“Very elegant hotel, but far from Center City”

Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dover, New Hampshire
“Very elegant hotel, but far from Center City”
Reviewed February 20, 2009

When I booked this room, I was under the impression that it was "a short drive to the 30th Street Amtrak Station." I did read other reviews on Trip Advisor, however, to prepare myself. I arrived by train and took a taxi to the hotel. It cost me around $20 to get from the 30th Street Amtrak Station to the hotel. This told me I would not be going back and forth to the hotel and Center City, as I have done when staying at other properties in Philly in the past.

I have to say that I was very happy with the elegance of the hotel. A door man greets you and welcomes you inside. Large crystal chandeliers were everywhere. There was even a grand piano in the lobby. The front desk staff was very accomodating. They made me feel very welcome. I did not use them but you could access a bar as well as a restaurant from the lobby. I was very pleased with my room. The beds were very comfortable and the room had a nice flat screen television. There was a desk area with a very comfortable chair. Room service was available, but I did not use it. I did look at the menu and prices are what you expect from a high scale hotel. My room was located on the 10th floor. I believe there are 12 floors at this hotel.

There is a gym nearby as well as a gas station and a strip mall. I should also say that the Hilton also has a little gift shop near the front desk.

Overall, I was very impressed with the Hitlon Philadelphia City Avenue. I was only disappointed with its location to Center City. There may have been an easire way to get there (bus, SEPTA) but I did not have time to explore how to use them. I was in Philly for only a couple days. I was used to staying at other hotels, on past visits, that were much closer to Center City and the historical attractions, and did a lot of walking. This is a wonderful hotel. The concierge was extremely helpful when I checkrd-out. He called me a cab and told me I would make my train's departure in plenty of time. This hotel is very elegant and I do recommend staying here. Do not think it is close to Center City, however, or the historical attractions because you will be surprised. I wouldn't recommend this property for anyone visiting Philly for the first time because the taxi rides are expensive (unless you know of the bus routes and SEPTA).

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank stevienixfanmike

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York
Reviewed November 11, 2008

Visit started off well with a hello from doorman Herman but went downhill from their. Check- in was slow. Room requested was not ready. We were switched to a lesser room.
The front desk staff not particularly welcoming and in fact except for Herman, staff attitude from bar to breakfast chef was not friendly. We were in town for a wedding and a friend also staying at the hotel had a similar experience. Perhaps the staff is overworked and underpaid, anyway it showed .
Room was just ok. Queen bed, nothing special, tired looking.
Parking was down the street is in a public lot. Bar prices were excessive - $7 beer! Room value received for amount paid was poor.
If in the area (St. Joseph's University) I would not stay here again. Try the Homewood Suites next door.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — Staff attitude
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ConfederateNewYork

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

NY State
Reviewed November 10, 2008

We were directed to this Hilton by the staff of Philadelphia University, where our daughter was taking a college tour. Like other reviewers, I was concerned about staying at this property, based on reading other reviews. However, our family ONLY wants to stay in 100% smoke free properties, so we took a chance. I have to say that we really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. We stayed on the executive level, which offers a continental breakfast daily, as well as cocktails and snacks in the late afternoon. The staff in the executive lounge were all friendly and helpful and the food and beverages were all refreshed throughout the time is was open.

Our room was supposed to have 2 queen beds. I believe the beds were double beds. However, we checked in late and we really didn't want to bother switching rooms. The rest of the room and the comfort of the beds made up for the size difference. Housekeeping promptly brought foam pillows to our room when we requested them, as one of us has a feather allergy (and the housekeeper wore gloves so his bare hands were not touching the pillows).The bathroom had Crabtree and Evelyn toiletries.

The only issue we had was our room keys didn't work when we returned from being out for the day (and you need this key to have the elevator go to the executive floor). A Hilton staffer happened to get on the elevator when we discovered this. She politely escorted us up to our room, tested the keys, and the promptly had new keys made for us and personally delivered them to us.

We opted for the valet parking as it just made our life easier. After staying in California, $10 a day seems like a deal!

• Liked — Attentive staff, comfort of room
  • Disliked — A little far from downton Philly
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveln_Momma
Bolivar MO
Reviewed September 18, 2008

After reading several reviews on this hotel I did not have high expectations. Me and business partners would be staying there for four nights on a business trip. The hotel staff was very generous and helpful in every way. My room was not one of the newer rooms but it was still very pleasant and comfy. It was clean, which is very appreciated by my colleagues and I. We were very close to our on-site work location as well as places to eat, shop, and relax. Delmonico's Steakhouse had a wonderful breakfast every morning. The selection was incredible and the food was delicious. I do not regret attending every morning for cooked to order bar. I did not have a chance to use the pool facilities but the fitness room was adequate for working off my morning omelets and waffles! I would stay again at this hotel and recommend it to any travelers heading to Philly.

• Liked — The breakfast selection
  • Disliked — The traffic
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank CliquotFisher
Dayton, OH
Reviewed May 17, 2008

Recently spent three nights at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue. Flew into Philadephia International and drove to the hotel around 8PM. Not familiar with Philadelphia but had not problem finding it as it was expressway almost the entire way. Front desk was very pleasant for check-in and we were given hot pretzels. We stayed on the Hilton Honors floor and when we found the room very clean. There were three of us traveling and the room came with two double beds and not queens. Also, the room was cramped with three pieces of luggage and the closet was small.

Hotel has two parking options one is $10 day for valet service or $5 self parking. We were told that the $5 would be charged every time you left the garage however the valet did not have this restriction. Picked the valet parking and we were in and out many times and they were always prompt and courteous.

We had the buffet breakfast in the restaurant and found it to be comparable to other Hilton's we stay at. We had access to the Exectuive Lounge and enjoyed the drinks and snacks in the late afternoon.

The hotel was very crowded during our stay as there was a nearby college graduation and a regatta the same weekend. This may have been the reason that housekeeping did not get to the room till after 3PM both days.

The hotel charges $9.99 for 24 hours of Internet access and also charges to use the computers in the business center. However, the concierge did print our airline boarding passes for no charge. Also used the concierge for a restaurant recommendation which turned out OK. He was pleasant to work with.

The work-out room is very nice and has all brand new equipment.

Hotel worked out fine for our trip and if had reason to go back to Philly would probably stay again.

• Liked — Friendly staff, Executive Lounge and Location
  • Disliked — Size of room and Internet Charges
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank BrownStreet
Mobile
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I am on the road at least 60% with my job. Normally I ask to stay in hilton honors chains because of the quality of the hotel and the great service. I will NEVER stay here again and would not recommend it to a friend. The staff was quite rude and the concierge knew nothing about the city of philadelphia - I was given a map and the advice to just "follow the signs". The hotel was undergoing construction and I asked to please be moved to another room. The hotel took over 3 days! Also, my room service order was lost.

• Liked — Close to work
  • Disliked — STAFF!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank jar8675309
San Francisco, California
Reviewed April 19, 2008

I stayed at this Hilton during a business trip. It was disappointing for a Hilton brand. The housekeeping standard is more like a motel rather than a hotel. The carpet was not vacuumed well. I had to call guest services early in the morning to bring toilet tissue since only a partial roll was left in the room on my first day of check-in.

The room had 2 queen beds and a 32-inch Flat Screen HDTV. The bed was very comfortable. The temperature control in the room worked well.

The staff were friendly. The valet service was very good.

In the lobby they had a daily fruit infused water and a fresh fruit basket for guests.

The food was good. The full service cold/hot breakfast buffet was included with the price of the room. We had dinner twice at the hotel in Delmonico's Steakhouse. It is pricey as one might expect with the Delmonico name. The soup, salads, steak and fish were all good.

If I were in the area again, I would probably stay at another hotel due to not having the room maintained to a level that matches the above average price.

• Liked — The daily fruit infused water and fruit basket in the lobby.
  • Disliked — The room housekeeping.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business