served. The eggs were delicious though, and since I don't eat a really big breakfast it was perfect for me. My husband enjoyed the eggs but was still hungrey. He had toast, fresh fruit, OJ, coffee and also cereal that is all laid out for you to serve yourself. I was very happy that we could have checked-in early as noon, and check-out at noon the next day. This allowed us to have breakfast, go on a hike in the humidity and have time to shower before we left for the day.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LauraEEastWindsor_NJ
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Located in upscale Chestnut Hill neighborhood of Philadelphia the Silverstone is a large stone mansion built in the late 1800's. The B & B is moments away from the train station and by car on a couple of minutes away from the heart of Chestnut Hill. This means it's easy to get to downtown Phillie by public transport and easy to go to multiple great restaurants in the neighborhood.
The rooms are large, sunny, air-conditioned/heated. They each have a bathroom. Everything is very clean. There is a television in each room and wireless internet access. There is an elevator. Towels, shampoos etc are on hand for guests.
Staff consists of Yolanda and her husband, owners of the place. They have someone come in on weekends and help with breakfast. Breakfast is served every morning from 730-930 and consists of eggs (your way), toast, waffles, fresh fruit, juice, cereal, coffee and tea. Very nice food.
The house is in a quiet neighborhood. The B & B seems to cater to families and adults. There is a dedicated full kitchen area for guests to use for meal preparation and storage. This is a nice bonus.
I love this place. It's a Victorian gem at a good price.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Karen L
Reviewed November 29, 2008

we 3 girlfriends found this beautiful home to stay in for 4 nights while sightseeing all around philly. we stayed here for our car visits to valley forge, ft. mifflin, amish country, and shopping. anything we needed or asked for : yolanta (owner) gave us with a smile. annie and ula made us breakfast in the morning and it was delicious and plenty(we can eat!) . there is internet service and we even came home to home baked strudel one night!

we ended our trip by moving into the city for a hotel but during our stay at silverstone we took a taxi at night to see nightlife in philly although the train station is very near. we are kind of lazy.

free parking and other friendly guests made this a fun part of our trip. we would highly recommend this place and would stay again. thanks yolanta!

• Stayed: November 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Donnarae8
Reviewed August 11, 2008

We stayed here for 3 nights...we arrived about 4pm but no one was home ( which was a bit strange) so we had to go away and get some shopping...when we got back, we still had to wait but eventually the maid came and she let us in...there was obviously some mistake with the booking as we booked a double bed and 2 twin beds but instead we got 2 double beds and we were on 2 seperate levels...it was me and my brother and my mum and dad and me and my brother definately weren't going to share a bed...there was a sofa bed in our room but it was really sqeaky and not that comfortable...apart from these problems the area was really nice and really convienent for the train to philadelphia as it was a 2 minute walk away...it was also close to a supermarket and the main part where there are lots of restuarants and a really nice state park...the breakfasts at the house were really nice and when we finally met Yolanta (as she didn't turn up until the next evening which i thought was a bit strange) she was really accomidating and nice...the house also had a washer/dryer which was really useful for us...
Overall i would have given it a bigger mark if it wasn't for the problems but it made up for it with the location and breakfasts and facilities

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank mona39
Also consider these accommodations in or near Philadelphia
Chestnut Hill
The Gables Bed and Breakfast
#1 of 25 in Philadelphia
City Center West
La Reserve Center City Bed and Breakfast

Been to Silverstone Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!