“It's a Staute”

Ranked #34 of 445 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Famous fictional Heavyweight Champion "Rocky" is forever remembered in this bronze statue, which pays tribute to the underdog.
New York City, New York
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“It's a Staute”
Reviewed November 16, 2013

While in Philly, my husband wanted to see the Rocky Statue. It took us forever to get there, then their was a line just to get a picture with the statue. We took our pictures at the statue and that's it. We had more fun on the stairs that "Rocky" ran up on.

• Czech first
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Go Rocky”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is a must. The staircase from Rocky at the Museum of Art is beautiful. Recreate the famous run or snap a photo with the Statue. You're family will have a good time either way. Our son loved running the stairs and he has no idea who Rocky is. It is amazing the impact that this fictional charter had on this city. It is part of the history and the views and people here prove it. Well worth the trip for a free attraction…even if you don't know who Rocky is.

Oak Ridge, New Jersey
427 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 735 helpful votes
“More than just a "movie prop"”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I thought it was funny to see the above description among the (minimal) negative critiques of this statue. It was a prop, but not really any more than was the Museum of Art or the rest of Philadelphia. The movie(s) made an indelible contribution to Philadelphia culture and tourism. You can't visit the museum without seeing others re-creating the stair run, or the pose, or posing with the statue; and some of these people came to the museum primarily for that purpose.
Is it art? The snobs may say no, but they ignore the simple truth - Art, in it's simplest definition, is any sensory stimulant (Usually aural or visual) that evokes an emotional/intellectual response, whether positive or negative. It is hard to argue that this statue is less art than "The Thinker" a short distance away. If nothing else, it is more accurate in form and appearance to the model.
Anyway, steer away from the pseudo-intellectual debate over what is art and accept the statue for what it is - an innocently fun thing to see that doesn't take much time from your day or any money from your pocket, as long as you don't pay the local entrepreneurs to take your picture.

London, United Kingdom
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“The Rock”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

As I was in Philadelphia for the day I took the chance to get my photo with the statue. Having seen it in the films it was great to see it for real. I should say I ventured out to the sports stadium which isn't where this is - it's actually outside the Museum of Art - I'd hate for anyone to make the same mistake as they are not anywhere near each other. Anyhow, the statue is just at the bottom of the steps by the museum about 15 mins walk North of Penn Station.
As a lot of people have mentioned there are locals hanging about offering to take pics. It's a shame really, as I felt it was a bit intimidating when all I wanted was to take a photo myself being hassled. Anyhow, I took a couple of pics of for other tourists and got my photo too.

1 Thank Paul W
Williamstown, Massachusetts
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Yo Adrian”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Absolutely a must while Philadelphia! Was in town to watch an Eagles came, and had to make this stop with my son before leaving. Lucky for us it was a Monday and no line was there. Just a couple local guys, offering to take your pic with your camera for some change . We opted out of that when the group that just left had to come back to take another set of photo's as, they men offering to take pics, apparently were not very good at it.
Then the run up the stairs to the top ( ok, so I walked) But while we were there snapping pics, a bus load of young students pulled up, and there was a race to the top. It was nice to see that this group of people born after this movie came out still knew of the famous run up the stairs.

Visited October 2013