“Not Worth the Price”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Not Worth the Price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

The hotel room itself was mediocre, to say the least. Lots of rust spots in the bathroom on metal features, peeling picture frames, and just an all-around feeling of being too lived in. Shower leaked all over the bathroom floor, made it slippery. Slightly shabby. Bed was clean and comfy, at least.

We were there for a wedding, and I do need to commend the event staff - they were top notch. So was the bartender at the hotel bar. The cleaning staff that decided to try and walk into the room at 9AM? Not so much. No, we did not have the "Do Not Disturb" sign up, but you'd think a place like that would communicate better as far as who has or has not checked out yet. Or at least the staff could knock loudly and announce themselves before trying to open the door.

Parking is cheap. No complimentary breakfast, nor anything as far as amenities.

Don't get me wrong, the hotel is alright. However, they are presenting a 3-star hotel at a 4.5-star price - you can find better for the same price, or the same quality cheaper.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Brian S, General Manager at Hilton Philadelphia City Avenue, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you for your stay and I was pleased to read that your experience at the wedding was an enjoyable one. I am truly sorry that you were disturbed by the Housekeeping staff on the morning of your departure and that they did not knock loudly enough so as to be heard before entering your room. On high checkout mornings the Housekeeping staff will not aways know when the guest has checked out as a great many guests depart without informing the Front Desk that they are gone. I will be sharing your comments with all of the team members involved. Thank you and I do hope that you will choose the hotel again the next time you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

We were attending graduation of our grandson at St Charles-Borremeo Seminary, and this was very closeby. Do not expect free coffee, free parking, free breakfast, or free anything. This is NOT a Hampton Inn! It is a older hotel that has been updated as best they can. There are only two elevators, but they do operate at high-speed. The rooms have a small fridge, safe, iron, and ironing board. There is no mini-bar or microwave. The personnel are friendly, but tips are expected for every service. NO LOADING OF YOU OWN LUGGAGE ON CARTS is allowed! You MUST avail yourself of tolerating demanding bellhops. I made the mistake of taking a cart to retrieve our luggage from the lobby to our two rooms, but I was severely scolded for STEALING a cart. THEY HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR IT! You will be encouraged to use their valet parking service. Reject this notion at all costs! When you try to check-out there will be a long wait for your vehicle, as everyone, naturally, leave about the same time. OTOH, even if you manage to retrieve your vehicle without delay, the driveway is not large enough to accommodate more than a few vehicles at a time. I observed one patron fuming that he could not exit the driveway in his very expensive Tesla electric sportscar. The rooms are typical, nothing special. Comfortable, but not 4-star. The Internet connection is non-existent as far as I could tell. The "book" in the room suggested getting an Internet connection extender if you were having trouble with a weak connection. Really!? In this day and age. Give me a break. Breakfast will cost you $11.50 at a minimum. The price goes up if you want an egg or bacon or something more than cereal and fruit. Coffee, to take to your room, is $2 per cup. So, all said, not for us working-class stiffs. If you have moneys to tip, spend, add extras, request a room to the "specialty rooms," maybe. My three stars represent so-so for the price. Hope this helps you.

Room Tip: Stay a little farther away if possible.
1 Thank Ron S
Thank you for your stay and for sharing your thoughts. The hotel tries to offer the services that one would expect from a full service hotel and I am truly sorry if in any way that you were made to feel that the staff was expecting tips for the service that was offered. We are here to serve the guests because they are our guest and we wish to make them feel welcomed. We do not have all of the same complimentary services that you might find at a limited service hotel, but we do try to offer a quality product that the guest will want.

Again thank you for your stay and I hope that you will consider staying at the hotel again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area. Thank you.
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Last time I was in Philly, I took advantage of a huge discount at a center city hotel. But by the time I paid for parking, it still cost more than what I paid at the Hilton at City Line recently. Granted, the location requires a short commute to downtown, but the price is way more reasonable, and the accommodations themselves, while a little less fancy than the expensive downtown hotel, were clean and pleasant. If you are lucky, you can park free on the street. Otherwise, for $10 per 24 hours with unlimited in and out, valet parking is available. Or park yourself in the lot for $5 each time you go in and out. The hotel, close to lovely Fairmount Park is convenient to the western suburbs and about a 10 to 15 minute drive to center city. Given the savings I would consider staying there again if I planned to visit Philly, even if most of my time were to be spent downtown.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your stay and for posting a review. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that the hotel, it's staff and the amenities offered met your needs and expecations. Thank you and i hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the area.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

Do not stay at this hotel. The service is terrible and valet careless. Guest services was called three times to restock room supplies that should have been restocked during room service. The valet damaged the front bumper of my new car (of course I cannot prove but definitely know). I encourage you to consider another hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay. I am truly sorry to have read about the issue you encountered with you car. Had this issue been brought to the attention of the hotel staff while you were here the proper steps could have been taken. Unfortunately the hotel cannot take responsibility for any damages to a guest car if it is not reported by the guest while they are still at the hotel. I hope that you are understanding of this. Thank you.

Travelers are raving about these Philadelphia hotels

Bradenton, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

We stayed here for a family wedding in town. The location was perfect. The staff was friendly and accomodating. The hotel was clean. We did have an issue with the shower leaking all over the bathroom floor which took two calls and still was not resolved. Hopefully, they will fix for future guests. There were a few minor unsightly issues, like rust on the tub and the toilet making noises. It was quiet at night, and everything else was in working order.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you very much for your stay and I hope that you enjoyed the wedding you were attending. I was pleased to read that overall the hotel and it's team met your needs and expecations, and I ahve made note of the issues you raised that could be improved on. I will be sharing you comments with the appropriate team members to make the necessary changes. Thank you and I hope that you will stay with us again the next time you are in the Philadelphia area.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I found the front desk and door staff were very welcoming. The rooms were clean and well-appointed. Except for the fridge that I had to unplug. It was walking distances for my business and steps away from Saks!! I'd stay again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Thank you for your stay and for sharing your thoughts. I was pleased to read that the hotel and it's team met your needs and expectations and helped to make your stay and enjoyable one. I hope that you will stay with us again the next time your are in the Philadelphia area for business or pleasure. Thank you.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

On the night of our arrival other guests in the hotel - I believe a soccer team - had a party with noise, screams and door slamming until 3 am! We called the hotel staff several times and nothing was done. Next couple of days our rooms were not cleaned. Absolutely horrible hotel!

1 Thank Boris D
Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns with me while you were here at the hotel and for posting a review. I am truly sorry for the experience that you had with the nosie issues during your stay from the group that was staying at the same time you were. I assure you that the issues you raised were addressed with all members of the team invovled.