“A "must do" for history buffs”

National Constitution Center
Ranked #18 of 457 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Constitution Center is the first and only nonprofit, nonpartisan institution devoted to the U.S. Constitution and its legacy of freedom. Located two blocks from Independence Hall and the Liberty Bell in Historic Philadelphia, the Center illuminates constitutional ideals and inspires active citizenship as a state-of-the-art museum, a civic education hub and America's Town Hall.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 25, 2013

History buffs will spend hours here...the rest of us will appreciate this place for it's architecture, displays, and a room with bronze life-size statues of all the 39 signers of the Constitution (and the 3 who refused). I even signed the Constitution and have a photo to prove it.

There are newer reviews for National Constitution Center

Reviewed June 22, 2013

That presentation with the live narrator always gets me! We've been here twice with a span of a few years between visits and were pleased to see the center has been maintained (physically) and updated to reflect current events. Our two kids, ages 7 and 9, had a lot of fun here and learned a lot. The good stuff: museum staff was super helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable (especially the young man hosting the presidential trivia game!); many of the exhibits were highly interactive and ideal for our young children (and the text-heavy exhibits mean that we'll have new things to see and do when we return and they are older); taking the oath of office with the chief justice; the room of statues depicting everyone who was part of the Continental Congress; the special exhibit called "1968."
This was a special treat and a great day in Philadelphia--a great way to learn about history in the place where it all happened!

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The new exhibit, "The 60's" was excellent and is there through early September. It was a great trip back in time and my children laughed as my husband and I compared stories of our youth prompted by the displays. This is a great place to visit.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our time in this museum started with a narrated program, coupled with media highlights. The narrator was awesome! However, the only topic that repeated itself many times was the issue of slavery. I left the room, not really learning anything. I guess my expectations were "off". I thought we'd learn about the Constitution and its history. Instead, the few displays covered the issues of womens' rights to vote, civil rights, end to slavery, invention of the telegram, and an invitation to Obama's inauguration. The main idea they are promoting is that the Constitution is changing and we are it's future. I really wasn't into hear that propaganda. I just wanted to see a bit of history. In regards to cost, I heard a man behind me asking his wife, totally confused, what's here to see? What did we pay all this money for? I agree!!! If you want history well-preserved and respected, go to Boston!

6  Thank OrlandoRachel
Reviewed June 11, 2013

National Constitution Center is located at 525 Arch St. one block north of Independence Visitors Center. It's open 9:30 AM until 5 PM. There is a charge. Interactive displays are located on the upper level. Spend a little time with the signers (life size statues). Also, there is a show given by a single performer - entrance on the lower level.