“Propaganda”

Ranked #26 of 471 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Constitution Center is the first and only nonprofit, nonpartisan institution devoted to the U.S. Constitution and its legacy of freedom. Located two blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Historic Philadelphia, the Center illuminates constitutional ideals and inspires active citizenship as a state-of-the-art museum, a civic education hub and America's Town Hall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The less brainwashed among us will find the introductory show "Freedom Rising" propaganda of the most insulting-to-the-intelligence kind. A clever concept (really) having an actress narrate, but oh.. the execution! Cue swelling patriotic music at the cheesy finale. I was cringing in my seat imagining how this self-congratulatory spiel would play to a foreign audience. Never was I so embarrassed to be an American.

The rest of the exhibit was OK but probably only if you're a history buff.

The building is gorgeous with a great view of Independence Hall. I can't help but think it was built more for its potential as a banqueting venue than anything else. The building was better than its contents.

5  Thank FlushingNyCarly
Write a ReviewReviews (1,341)
All reviews
in 14 reviews
"on display"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed May 14, 2010

I had never heard of this place before attending a workshop there. Now I'll be sure to tell everyone about it. This is a venue for thinking people, or for people who want to challenge their intellect. Now that may not sound like something that you'd be jumping to do on vacation, but believe me, visit here and you'll come away refreshed.

I follow current affairs and national events pretty closely and have a good understanding of our country's history and government, but I learned something new and was newly inspired around every corner here. The place was full of kids the day I visited and they all seemed to be engaged and active in the exhibits. I hope they were picking up information and not just enjoying the fancy AV.

The Rome and America exhibit there in 2010 is especially good at drawing parallels between this ancient republic and our young republic. Having been to Italy several times, I was impressed with the number of artifacts that this exhibit included.

Visit the Constitution Center and you'll have a renewed appreciation for the incredible document that is the U.S. Constitution and the men who conceived it.

Reviewed March 28, 2010

The introductory presentation and film were not only effective in acclimating you to what you were about to see, but also quite moving, and I'm not a particularly patriotic or political person. The main exhibit does require a lot of reading, but if you're up to the task, you'll be rewarded. There are a few interactive exhibits that older kids might enjoy, such as taking the oath of office and voting for your favorite president.

I wouldn't recommend the NCC for people with small children, those with short attention spans or little interest in history and government. We read pretty much everything there was to read (we did not opt for the Rome exhibit add-on), and were able to cover the place in 2-1/2 hours.

1  Thank Mitch-n-Greg
Reviewed March 18, 2010

My 17 year old and I visited Philadelphia for several days and saw all of the sights-- this was his favorite place we visited. Lots of neat exhibits and the "Freedom Rising" show is outstanding. Although younger children might enjoy the show, this place is really geared more towards older children (10 and up) and adults. They do a good job of making the history and issues come alive. Technology is used in many of the exhibits, making it especially teen friendly. We really enjoyed getting to cast our vote for the best president and on current issues of the day, and learned a lot with the thorough coverage on constitutional challenges through the years.

1  Thank EconMom