“When we first arrived, there was a...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #47 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Winston-Salem, NC
“When we first arrived, there was a...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2010

When we first arrived, there was a problem with our rewards reservation. Monisha at the front desk went above and beyond to help us get our reservations in order. Everyone at the hotel was so courteous and helpful. I'll admit that, normally, my husband and I go to "cheaper" hotels, but our experience at the Hilton has made us reevaluate that practice!

• Stayed September 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Waverly, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2010

I check in on Jul 3rd room 408 and the a/c did not work. They ran around and tried to find a fuse box. When we left to go out two hours later they still had not gotton the a/c working. We return back to the hotel and the room was and the a/c was not working. We had to ask for another room. We move at 12:00 at night with small sleeping kids. House keeping service never came to our room. We had to keep the same trash in our room for two days that was bad. I had to call three times for clean towels. Your front desk was no help at all, I did not enjoy my stay. I will not stay again!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Horsham, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2010

Came to attend a family wedding on Saturday June 26th. We should have been able to check in at 3:00. We arrived a little before 3:00 hoping since the wedding was going to be held at the hilton and that we had reserved are rooms so far in advance that we would be able to check in earlier. No such luck!!! We did not get into our room until 4:15 and the reception was at 6:00. It was a very hot day, there were three other people getting ready in our room, and now we had less then two hours to get ready...talk about being stressed. But I guess it could have been worst, my neice who was in the bridal party did not get into her room till after 5:00.... did I mentioned that wedding was at 6:00??

OH one other thing the air conditioner in our room did not work. it felt like 95 in our room...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Welcome1234
Tenafly, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2010

My wife and two young children (11 and 4) just spent a Saturday night at the Hilton. It was centrally located for an event we were going to just outside the City and also had very good access into the City. The lobby and public areas were beautiful and looked to have been recently renovated. We spent some time in the pool which was clean and warm, but a little small. When 2 other families joined us there, it got crowded. But, it was nice to have for the kids to play. The room was nicely appointed, updated and clean. The bathroom was also in good shape but small. The only real complaint I had was that the beds were doubles (i.e. full size) as opposed to queens, though very comfortable! If you are with 2 kids, it is a bit tight as it was also for my wife and me as well. I was disappointed as queen size beds have become the standards in hotels and I thought this was a major shortcoming. This alone might make me consider not staying there again. Though, the staff was outstanding and made our stay a pleasure. The valet parking at $10 for your car with unlimited access was well worth it. The front desk staff, housekeeping and bellmen were top notch always willing to help and friendly. When we left, we needed to store our bags while we had breakfast. But, rather than just hold them in a storage room, the bellman put them in our car and had our car parked in front of the hotel . This was convenient when we were ready to leave. We got the breakfast buffet package with kids eating free which I highly recommed as well. At a savings of $15 per person off the standard charge for that, it was a good deal. The buffet had all the usual breakfast foods plus made to order omelletes, fresh fruit and home baked pastries and croissants. The coffee was fresh and good as well Overall a very pleasant stay at a very nice hotel. When we departed it was only a few blocks to the entrance to I76 so we were easily on our way home!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank DShluf
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night in May 2010. Thank god it was only for 1 night because you can hear EVERYTHING from your room. We heard baby crying, car noise from outside, people taking shower, people talking in the hall way, and etc. I've stayed at many hotels and I know you are bound to hear some noises when staying at hotels but this was probably one of the noiest hotel I've stayed in by far. There are many people walking around late at night and I'm assuming it's becasue this hotel is being booked a lot for "events" such as weddings. I heard a lady talking very loud (waking most hotel guests along the way to her room probably) walking by our room at 2 AM. Some people just are too ignorant to know what it is to be courteous. I'm glad that we used our Hilton Hhonors reward points to stay here and not actually paid for it.

Outside: Looked a bit old. So-so looking.

Lobby: Old style marble floor but otherwise clean and nice.

Check-in/out: Check-in was done fast and pain-less. We were off to our room on the 6th floor in a few minutes. Our room number was odd number. Rom was facing a reservoir in front of the building which was good (well at least that's what we thought before we heard car noises at night). Check-out was done using the tv so again fast and pain-less.

Room: Looks like they did "partial" remodeling. All the furnitures (headboard, night stand, chest, lamps, and desk) were old, yet chest had brand new black granite on top. Carpet was somewhat modern style but ceiling had one of those old style splatter texture. There was only 1 electric outlet on the desk. I didn't bring my laptop this time (since we were only away for a night and I had my blackberry so) but if I had all my "gadgets", I don't think having only 1 outlet would've been very convenient. They had a coffee machine and 2 coffee packets. One odd thing I noticed was that this room did not have any mirror (they had one in the bathroom but not in the room itself). Perhaps they thought, having mirror door for the closet area by the door was enough? Still, I found it a bit uncomfortable not having any mirror in the room. Other hotels usually have one by the desk area. No fridge in the room but I read that you can ask for one for a fee (it was $12 or $15 I think).

Bathroom: This is the smallest bathroom I've ever seen in the hotels on the same level as Hilton (so I'm talking Marriott, Hyatt, Westin, and etc.). Two adults cannot use the sink at the same time and me and my hubby both are really on the skinny side. Again, I noticed "partial" remodeling done here too. The sink area (granite counter top, new faucets, new mirror) and tiles on the floor seemed modern. But bathtub area was another story. Bathtub itself was old and again on the smaller side. The tile by the bathtub was one of those cheapest white tiles. It showed mildew between the tiles as well. There was a metal towel rack by the tub and it was pretty rusty. The ammenities they had were shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, body lotion, 2 soaps, and hair-dryer. Bathroom door looked like it's been painted many times over.

Dining: We only had breakfast at the hotel (about $15 per person). Breakfast buffet was good. Made-to-order omelet, waffle, fruits (about 4-5 different kinds), various bakery items (muffins, croissants, and etc), freshly squeezed orange juice, cereal, oatmeal, smoked salmon, cheese tray, meat items (bacon & sausage), potato, and etc.

Service: Most workers we enountered seemed nice. We didn't have to ask for anything or have any issues so that's about all I can say about their service.

Pool: They have a heated indoor pool. But they do not have a whirlpool which was a bit disappointing. Workout area looked ok but we didn't actually used the facility.

Overall, this was definitely not the worst hotel (or even close to it) I've stayed but I would not go back to this hotel or recommend to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ck1220
Havertown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2010

We started planning our daughter's wedding in January 2009 and the entired experience was stress free. The planner for the event, the room reservationist, the guest relations, captains and staff. It was a relaxing experience and our guests are still raving about the service. Everyone's accomodations were met, every reservation for rooms made and the service impecable. We wanted to do it all over again, we had so much fun. My daughter felt like a princess with the attention that was shown her that day. Thanks Randy, Kris and everyone, you did a fabulous job.

• Stayed April 2010
Sioux City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2010

My stay was very nice. The room attendent took care of my room so after a hard day at work I came back to my room : tidy, clean and comfy.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business