“Would not recommend!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Cross River, NY
“Would not recommend!”
Reviewed March 17, 2007

Booked a room w/two queens for a family Bat Mitzvah weekend. Upon arrival at 4pm (check in is at 3pm), they tried to give us a filthy room with two doubles instead. We agreed to wait an extra hour or two for the "queen" room to become available. We called the hotel at 6pm, and were told that the room was available, and our luggage would be put in the room (it wasn't). Upon our arrival back at the hotel at 10:30, it then took 30 minutes to bring us with our luggage to our room.

This room was not as disgusting as the first, but there was hair (not ours) in the bathroom, and some kind of orange glop on the lampshade. The next morning (around 9am), we showed the head of housekeeping the lampshade, and asked that it be removed. We were gone all day, and arrived back at the hotel at 4pm, to find that not only had our room not yet been cleaned, but the lampshade was still there. Absolutely disgusting.

The hotel itself is pretty, the rooms are ok - although the blankets and bedspreads are typical, cheap & basic - the kind you hate to touch. The only positive aspects of the hotel were the bellman and the food. Breakfast and dinner at the steak house were both very good.

Would not stay there again if you paid me.

• Liked — Food
  • Disliked — Service & lack of cleanliness
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Jo_Ku

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Maryland
Reviewed February 23, 2007

I have to travel to the area once every few months, and unfortunately this is one of the only hotels in the area near my company.

The hotel has gone down hill quickly over the past year. The rooms are dirty from the bathroom, to the carpet, to the beds. The televisions and phones are old as dirt and they charge you an arm and a leg for everything.

The last time I stayed I had to change rooms twice because the carpet was filty and the bed had been partially made up.

The one positive is the valet and room service is good.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

New York
Reviewed November 12, 2006

I have to go to Bala Cynwyd for business a few times a year and this Hilton is the only one in that neighborhood. Most of the time, my experience there is neutral to good. I've grown quite fond of the breakfast buffet...

However, it is a very old hotel and many features show their age. Their TVs are old and make a very loud buzzing sound everytime and in one of the rooms, it was so loud I had to switch rooms to watch TV.

My favorite (and I mean that sarcastically) experience was the night I had to switch rooms 3 times for various reasons. One of the rooms I was in didn't have a deadbolt and when I called front desk the manager came up to check it out for himself and pretty much accused me of stealing it.

The service is fairly reliable and I especially think highly of their bellhop staff. But if I didn't have to, I wouldn't stay there.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank AccidentalTouristNYC
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed October 6, 2006

Was there for a two-day meeting and did not enjoy my stay for several reasons.
First is the location. Forget about it being in Philadelphia. It is as remote from downtown as geographically possible. City Line Avenue itself is the boundary where Greater Philadelphia stops. The other side of the street from the hotel is not Phili anymore!
Their statement on their website that it "is minutes from the sites and attractions of historic downtown Philadelphia, PA and just a short drive from 30th Street Amtrak Station and the Philadelphia Int'l Airport " is false advertising… Well, unless you consider that few minutes away means at least 30 mns from downtown. Short drive to the Phili airport? Maybe, unless you happen to take a commercial hotel shuttle there. Folks in my conference who did, had to endure a 2h tour of the downtown city hotels before getting to their destination! Best take a cab and pay the extra $15!

The website also states that it "is recognized as one of the most luxurious and exquisite hotels offering unmatched elegance and impeccable service in Philadelphia, PA". I wonder who recognized that? A few folks from a deaf, dumb and blind convention? This place is just one step above an average run of the mill motel. Rooms are standard fare for any hotel and well below the usual standard for a Hilton. Don’t even get me started about their so called gym! Check-in was disorganized and lengthy. The staff was busier convincing folks to use the self check-in machines than helping people actually check in!

If you don't have a car or willing to fork out for cabs, forget it. Nothing within walking distance except for a Subway. If you are willing to walk downhill for 20mns, you can reach a Wendy and some other mediocre chain restaurants. Don't forget you have to walk back uphill! I tried their Polo Lounge on one rainy day and was extremely disappointed. Yes, it quickly got packed but my party was there first and placed their order promptly. I waited for 30mns for my Phili cheesesteak only to find out they forgot my order! When I finally got it 10 mns later- taken away from another poor soul, I am sure- the sandwich was overcooked and the fries soggy! Other members in my party did not suffer as much but no one was satisfied. We unanimously decided to leave no tip whatsoever!

I would avoid this hotel unless you are forced to attend a meeting there. Then keep the above in mind!

• Liked — Relatively cheap price
  • Disliked — Location, food, service
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid!
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled on business
5 Thank Docsam
Long Island
Reviewed April 20, 2006

I've stayed at this hotel quite a few times on business. From a physical perspective, it's an older facility that has been maintained reasonably well. The furnishings in some of the rooms are pretty tired and the carpet in many of the rooms is in dire need of a thorough cleaning.

In terms of the staff, some are very pleasant but myself and other members of my team have had several notable bad experiences ranging from the front desk to the host at the steak house, which has pretty good food but terribly slow service, by the way.

I would probably rate this place a 3...just your typical middle of the road Hilton...well suited for business travelers. Unfortunately, I feel I must rate it a 1. The problem is that we've been staying at this hotel going on 9 months now and at least one of the members of my party has spotted a mouse on each of our visits, so it's obviously not an isolated problem...nor is it one that any member of the staff has seemed surprised...or even remotely concerned about when brought to their attention. Typically, they've been spotted in the bar area when dining late at night after a long day in the office. However, on our last trip, we spotted one in the morning in the kitchen of the steak house, which they use to prepare eggs for the complimentary breakfast, that now is only sometimes complimentary.

I've since been avoiding this place whenever possible...but at my firm we don't always get a choice where we stay when traveling to see clients...so at some point I'm sure I will be back. I can assure you that I won't be eating there, however.

Interestingly enough, years back I was a big fan of the Hilton chain...but several bad experiences sent me over to the Marriott and I haven't looked back. This is the first Hilton I've stayed at in probably 5 years and it certainly doesn't make me want to give any others a try. In the area, I've also stayed at both the Marriott and the Courtyard Marriott downtown, as well as the Residence Inn in Conshohocken. All 3 facilities were much cleaner and had more consistently pleasant staff.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank Island_Hopper
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 3, 2005

We used this hotel for a business meeting and needless to say we'll never go there again. First of all they switched the sales managers, then I had problems due to our client base and they wouldn't even try to accomdate the problem we were having. The sales manager I was working with was not very responsive. When I finally got her supervisor he was also not responsive to our problem. Later on they recontacted us about the dates and had our original contract rather than the revised contract. I finally get the bill and they didn't even take off our deposit we made for the room. Needless to say, I will never use this hotel again for any kind of business purposes.

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 25, 2005

After a long shuttle ride from the airport (would take a taxi next time), I checked in to this hotel at about 9pm. The person at the front desk was friendly and helpful and told me that I would still have some time to order room service as I hadn't yet eaten and it was getting late. I went up to my room to find towels, hangars, etc. scattered everywhere. Obviously, the room wasn't ready for me. After going back down to the desk to get another room and key and back up to a new room, I couldn't find a menu. (I did, however, find two sets of hotel stationary.) I called for a new menu and then called to order. I was told that the kitchen had closed 10 minutes earlier and had to retell the whole story to get myself some dinner. The food was excellent and the rest of my stay was relatively uneventful, but it wasn't a good start...

• Stayed October 2005, traveled on business