“Great for those taking Step 2 CS”

Cornerstone Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #3 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Great for those taking Step 2 CS”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I picked Cornerstone because it was the closest and cheapest option for my USMLE Step 2 CS exam. However, I didn't notice how much I lucked out when I managed to get a reservation because I was in for quite a treat! The propery is very well maintained and the rooms exactly like the pictures posted on the website. Also, since so many students for CS pass through they are pretty knowledgeable about the exam. I was provided a very clear map with directions on how to get to the exam center which is lierally a 10 minute walk down the street. The "Continental Breakfast" was the best continental breakfast I've ever seen (homemade scones, homemade muffins, fresh strawberries, blueberries and kiwis!) and I'm interested in what their "Full Breakfast" on the weekend is like. I stayed in Franklin which has a separate private bathroom down the hall. It wasn't too inconvenient to walk there to use the bathroom. If I had to reach for a complaint - it would be that there isn't very much lighting in the room. I like my room bright for studying and I had to move one of the lamps closer for me to sit at the desk and read. But seriously, this is very minor and overall my experience was great. I will try to stay there again if I interview in Philly - even if it's not the cheapest or closest because Cornerstone was that great!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank DrBonster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Mission Viejo
Reviewed September 16, 2011

Dropping my son off at Drexel (his dorm was literally one block away - we brought the cart down and walked to move in). Beautifully maintained property owned by kind, caring people. Dennis, Chris and Liz make you feel like family within minutes. Plenty of street parking available (even with school starting). Highly recommend!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank AnnieMV
South East Asia
Reviewed September 12, 2011

It started with timely and personal reservation service from Chris...and the rest followed! The building is historic and well maintained. Really get a feel of historic Philadelphia yet with all the modern amenities. The rooms were exactly as shown on the website and the breakfast was ample. And the owner was able to join us with very useful information about the surrounding area. Everyone wished that the stay was longer! Thank you and hope to see you soon.

Room Tip: As for rooms, they have enough of a selection depending on how many people are traveling and most ar...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank CKC5
Stony Brook, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for the night before I had to take a national exam. For those of you who are medical students, I took the USMLE Step 2 CS. This place is right down the street from the testing center. As soon as we arrived, they welcomed us and provided a map on how to get to my testing site. I was pretty nervous for the exam, but this was the perfect place to stay because it was very comfortable and made you feel at home. The rooms were very clean and outstandingly maintained while still keeping to its classic appearance. Breakfast was pleasant and delicious and they have an extensive knowledge of the Step 2 exam because of other students who came through before, which kind of made me feel better. Considering how awful the test is, I think that that is quite remarkable. For anyone visiting Philadelphia, it's near everything you want to see and a lovely place to add to your experience. For those taking Step 2 CS, it is the perfect place to stay to take the edge off. They are happy to let you leave your stuff there until you are done with the test.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank Chris S
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed August 21, 2011

Our room was great, small but very cozy and the bed was very very comfortable. I couldn't remember the last time I was able to get a really good night's sleep away from home. The owners were very friendly and accommodating. If you ever need tips on which places to visit in Philly and where the great restaurants are..don't hesitate to ask them. If I ever come back to Philly, I'll definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: If you're taking the USMLE, don't forget to mention this when you're getting a room--the...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Sar_0729
Fkorida
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This was a very good option in contrast to staying in a hotel, home like feeling. Free parking and walking distance to and from U Penn was a plus. The owners are nice, friendly and helpful. Free coffee and tea was a plus. Breakfast wasn't great, but good value for overall price and no hidden fees.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank dr_ashishg
Hershey, PA
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Two years ago my family treated my mother to an overnight stay in Philadelphia for her 70th birthday. The trip was a secret surprise and all we told my mother to do was pack and enjoy the journey. We stayed at the Cornerstone Bed and Breakfast, which turned out to be a terrific choice. Heralded on TripAdvisor as the #2 B&B out of 26 in Philly, it resides on a side-street within blocks of the University of Pennsylvania, Drexel University, restaurants, shops, Art Museum, Schuylkill River, and Fairmount Park. And the subway stop is a short walk away, which connects within minutes to center city Philly, Penn’s Landing, and everything in between.

This past weekend I participated in the Merrell Down & Dirty Mud Run and several friends who had planned to join me, along with places I had hoped to stay, fell through, so at the last minute my buddy David, who accompanied me to help support and shoot photos while I raced, and I chose Cornerstone. It turned out to be just three miles down river from the race in Fairmount Park. Perfect location. Nice suite with a large bedroom, bathroom, and living room with a pull-out bed with an air mattress that lost some air during the night, but was still comfy. Saturday breakfast was delicious homemade blueberry pancakes, sausage, and a special request egg white omelet made to order. And to top it off, the decor is elegant and has an interesting history: it was once owned by a relative of Maxfield Parrish, one of my favorite artists.

The hosts are Dennis and Liz, their daughter Jules, and her husband Chris. Chris and their three kids also ran in the race. They were all amazingly friendly and accommodating. The rooms clean and fresh. The wrap-around front porch inviting and restful.

I whole-heartedly recommend Cornerstone. If you stay there, tell them Kevyn sent you. And be sure to join the family on the porch with a cup of tea or coffee, or a glass of wine or beer.

Room Tip: The University Room is one of my favorites, but if you can handle quaint, narrow, steep stairs, go f...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends